Looking to upgrade my 220 centerline gps to one with mapping. I used a raven spreading lime and realized what I've been missing out on. No steering, just guidance for spraying and fertilizer. I would like to stay away from one you have to pay for monthly. I do not need that much accuracy. I am not planting with it. 

A while back I'm pretty sure Zach Grant mentioned how to use a tablet and receiver for a cheap setup. It's been a few years since then so what's out there. I'd be ok with buying a tablet and installing a reciever if it was less than the 2k bill of a raven or Trimble 250. What's out there, I need some guidance. Literally. 

9 minutes ago, Missouri Mule said:

Looking to upgrade my 220 centerline gps to one with mapping. I used a raven spreading lime and realized what I've been missing out on. No steering, just guidance for spraying and fertilizer. I would like to stay away from one you have to pay for monthly. I do not need that much accuracy. I am not planting with it. 

A while back I'm pretty sure Zach Grant mentioned how to use a table and receiver for a cheap setup. It's been a few years since then so what's out there. I'd be ok with buying a tablet and installing a reciever if it was less than the 2k bill of a raven or Trimble 250. What's out there, I need some guidance. Literally. 

Old used Trimble 500's on just WAAS can be had pretty reasonable, better than looking at that credit card size screen on the 250................Get the T2 box and a ez-steer while your at it.

A tech savvy guy could piece one together as you mention, or mix and match used components and form a working unit.

I had been looking for a low cost way to hook my dad up with gps for planting since his vision has gotten so poor. I was checking Ebay and found below link, I couldn't get the listed price at work with my employee discounts. As mentioned, a 250 has a small screen and lacks some features but once you have a line set, you don't need much interface.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TRIMBLE-EZ-Guide-250-Display-EZ-Steer-Steering-System-w-Ag15-Antenna/223799999344?epid=4026509034&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item341b84fb70:g:AP8AAOSwi7xd-UBI&amdata=enc%3AAQAFAAACgBaobrjLl8XobRIiIML1V4Imu%2Fn%2BzU5L90Z278x5ickkgCVySCgrNFPU8Iu85TabMOwIh7bVGkUTqiXe%2FiQ2AOfQA1URIbYQ6U8dF2WVT8OgmQ5FeiZziv%2BsrZxAwD8Rpip64nyvYbPRPLBI4D7v64jsUgf%2BI75YpZgLLPhR1Ytxo7slw%2F0ViVhpGRmiMz8bw5%2BoXBobQsZtavLz0IHLuIdFbDV%2FnG%2B2fOqUxsLWJFFV4v%2BquyjFkMcSnCA5bSZvBlpgMX8cZMLiLPRXnjpU4pJjRlmYYVu6Ry%2FvJSrxiYHsp0ygUSYsZpHaS7%2FekuGDGpGPK3t2jKI7J6q4%2BUoy2iTRMxZQ5khMnbUMKnmN2HECrIsM%2FwO0QA%2Fxy363QYRorVPwIoR1vqP46AXMvsP4Mr8WxY27Z%2BkMCrSZ1BbwWVCBYfHWCruMG3CfDPlb2%2FcB227D8i9LERUwWaQlo%2BtYILqZxTc2mzBjBIqVTp0spRwAEaJIErs5wZjkyBaljhTiOR0IiyskBc9HwyHuxijglW1OYEbOU6EvyqssRQDHHrenIOKgJdS2vKBiWNteYUXxDAgl5IZfwL26q8xSgrERCzyovZNgFYVV%2B0sv91J8dXboVPEI3LgHb%2Br5xvBkZRgxuficvjoEhXAkGvU4St4UjOpEXYARRdPqt3OgjGDL3IzoHhqzHJdNymKF14cnMjwbfhInmB7sTSCdyTYB57SL2hwfG5PviRmJ46GgRo3iqosT3AR2Vi7evUDIorXwT8RA0sYxYIsHKHaJT2e83Ky1lyvWJRz2BbBBYVlcgYErf9nUklm5rhaz4viaj25XgYQXwbyEvXKbZHLvL0vW8QvuUBU%3D|cksum%3A22379999934433f925c3e5914d2e8022effaf069d157|ampid%3APL_CLK|clp%3A2334524

I use a t jet matrix 570 I picked up used. It works great for guidance and mapping. It's capable of autosteer but I can't afford it for now.

I think guidance and mapping could be done with a tablet. Just write an app!

Thx-Ace 

IMO, I think the steering is as much or move valuable than the any of the other features and should be considered...................Especially on jobs like spraying or applying fertilizer, even on Waas, you can't steer that good on 60ft passes.  

On 4/10/2021 at 11:21 AM, TP from Central PA said:

Old used Trimble 500's on just WAAS can be had pretty reasonable, better than looking at that credit card size screen on the 250................Get the T2 box and a ez-steer while your at it.

I've been told the 500 is no longer repairable when it needs it. I'm sure someone somewhere is fixing them but just what I was told when looking. Same as the Outback s3. Around here those ones are sure no cheaper than any others. 

I've been looking for a better unit with mapping and guidance and probably will add auto steer and have it down to a trimble 250 or 750 if cheap enough, and the outback sts or stx. Although the new rebels are sure priced decent for brand new.

21 hours ago, acem said:

I think guidance and mapping could be done with a tablet. Just write an app!

Thx-Ace 

There is apps available to do guidance. I tried a couple free ones using my phone a few years ago but it wasn't great. Now if I would pay for an app I'm sure it would be alot better and would need a Bluetooth receiver. Which I think I am going to try this spring. I got a extra tablet and nothing to lose. Just need it for guidance

28 minutes ago, db1486 said:

I've been told the 500 is no longer repairable when it needs it. I'm sure someone somewhere is fixing them but just what I was told when looking. Same as the Outback s3. Around here those ones are sure no cheaper than any others. 

I've been looking for a better unit with mapping and guidance and probably will add auto steer and have it down to a trimble 250 or 750 if cheap enough, and the outback sts or stx. Although the new rebels are sure priced decent for brand new.

I heard that too, but in my experience they seem to be more reliable than the 750's, I sure hope they got the bugs worked out of those from when they first came out.  

There used to be a fellow advertising  on Kijiji here setting up laptops to run mapping and guidance I believe. No auto steer of course I don’t think. I don’t know what kind of accuracy they were getting but it seemed to be a cheaper option. Think it was around 4-600$. 

we have 2 older outback s3 monitors set up with auto steer and the sprayer has sectional control as well.  We had the one screen replaced just before outback quit supporting them. There’s a fellow not far from here that is repairing them now thoug. Chdp ventures is the name. He works on all brands. I’m not certain but I thik it’s Christian A. Herrnböck. Some might recognize the name from other forums online. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2021 at 7:34 PM, db1486 said:

There is apps available to do guidance. I tried a couple free ones using my phone a few years ago but it wasn't great. Now if I would pay for an app I'm sure it would be alot better and would need a Bluetooth receiver. Which I think I am going to try this spring. I got a extra tablet and nothing to lose. Just need it for guidance

Your gonna need a reciever for any accuracy at all. Your phones gps is good to about 10' I believe. I just ordered a ardu simple dual band gps reciever to plug into my tablet via a hdmi cable. I am planning on giving the ag open gps a try. It appears to be better than most bought software and it's free. I did have to buy a windows 10 compatable tablet as well however I've been needing one for home and haven't done it so I'm calling that a wash. This reciever was around $300 with a good dual band antenna. They call it a starter kit. I can build up from there later. That's the cool thing about this outfit. You can add anything to it that you would ever need. I also need to order a tablet mount from amazon for $25 which uses ram mount. I'm hoping it works out for me. We will see, and if the experiment doesn't work I'm really only out the cost of reciever. There's tons of guys going this route so I'm not sure how it went work. For now I'll just run on waas free stuff. 

• Like 2

I'm amazed at how tech savvy some farmers are now. Kids went off to school for computer programming and returned to the farm for helping or whatever. Lots of guys automating their equipment for their older parents or what have you. I realized how much I dont know about computers by this little project. 

2 hours ago, Missouri Mule said:

I'm amazed at how tech savvy some farmers are now. 

That is good and bad................When the signal goes down, suddenly everything is a paper weight because nobody can run it other wise. 

24 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

That is good and bad................When the signal goes down, suddenly everything is a paper weight because nobody can run it other wise. 

It’s a real problem alright. So far haven’t had much if any downtime due to it and no misses or skips with the sprayer because of it.  Seeding gets a little frustrating some days as occasionally the satellite drift will get real bad and you have to snap your a-b line every pass. Sometimes even more often on the same pass. When that happens I just go back to freehand as it just gets aggravating  lol.  If the signal does go down when I’m spraying I’m pretty much done. Foam marker hasn’t been used on our sprayer probably since it was new. 

15 hours ago, Missouri Mule said:

Your gonna need a reciever for any accuracy at all. Your phones gps is good to about 10' I believe. I just ordered a ardu simple dual band gps reciever to plug into my tablet via a hdmi cable. I am planning on giving the ag open gps a try. It appears to be better than most bought software and it's free. I did have to buy a windows 10 compatable tablet as well however I've been needing one for home and haven't done it so I'm calling that a wash. This reciever was around $300 with a good dual band antenna. They call it a starter kit. I can build up from there later. That's the cool thing about this outfit. You can add anything to it that you would ever need. I also need to order a tablet mount from amazon for $25 which uses ram mount. I'm hoping it works out for me. We will see, and if the experiment doesn't work I'm really only out the cost of reciever. There's tons of guys going this route so I'm not sure how it went work. For now I'll just run on waas free stuff. 

Does Missouri have a free CORS network you can tie into to receive corrections? I didn’t have any base stations close to me here so I ended up setting up my own base operating out of my house and broadcasting corrections over the internet. It was cheap and pretty simple to set up. Waas is good enough for tillage, spreading fertilizer, and spraying in solid seeded crops but rowcrops really need rtk. 

It won’t be long before you’re upgrading to auto steer ;)

• Like 1
On 4/21/2021 at 7:38 AM, ZG6E said:

Does Missouri have a free CORS network you can tie into to receive corrections? I didn’t have any base stations close to me here so I ended up setting up my own base operating out of my house and broadcasting corrections over the internet. It was cheap and pretty simple to set up. Waas is good enough for tillage, spreading fertilizer, and spraying in solid seeded crops but rowcrops really need rtk. 

I think so. .maybe kept up by modot. I have some questions about your setup. I have hills and trees, so that means I need to go over the internet. Cell service is marginal so that's out. What's my options here? I'm a newbie. Dumb it down for me here 

On 4/21/2021 at 7:43 AM, ZG6E said:

It won’t be long before you’re upgrading to auto steer ;)

I know. I bought the ardu simple rtk 2b setup that is the starter kit. All you have to do is add on to it. They utilize the same reciever and you just add whatever. Really to me getting setup with RTK is a bigger hurdle than setting up a auto steer motor. Maybe it's just because I dont fully understand it. 

Not wanting to derail this topic but I have an EZGuide 500 in my 1066 sprayer tractor. Basically just use it to show coverage  and make sure I'm not overlapping or skipping. I have this tractor on my 6 row planter now and am just using it for a MPH readout. (Don't have my 5288 together yet which goes on the 12 row.) 🥴I set some AB lines and just followed the markers. This thing was telling me to move over between 1 to 4 feet at times! If I did what what it was telling me to do I'd have a pretty ugly corn field. Is satellite drift that bad? I couldn't imagine trying to plant with this and EZ Steer. I also have a 250 in my other 1066 I incorporate chemicals with. A lot simpler and easy to use.

KIMG1349.thumb.JPG.b6810ed0cb38f6c59af5448d5d7e3e8f.JPG

• Like 1

Are you on RTK or just using free sattelites? Based off my limited knowledge your accuracy goes from phenomenal to marginal pretty quick without a correction. 

Both are on Waas, free satellites. The 500 is unlocked to Omnistar (I think) but haven't checked into using that.