Best 16.9 38 for pulling?

I have this 560, runs really strong has a 301 with domed pistons. I pull in hobby stock and 1st gear class, gravel and dirt tracks. i start at 6500lbs and go up to 9500lbs. I am going to put fluid in the rear tires but I don't like that idea with the cracking thats they have. What type of tire would work best for me? 20210409_140431.thumb.jpg.b67d51385414e4ae4e6b34485b350872.jpgScreenshot_20190728-134129_Gallery.thumb.jpg.0abcfa3133ce5b33548e881474ca7462.jpgScreenshot_20190728-134045_Gallery.thumb.jpg.f92162751a18f06e4654215edf418528.jpg

21 minutes ago, IH FARMS said:

Firestone Deep Thread. Really stiff deep lugged tire.

Just looked them up, i figered one of the most spendy ones would be the first suggestion haha.

Honest opinion, what does better the more angled tread like these in the pic or the 23 degree ones? Also skinny tread vrs thick? These tires in the pic is a good price so thought I would have them as an option but like I said I want somthing that does good and won't spend the money unless it's what I need. But also can't go to crazy with money.Screenshot_20210409-154258_Google.thumb.jpg.1ddade4f3c087e14b6a53dd4d859f03f.jpgScreenshot_20210409-154620_Chrome.thumb.jpg.184d8f0eb16590fcaf3e39bf2634d67d.jpg

Just some info for you all. Last year I replaced the tires on 9380 and wanted 20.8 -42 Firestone deep treads like the other tractor has. Got them from dealer who had three tires , 8 month old brand new in stock. Dealer got the rest fresh from Firestone Des Moines. The "new " Deep Treads were 2" narrower at tread than new old stock. Fit 18" wide rim fine but tread was narrower. He got them back and found 5 new old stock somewhere that matched. Good luck.

When deciding about buying the deep treads , dealer tried selling me Michelin Agri bib 2. Dealer said they had better luck with the stubble damage warranty from Michelin vs. Firestone. I chose Firestone DT because the Michelin had 2 or 3 fewer lugs around circumference  of tire. Guess what, one spring season and I had an inside flat , stubble went through Firestone tire. Tractor used on chiseled bean stubble and plowed and V ripped corn stalks.

25 minutes ago, Worth Co. farmer said:

When deciding about buying the deep treads , dealer tried selling me Michelin Agri bib 2. Dealer said they had better luck with the stubble damage warranty from Michelin vs. Firestone. I chose Firestone DT because the Michelin had 2 or 3 fewer lugs around circumference  of tire. Guess what, one spring season and I had an inside flat , stubble went through Firestone tire. Tractor used on chiseled bean stubble and plowed and V ripped corn stalks.

One thing is I can't use radials in my class, also I was told by some less tread on older tires will outpull the new stuff, also worried about digging in and piling up in front of the pulling skid, so I'm welcome for info cause a farm tire won't pull on a track like it does in the field.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Rusty shackleford said:

One thing is I can't use radials in my class, also I was told by some less tread on older tires will outpull the new stuff, also worried about digging in and piling up in front of the pulling skid, so I'm welcome for info cause a farm tire won't pull on a track like it does in the field.

1 hour ago, IH FARMS said:

Firestone Deep Thread. Really stiff deep lugged tire.

Deep lugs that bend back under a hard pull will give up traction over a shorter lug that doesn’t bend.    

• Like 3

I do have new tubes in the cracked tires I have on there, would they be trested with fluid and pull more with em or you guys not trust em? The tires I have acutely do really good just worried about the cracking

i replaced my cracked goodyears with  15.5 x38 titans. wanted firestone but the price turned me off. BKT would have been my next choice. i will be pulling it also.

IMG_1151.JPG

IMG_1111 (1).JPG

29 minutes ago, lightninboy said:

I never conceived of anybody pulling with fluid unless it was out-of-the-field stock tractor.

90 percent of the time I pull 1st gear only class, the engine on mine is 100 percent ih stock, has hight altitude pistons but they are ih amd no work has been don't to it . Won't be alot of fluid, mostly enough to make it so I can be at 6500 lbs without any weights on it so I don't have to hang all them weights on when I get to 9500lbs

32 minutes ago, lightninboy said:

I never conceived of anybody pulling with fluid unless it was out-of-the-field stock tractor.

Yup, hard to move that weight around:lol:  Tires that really work around here is old, hard worn safemarks with the big wide lugs(That didn't work worth a crap in the field) ...............I personally like an old 45 degree tires though myself(riverside comes to mind).  Road worn Firestones are ok too.  Only thing I would avoid is long bar short bar anything.................

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rusty shackleford said:

I do have new tubes in the cracked tires I have on there, would they be trested with fluid and pull more with em or you guys not trust em? The tires I have acutely do really good just worried about the cracking

4 hours ago, Rusty shackleford said:

Honest opinion, what does better the more angled tread like these in the pic or the 23 degree ones? Also skinny tread vrs thick? These tires in the pic is a good price so thought I would have them as an option but like I said I want somthing that does good and won't spend the money unless it's what I need. But also can't go to crazy with money.Screenshot_20210409-154258_Google.thumb.jpg.1ddade4f3c087e14b6a53dd4d859f03f.jpgScreenshot_20210409-154620_Chrome.thumb.jpg.184d8f0eb16590fcaf3e39bf2634d67d.jpg

23° seem to work better from what I have seen than 45° .

On your cracked tires I would run them until they fail .

• Thanks 1

One word...Radial.  If the rules allow especially on gravel.

I was luck enough to find a Good Year Radial 16.9x38 and build a hitch that bolts to the tube that I can adjust forward and back depending on track conditions but keep it at 20" height.

20191020_180202.jpg

1 hour ago, 460 said:

One word...Radial.  If the rules allow especially on gravel.

I was luck enough to find a Good Year Radial 16.9x38 and build a hitch that bolts to the tube that I can adjust forward and back depending on track conditions but keep it at 20" height.

20191020_180202.jpg

No radials aloud

• Sad 1

Advice, Don't go to fluid for pulling . Your distance will come up short . Years of fun and Armstrong Maxi Tracts at 35 % "was" the best .

49 minutes ago, 801486 said:

Where are you located I have a set of worn Firestones that would be about right.  I'm in West Central Iowa.

Sleepy eye mn

Since you can't run radials.  Unless your tracks are completely gravel and poorly prepared I would stay away from new and go after used 23 degree Firestone that were offered.  You want a certain amount of slippage but also don't want to be piling the dirt in front of the sled, the advantage to a cut or worn tire.  The other is the bias long bar short bar Firestone that was only made for a short time.  But good luck finding a set in 16.9.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 460 said:

The other is the bias long bar short bar Firestone that was only made for a short time.  But good luck finding a set in 16.9.

Those things stunk.................Was a few pairs floating around in my area, only know of one set still being used. 

Not sure how the rules are setup.............but know acouple guys running 16.9's on 560's, also know some running 15.5's on 15" wide rims to flatten out the tire.  If I had to choose between them I would go with the 15.5's on the wide rims, you have more options with gears then in the heavy classes with the smaller 15.5 tire, and it doesn't seem on a good track to get it to hook better one vs the other.  But its all back to the rules you have to play in.  

Hanging, and handling all those weights is not fun, but fluid in the tires is not your friend when pulling.  My dads 1566 was loaded with fluid for years, and after it quit going to the field, and we dumped the fluid for a little lighter class, and piled on 2600 pounds of hanging weight, it pulls much better!! Found that out with a 1466 years ago too, took the 3 sets of wheel weights, and 10 bolt hubs off, and built a bracket to hang weights off the rear, picked up from 4-6 placing to 1-3 placing consistently.  There’s something about hanging weight, versus rolling weight?!?!

Lots of guys in my area run the old old power grips, or road worn firestone 23* radials. I see you said you can't run radials.... Don't put fluid in. Our tire guy said you can put two tractors side by side with the same weight that would amount to fluid in the tires, one has case weights on rear, the other just fluid in the tires of equal amount. Then pull something with it, and you will have more traction with the one with no fluid. He says this is because the fluid is incompressible, so the tire will not flex as much and you will loose traction. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

Those things stunk.................Was a few pairs floating around in my area, only know of one set still being used. 

Not sure how the rules are setup.............but know acouple guys running 16.9's on 560's, also know some running 15.5's on 15" wide rims to flatten out the tire.  If I had to choose between them I would go with the 15.5's on the wide rims, you have more options with gears then in the heavy classes with the smaller 15.5 tire, and it doesn't seem on a good track to get it to hook better one vs the other.  But its all back to the rules you have to play in.  

These are the tires that we used to make into V cuts using a 18.4, when me and dad were pulling with the NA 460.  They were superior to the cut F&R.