I've been working on an 886 replacing brakes and fixing some leaks. It's serial number 14507. It has the 360 and an electric diff lock. Early 1979 production according to my Hotline book. Approximately when did they go to the 358? I know of several here with both engines. According to the parts manual the mechanical pedal diff lock went to electric at number 12998.  Just curious is only reason for asking. 

This 886 sold a few weeks ago 3 miles from my place.  Serial number 14710 so really close and it has the 358 German diesel. Also a 1979 model. It had a turbo added and had coolant in the oil and still brought $7500. 

187587913_GaryV886.jpg.bc9f797a8f939da450b1ebb32f1b9851.jpg

• Like 1
On 4/10/2021 at 6:50 PM, messer9696 said:

D-358 engine parts book says 886 chassis s/n 14472 and above. Not sure why yours has the D-360.

Perhaps a typo in the parts book or a pre production mockup machine?  Maybe a replacement transmission with the wrong serial number?  

15 hours ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

Perhaps a typo in the parts book or a pre production mockup machine?  Maybe a replacement transmission with the wrong serial number?  

The owner bought it one year old with 400 hours. I've done most of the work on it since and the rear end housing is original. Serial tag is by the hydraulic filter. 

3 hours ago, FarmerFixEmUp said:

The owner bought it one year old with 400 hours. I've done most of the work on it since and the rear end housing is original. Serial tag is by the hydraulic filter. 

Looking into the past of these machines sure is interesting!

1 hour ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

Looking into the past of these machines sure is interesting!

Yes it is. This guy is in his mid 80's. His big tractor before that was a 656 diesel he traded for the 886. He never farmed over 200 acres. He still plants with his 560 diesel and a 4 row 7000 planter. There aren't many small farmers like this around anymore. 

He says the AC hasn't worked right since he bought it but doesn't want it fixed either.  He says he doesn't like cold air blown in his face. Just open the windows he says. 

About 6200 hours. He had new rod and main bearings put in at around 3500 hours.  New clutch and TA last summer.