DT 414 parts sources

DaveinSD

We tore into the DT414 in the pay loader at work this week and it’s overhaul time. I’ve located a Federal Mogul kit, but we also need a new cam and lifters. (three wiped cam lobes) What are the best options and sources for a cam?

Good question , Getting very hard to find overhaul parts for these motors other than Reliance  I have a 436 engine torn down now wanting to use clevite bearings if anyone knows a source to get them I'd love to know 

HyCapacity has anything you'll need for that engine. But not Clevite brand. HyCapacity sells Maxxforce brand. I know there are some on here that would never use this brand and all that but there isn't any brand everyone agrees on. Personally I have installed 5 of there overall kits. Not a lot, but I've not had any problems with the parts. The hours these engines have accumulated range from 350 - 5800. Just my opinion.

4 hours ago, DaveinSD said:

We tore into the DT414 in the pay loader at work this week and it’s overhaul time. I’ve located a Federal Mogul kit, but we also need a new cam and lifters. (three wiped cam lobes) What are the best options and sources for a cam?

Berry Cam in Minnesota can fix your lifters. He just resurfaced all the lifters in the D282 I’m working on, and checked the cam, if I remember correctly, $195 to keep original parts!! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ksfarmdude said:

Good question , Getting very hard to find overhaul parts for these motors other than Reliance  I have a 436 engine torn down nd wanting to use clevite bearings if anyone knows a source to get them I'd love to know 

I was just told that clevite is now Chinese?! I’m not sure, just what I was told

5 hours ago, ksfarmdude said:

Good question , Getting very hard to find overhaul parts for these motors other than Reliance  I have a 436 engine torn down nd wanting to use clevite bearings if anyone knows a source to get them I'd love to know 

Call Dons diesel lawrence ks 

son and mom shop

We have reground lifters in the past for pulling engines.  But as of lately for my long term rebuilds and the last build I bought a set of SBI lifters the Navistar off of Ebay are the same as the C263-C301.  SBI is a big engine replacement parts manufacturer from what I remember from working at a engine machine shop years ago.  My concern with resurfaced lifters is removing the surface hardness lifters for long term longevity.

I belive in assembly lube and proper cam break in and oil.

I am still regrinding the cams from Vogel or Berry, request the ~10% plus hp on regrind.

4 minutes ago, 460 said:

We have reground lifters in the past for pulling engines.  But as of lately for my long term rebuilds and the last build I bought a set of SBI lifters the Navistar off of Ebay are the same as the C263-C301.  SBI is a big engine replacement parts manufacturer from what I remember from working at a engine machine shop years ago.  My concern with resurfaced lifters is removing the surface hardness lifters for long term longevity.

I belive in assembly lube and proper cam break in and oil.

I am still regrinding the cams from Vogel or Berry, request the ~10% plus hp on regrind.

I wondered if there is something like spray welding that can renew it to be reground 

HyCap offers a reman camshaft for a DT414.  I had them regrind a camshaft for a DT407 for me last year, and I was well satisfied with the cam when it was sent back to me.

12 minutes ago, bitty said:

I wondered if there is something like spray welding that can renew it to be reground 

Most cam guys like Berry or I believe Vogel can repair a lobe by welding if you cannot obtain a better core.  In most cases they just reshape the lobe by changing the smaller base circle.  My C291 has been regrind and has just over .500 lift at stock rpm.

• Thanks 1