Salsa.... calling all cooks

I need a good salsa recipe. I hate the store bought in-the-jar stuff, and the local Mexican restaurant won't give me their recipe no matter how I try to bribe them.

Best stuff I ever had was in Arizona. Back in the 70's I was on my way back to San Diego and I stopped in a little hole in the wall place along some out of the way highway. (similar to one of the places you find but don't want to look in the kitchen.....these are usually the best places to eat) anyway.... I ordered my usual enchiladas. The lady (owner/cook) brought me 2 of the biggest enchiladas I have ever seen (then or since) and a tray of different sauces. The best was almost sweet to the taste.......until..... it got about half way to your stomach. Good gawd, boy howdy....that stuff would light you up. Dam* that was good. Almost wanted to drink it. The lady gave me a quick lesson in salsa making (in a mixture of spanish and english) The thing I remember was her telling me that the flavor of the peppers can change each year depending on the weather as well as where they are grown. She said the peppers grown at the base of the mountain will taste different than those grown  in the desert. Very interesting stuff.

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, lightninboy said:

Mrs. Wages is good enough in canning season here.

That’s what I use for salsa, just add tomatoes and a couple other things. 

There are many different types of salsa. There's even a music called salsa.

We often make our own but it's never exactly the same. Constant ingredients include tomatoes, peppers,  onion and almost, always cilantro. Other ingredients come and go depending on availability and personal whim. Tomatillo, garlic and lime.

Then you have the various textures. Chunky to smooth.

Thx-Ace 

Although the local groceries have many different brands of salsa, the one I prefer is PACE (HOT).  Which "walks the walk", as it is made in Paris, TX (And, NOT in New York City)

The grocery in town has "Hatch's (made in Hatch, NM) and Kylito's (made in Lubbock, TX), and I have not used the Hatch's brand, the Kylito's HOT, is not as tasty as the PACE. (Salsa has to have visible chunks of jalapeno in it to meet my standards).

However, the best of all, is pico de gallo.

There are a couple of Tex-Mex restaurants that I assume make their own, but sometimes you get 'hot', sometimes not.

The one, and only Mexican restaurant over in Bangs serves up a creamy green chili sauce, that by and large, does add extra flavor to tortilla chips and rice.

Peppers are required but good mild salsa can be made with new Mexican big jim style green chillies. Fresh pico is my favorite as well.

1 hour ago, Art From Coleman said:

Although the local groceries have many different brands of salsa, the one I prefer is PACE (HOT).  Which "walks the walk", as it is made in Paris, TX (And, NOT in New York City)

It used to be made in San Antonio. I suppose now it's made in the Campbell's Soup factory. I like Pace. Pace kind of popularized salsa back about '89 up north.

Lived in Az. for 30 years and the closest to great salsa that I have found is FRESH CRAVINGS restaurant style at Krogers stores. The medium heat is about right for me, has all the good stuff in it, but could use a touch more Cilantro I think.  

IMHO good homemade salsa for myself always starts with home grown ripe tomatoes,  grow Roma tomatoes will provide thicker less watery salsa,  sauté the peppers 🌶 in olive oil ,  Onions.  add ingredients to food processor/blender and chop it up.  Can add almost any vegetable to that base for some variations 

10 hours ago, lightninboy said:

One thing I don't like is too much liquid in salsa and then I'm dipping corn chips in liquid instead of salsa.

Use Roma tomatoes,  they are much less watery when u chop them up

11 hours ago, acem said:

There are many different types of salsa. There's even a music called salsa.

Then you have the various textures. Chunky to smooth.

Thx-Ace 

Then there is Salsa Dancing.  My personal preference is smooth as opposed to chunky!

• Haha 1

tomatoes, onions, green peppers and jalapenos are what I use when I make it myself.  I have made it using grape or cherry tomatoes to reduce water content.  I like it extra chunky.

I like to use the roma tomatoes ,onions jalapeno Hungarian wax peppers California bell peppers cilantro brown sugar garlic several others special secret seasonings. Diced the peppers onions and tomatoes chop up the cilantro you can either eat this cold or heat it on the stove put it in the refrigerator let it cool and like anything else tastes better after it's sat for a day

I forgot to add lime juice and a little bit of vinegar

Had authentic "Texicans" on the tomato crews and we got the same ones year after year, enjoyed working with them and we got to share lunches and suppers.  The stuff they made had no resemblence to anything you could buy around me, was different.  Some of it I liked, others not so much.  Their hot sauce they made definitely was more interesting than anything you could buy.  But, when it came right down to it, the one nick named "El Toro" was right when it came to my eating habits................."Americans- Big ham, big bread=big sandwich":rolleyes:    I told him it sure slid down, and eventually out alot different with their hot sauce on it!!!!!!

On 4/8/2021 at 6:14 PM, Alan Dinan said:

That’s what I use for salsa, just add tomatoes and a couple other things. 

I also use it, for a different taste used yellow tomatoes it is some of the best we have made have not had any complaints 😎

• Like 1