My wife likes house hunter sort of shows, tonight she's watching one about folks who are buying pretty fancy ones to live in full time or for touring the country, makes our camper look pretty darn primitive 😂. Got me wondering about folks with RV/travel trailers, what kind of rig do you have and where do you like to go? 

my wife and i have a 2004 18’ tandem axle camper, we bought it and discovered the whole back end was rotted out, i rebuilt the back 10’ i rebuilt the floor under the cabinets and i plan to redo the roof this summer, while doing so i plan to remove as many roof penetrations as i possibly can including the A/C we like to go to state parks on the weekends, and have found it very nice to take to weddings etc the bathroom is cramped, the shower is tiny but it sure beats a tent. We take it to Maine every year.. except last year. I like being able to go visit friends without feeling invasive. I like going different places but feeling like home is with me. I like taking my dog. 
someday i will either buy an airstream or a school bus, on the fence there. The wife is on board with the Airstrem.. shes on the fence with the bus. 

D02AABB8-0536-48FD-9B03-1272A28DC1E3.jpeg

B0F501DF-B592-4FDB-A9EF-27F3BB30393A.jpeg

816B65AC-F4A3-4DE1-AFA8-EBB5F43B5656.jpeg

68C1DD39-2913-41FD-88DD-9F4463A49A4F.jpeg

• Like 5

Sorry, not sure how the ducks got in there.

• Haha 1

I would pull it with a pickup, but that’s just me.....😋

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6
2 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

Can’t tow both to RPRU..AAAND the wife has nowhere to ride but IN the camper when I pull it with the M. Road gear ain’t bad and you get decent mileage. 

• Haha 6
3 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

I was thinking sloooow road trip

• Haha 2

Got one a little bigger than that.

Gets hauled with pickup, but I've moved it with tractor. 

Mainly went to government parks last year, less crowded than parking lot style commercial ones.  

Same deal, had to replace a bunch of floor and seal it it up.

Most of made of junk 2x2 and that crappiest chip board you can buy.  Chipboard soaks the water and crumbles into dust.  

Two types of trailers:

1) One that leaks and the owner has fixed it or sold it someone who is 2:

2) One that leaks and the owner doesn't know about it yet

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

we had a school bus.

Raised the roof 2 feet insulated floor and walls with one inch foam  4 bunks in the rear gas stove and lights holding tanks under floor  bathroom in the rear

IH bus had a 360 pulled that and put in a 466 with a 10 speed road ranger (had it laying around seemed like the thing to do at the time)

we liked it a lot, It made a good hunting camp also 

I would do it again was as much fun to build as it was to use

The other thing I did was put 2 hydraulic jacks in the rear and 1 in front made it simple to level up and had on board gen set to keep things charged up

I never liked campers, I think you pay way to much for what you get

• Like 6

I started out with a truck camper and used that until I got married and we had child #2.  We got stuck on a rainy trip and people had to take turns standing up.  We ended up with a Jayco Hybrid camper as it is still a nice tow length but has lots of sleeping room now with 4 kids.  I like a camper that is around 26' or less so I can get into the semi modern campsites I like to camp at in MI and WI.  We went to Custer State Park in SD a couple of years back and I would like to go there again.  I've always wanted to go to Maine and pass through NH and VT.

I'm kinda on the fence with a hybrid.  It has lots of room for it's size and sleeping in a tent end on a nice warm day is hard to beat.  But rain and cold and dampness aren't all that fun in a hybrid.

camp3.jpg

camp2.jpg

camp1.jpg

• Like 5

That’s the biggest complaint everyone says with the hybrid is the condensation up here cooler so more

Agree with you on the 25 foot length giving you way more options 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, MCC said:

I'm kinda on the fence with a hybrid.  It has lots of room for it's size and sleeping in a tent end on a nice warm day is hard to beat.  But rain and cold and dampness aren't all that fun in a hybrid.

You've got a nice hybrid. 

I had a 12' tent trailer and went to 24' travel trailer.

I looked at hybrids and decided a hybrid combined at the negatives of a tent trailer with all the negatives of a travel trailer. 

I hated all the extra work of keeping everything canvas dry and having to open everything up if it got wet when packing up., hate the MPG a tall trailer eats compared to a tent trailer the height of the truck box. 

DSCN0162.jpg

• Like 1
5 hours ago, 495man said:Two types of trailers:

Sounds like a TA!!!!

• Haha 3

Started out with a 68 Starcraft pop up. Had it 10+ years. I rebuilt just about everything on it. Sold it and got a Gulf Stream conquest. It’s 29 feet from ball to bumper with a slide. They say it can sleep 9, but only if 7 are kids. The wife calls it a hotel on wheels. We like to go to a campground that has a 400 acre lake. It’s about 40 miles away. I’m ready to go and just get away for the weekend. Mike

• Like 1

I like my mountain coach. Everything is within two steps when you are in side. Only good for 2-3 people though.

IMG_20200711_152949443_HDR.jpg

IMG_20201021_161848583.jpg

• Like 6
17 hours ago, junkandcattle said:

I was thinking sloooow road trip

Yeah but think of scenery and smile on the faces of folks when you roll by waving?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Our 25'.  Its a hybrid I guess.  Never heard that term.  The back slides out a queen bed but its hard side.  Like a coffin for 2.  It does kinda suck climbing over 1 to go pee or something but the lay out is good.  Can easy make a sadwich or whatever without opening slides.  Youngest kids growing and the loveseat bed is prob only got a year till she just cant fit.  There is a bunk bed along front wall.  

We go inland 80% of time.  Dry.  Never let it park outside but when camping.  I should reseal the roof.  But so far so good ...no known water issues.   We really like in July our  church campout 13 miles up the hill.  Close and beautiful private campground.  Go there 2x a year.  Really what to do Jellystone next summer.  We'll see...she want to go with this same group for a week every summer. And I have had enough of the same group...

Friend from Church father has a place in Twisp WA 4 hr inland too.  Really nice county.  Cattle county being infiltrated by idiots jerks from the coast unfortunately.  Beautiful campground/property with 10 full hooks along the river.   We kinda like the 3 night deals vs 6 7 night.  Easier to pack and such.  We generally dont go too far from town but thats fine now.  Kids and her always need something or we go as a group into town for waterslides or pizza 1 day.  I like to keep it to 3 families.  Feels like when its 6 there are too many chiefs and not enough indians and we kinda sit there in lock what to do etc.  An with certain folks if you say "were doing X!!", they get butt hurt they wanted to do Y so whine and B.  I say its vacation.  If I sit and study the atlas and you wanna go hiking I am cool.  If you wanna stay an nap and I go for a bike ride great.  I cant sleep in so I find coffee every morning and stumble back to camp830ish and make breakfast for the girls.  I really like that, coffee and some oddball back road of gravel  Gravel is therapeutic imho.  We dont need to be all attached at the hip and have so minute by minute plan.  We booked 5 spots at a , oh my word....DIFFERENT campground no one has been too for our big group event.  Sacrilege!!  I get sick of waiting for the cats to herd up and consensus[need to book in WA at leaaaast 9 months ahead to get a spot] so me and her just click and pay and say "everyone we are going here and if you want in let us know and you owe $."  Always easier and they all sign up and if they dont I find new people who are more interesting anyways.  This season at the NEW PLACE we tied down 5 spots.  2 of the 3 normal crew are IN.  the 4th family has got 300 ? and blah blah.  Its a state park everyone we know loves and is reviewed amazing wth are you worried about?  In the next few week I may cancel the extra spots....opps you guy cant make it now....  darn.  ;)

That being said often our best times are just us and the 3 girls.  Our trip our time.  Wifes group here just are flabbergasted we camp alone.  How can you spend time with your family alone?  Or even go for dinner aloone?  Its weird imho.

20200414_195901.jpg

20200705_123500.jpg

• Like 2
9 hours ago, MCC said:

I started out with a truck camper and used that until I got married and we had child #2.  We got stuck on a rainy trip and people had to take turns standing up.  We ended up with a Jayco Hybrid camper as it is still a nice tow length but has lots of sleeping room now with 4 kids.  I like a camper that is around 26' or less so I can get into the semi modern campsites I like to camp at in MI and WI.  We went to Custer State Park in SD a couple of years back and I would like to go there again.  I've always wanted to go to Maine and pass through NH and VT.

camp3.jpg

camp2.jpg

camp1.jpg

8 foot camper? Torsion tie downs? How do/did you like them? I have a 9.5 adventurer and I’ve stayed over the years with chain and turnbuckle ties to the belly bars, thought of changing but didn’t because of a bunch of bumpy gravel roads and wanted it firm in the box.

This is my entry. I haven't had a chance to use it much in the last few years, I'm just too busy. Maybe this summer.

Actually it has been sitting on the property next to mine longer than I lived here. The story is a friend of his moved it in and was living in it for a while before skipping town. I talked to the owner a couple years ago about dismantling it just to get it gone but I haven't gotten to it and don't know how bad I really want to. 

20210411_175431.jpg

• Haha 3

We bought a 37’ raptor 1/2 toy hauler in ‘08 for an east coast run, after talking with different road warriors we were told DO NOT bring a fiver towards New York because of the low level parkways, if we did we would have to drive around to find roads going in, so then we bought 9.5 camper and been happy with it and our wrangler toad gets us away from using the truck for transportation, we didn’t have a toad in ‘08 but used enterprise a lot, New York was great as we stayed in jersey city everything was train and subway, leaving yankee stadium at midnight and not worried about getting home was a treat, been camping and using motor camping for years and even at our ages we still live it.

and the fiver is great for living in and leaving as one bolted door and drive away with faith of safety.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

This is my entry. I haven't had a chance to use it much in the last few years, I'm just too busy. Maybe this summer.

Actually it has been sitting on the property next to mine longer than I lived here. The story is a friend of his moved it in and was living in it for a while before skipping town. I talked to the owner a couple years ago about dismantling it just to get it gone but I haven't gotten to it and don't know how bad I really want to. 

20210411_175431.jpg

I dont know officer i was lighting a cigarettes and the whole thing just went poof!  I was in shock so thats why it took 3 hours for me to report the fire.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
13 hours ago, 495man said:

Got one a little bigger than that.

Gets hauled with pickup, but I've moved it with tractor. 

Mainly went to government parks last year, less crowded than parking lot style commercial ones.  

Same deal, had to replace a bunch of floor and seal it it up.

Most of made of junk 2x2 and that crappiest chip board you can buy.  Chipboard soaks the water and crumbles into dust.  

Two types of trailers:

Lived in an old house trailer (sorry - manufactured housing unit) with three buddies for a year of college.  We accused each other of peeing in the hall till we finally figured out the roof leaked, and it puddled in the hall.

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1
22 minutes ago, TroyDairy said:

I dont know officer i was lighting a cigarettes and the whole thing just went poof!  I was in shock so thats why it took 3 hours for me to report the fire.

That thought crossed my mind but then I start thinking. I could maybe make a nice trailer out of the frame and axles, you know because I really need another project to work on. Also there is nothing better than a half ass trailer that really doesn't work well for anything when a decent trailer can be bought for probably less than what I would have into repurposing that junk.

• Haha 1
8 hours ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

That thought crossed my mind but then I start thinking. I could maybe make a nice trailer out of the frame and axles, you know because I really need another project to work on. Also there is nothing better than a half ass trailer that really doesn't work well for anything when a decent trailer can be bought for probably less than what I would have into repurposing that junk.

Get a dumpster and a tractor. Scrap the frame. Don’t repurposed the frame. You’ll be better off in the long run. Rv frames are quite lite. 

• Like 2

I go camping 4 nights a week. 70 inch bunk, twin sized bed, refrigerator and microwave. Only camping I have ever done!

• Haha 3
3 minutes ago, Lazy WP said:

I go camping 4 nights a week. 70 inch bunk, twin sized bed, refrigerator and microwave. Only camping I have ever done!

Can you reach your hot pocket in the microwave without getting out of bed? 

• Haha 1