I've never run a Massey, but

Steve C.

I wouldn't mind taking this old girl out for a few rounds.  Saw this at the thresherman's show in Pinckneyville a few years ago.

How 'bout the rest of you?  Any experience with them?

0818182349.jpg

• Like 3

A farm up the way from me has(had?) one of those.

Always sat out in the weather, always ran when he needed it.

The farmer passed a few years back, don't know if his kids still have it.

Quite a few of the diary farms had masseys around here.

Never got to drive any MF’s or even been up close to one in action in the field. I always used to think they were pretty lame for not having frame rails but just using the engine itself to connect to the front end of the tractor. 

Still have my 165 I bought when I was 18 and an 1100 Dad bought in the early 80's. Both good tractors.

Worst piece of iron to ever travel this road was a 2745, the rear end never gave out but everything else did got it sold before it broke me

Only massey I was ever around was a MH 33 with a stanhoist loader. Wasn't very old but drove it and even started it with the crank a few times by myself I believe. 

We owned a 1150 for awhile.  Still have the manual for it.  It was reliable but a loud dusty miserable SOB to run.  Nobody missed it when it got traded for a JD 4640.  I think that was the tractor that fooled IH into putting the 1468 on the market. 

The guy who we get our meat from bought an 1805 last year. I usually help him in the spring put crops in so I might spend some time in it this spring.

At one time massy was the largest selling tractor in the world, Very big in third world country's

I remember seeing a lot of them in the 60's

The last year i farmed I traded the 1486 for a 2775 massey. That was a huge up grade in power. That 640 cubic  inch engine had power I wasn't used to. Awesome tractor to drive. 

I had a Massey 175 that i used for hay work along with the 806. Done a good job for me and always ran when I needed it.

7 hours ago, Rick G. said:

Never got to drive any MF’s or even been up close to one in action in the field. I always used to think they were pretty lame for not having frame rails but just using the engine itself to connect to the front end of the tractor. 

IIRC older Cat crawlers did it that way

16 minutes ago, Ian Beale said:

So did Case up until the 90 series. 

A guy in this area had an 1155. No muffler and it just bellered like an old bull. It started jumping out of 2nd gear all the time and he was told it would cost more than the tractor was worth to fix it. Then it went to a salvage yard and he bought a 4640.  He wishes he would have fixed it now when he compares fuel usage. 

8 hours ago, Rick G. said:

And at this moment I set in a JD 8300 seeding hay that uses the engine as the frame.  Pretty successful tractor for JD too.

looked at a 175 at one point... looked good but had a creepy feeling about it. I think they looked kinda cool...I really don't know any die hard Massey guys, maybe that says something. 

I ran an 1150 on an 18’ disk years ago. I think that I was 9-10 years old, I don’t remember much, as far as fuel consumption and power. From what I remember, it ran good, and handled the disk just fine.

3 hours ago, Ian Beale said:

? But they learned better when they wanted a dozer on the front of most of them. ? I would guess wheel tractors are the same, no frame rail is ok if no loader.

The 100 series was generally liked but the bigger ones never got that popular in this part of the world.

Almost bought a 1135 once. A fairly local guy owned it. The only thing that stopped me was the serial tag was missing, and I didn't get the warm and fuzzy about his response to me asking where it was. Probably nothing but the last thing I wanted was a stolen tractor. I remember that perkins sounded cool as heck. 

41 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

I really don't know any die hard Massey guys, maybe that says something. 

Never met my grandfather and his brother................they looked for broken stuff just to have a reason to drive to the Massey dealer.   Was around bigger ones never got to run them, but the smaller ones.................Lets just say the little bit of time I had running them was enough for me for one lifetime.  

11 hours ago, Rick G. said:

When CIH went from the MX Maxxum to the MXM they went from a huge forward frame and an isomounted engine to no forward frame at all. Agco has some frameless stuff as well. Not my cup of tea. YouTube has plenty of videos of tractors getting pulled in half and the common factor is almost invariably that they have no forward frame, i.e. a 100% structural engine. 

1 hour ago, vtfireman85 said:

looked at a 175 at one point... looked good but had a creepy feeling about it. I think they looked kinda cool...I really don't know any die hard Massey guys, maybe that says something. 

The die hard Massey guys that I was going to mention as a rebuttal I guess are mostly deceased, retired or not die hard(100% Massey) for say the last 10-15 years, but up until the early 2000s there was a bunch of them around, Massey Ferguson was a Canadian company for many years and I think that played a role in there popularity around home I think

I don’t know what scared you about the 175 but they are a darn good tractor, first tractor I drove was a 175, my gramps had 2 175s, a 65, 1085, 1130, my dad kept one of the 175s from gramps for years but eventually sold it, Dad had an 1135 that that we farmed with, he still has a 50C that we meticulously restored, Dad always swore that the Massey utility tractors(165,175, then 255,265... etc) were the best of their time, apparently sometime close to the announcement of the demise of IH while Dad was working at an IH dealership he said to the owner of the place that now we know IH will never build a better utility tractor than a Massey, funny story but still just someone’s opinion, in my opinion a Massey 65 or 165 is a better tractor than a 504 IH, a 35 or 135 Massey is as good as a B414, 434, 444 but is easier to get on and off, once you get into a 574 and newer IH utility I think it comes down to personal preference, a 684/574 etc is a good tractor and definitely has a nicer shift setup than say a 265 but the 265 doesn’t have shift linkages to wear out/seize/etc, the earlier models of Massey utilities like say a 65/165 have a mechanical steering system that when equipped with power steering the power steering is controlled by a manual valve same idea as say a 67 mustang, it can not work because of loose parts and such but once you hit a 255 Massey it has hydrostatic steering, wet brakes, hydraulic independent PTO, also later 255s have the 236 Perkins instead of the 203, same engine as the 265, 236 Perkins is the most produced Diesel engine of all time so they are affordable to rebuild, also dry sleeved 

In my area in the period of say 1955-1985, almost every farm around  had a Ferguson/Massey in the 35-85hp range, the smaller dairy farms say milking 25 cows and 200 acres cropped had all Massey tractors with the biggest being something like a 255 or a 285, the only 6 cylinder powered farm equipment on the farm was the slant six powered MF 300 Combine, the only exception to every farm having at least one Massey was the pockets of John Deere die hards but even some of them had a Massey combine, or small square baler