9 hours ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

Dad bought a set of Year-A-Round frt fenders for our '63 4010. It had 11Lx15's so had to get the wide version. We cultivated with the 4010, #400 frt mounted cultivator, the fenders had to come off to cultivate, about the second summer they didn't go back on. I'm not sure what happened to them, I dug most of the small items out of the barn for our BIG auction and don't remember finding them. Not sure where the set of rear wheel weights and two frt starter weights disappeared to either. They were on the tractor when I ran it home, they were removed when Dad painted it a month or two later but never went back on.

I remember going to my local IH dealer's Red Power Showdown demo day. Only tractor they had was a 1586 with a #720 5-16 plow in alfalfa. All the fieldwork I'd done as a kid was all on older IH or newer Deere's, I wanted to run an 86-series a bit. I'd worked at FARMALL 2-3 years, and don't think I'd even ever sat in a cab. So I hung back, finally it's just Me, the salesman, and the land owner or host, I jump in, salesman climbs in. Salesman had NO idea who I was even after I told him. I didn't get the impression he knew my Uncles or cousins who all farmed. But I plowed 2 rounds, parked the tractor and left.  I got the impression from the salesman that if I wasn't going to buy a 160 hp tractor He thought I had no business running it.

This would be great in a history book .....

• Like 1
On 4/11/2021 at 12:15 PM, 234-IA said:

can't get my hands on the correct brochure right now but am pretty sure  visors were part of the burgundy interior package along with the AM-FM 8-track player and the rear fender floodlights.  Our '79 white side panel 986 has all these things

My 1979 1486 has these same features. 

The 1486 that Dad bought new, which we still have, has all the Red Power options. Dad always said it was a 1980, and I never checked the SN #. It is actually a 79. It was also used for our dealers Red Power Showdown Days. It is not painted like a Red Power though. It has three valves, red interior, rear fender lights, sun visors, IH AM/FM without 8 track and the chrome door handles. Also a dealer install two speed PTO and it had a chrome pipe. I am not sure if it is a real late 79, will have to look at the # again. Always wanted a 79 Red Power to with our 80 and 81, then discovered our 80 was a 79 and had all the correct options for a Red Power. Since it was not a Red Power new it will not be changed though. It is the only one Dad bought new and it will stay like it is. So someday we will buy an authentic 1486 Red Power to add to our collection.

• Like 2
49 minutes ago, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

The 1486 that Dad bought new, which we still have, has all the Red Power options. Dad always said it was a 1980, and I never checked the SN #. It is actually a 79. It was also used for our dealers Red Power Showdown Days. It is not painted like a Red Power though. It has three valves, red interior, rear fender lights, sun visors, IH AM/FM without 8 track and the chrome door handles. Also a dealer install two speed PTO and it had a chrome pipe. I am not sure if it is a real late 79, will have to look at the # again. Always wanted a 79 Red Power to with our 80 and 81, then discovered our 80 was a 79 and had all the correct options for a Red Power. Since it was not a Red Power new it will not be changed though. It is the only one Dad bought new and it will stay like it is. So someday we will buy an authentic 1486 Red Power to add to our collection.

The serial number on the one we bought is 19229. So it is a early 1979 according to tractor data. I don’t know if they made any in 80 or not. But if they were a 79 factory sticker Red power it probably would have to be made in the first part of 79.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

And you didn’t comment on the big rubber on Dale’s tractor? LOL!! 😂

• Like 1

Found this on TractorData

Model years versus calendar years
Tractors, just like automobiles, are manufactured on a model or production year. The new production year usually starts around September. A tractor built in October of 1955 would have been considered a "1956" model. Serial number lists almost always show the production year, not the actual calendar year the tractor was built. This information is generally more useful, because major changes would have been made to a model at the start of the production year, not on January 1.

I was always told our 886 was a 1980, but serial number shows it as a mid to late 79'. Just guessing dad and grandpa bought it in 80' and thus called it so. Burgundy interior but no visors, fender lights, or chrome door handles. Maybe they were only on the big 86 series in 80'?