Just bought a original red power 1486. It was on a sale 70 miles away. Going to use it on baler a bit this summer.and it has had a rebuilt engine just like every 86 series I have seen.

FFAE8721-8E18-41FD-9D71-F65ED81BBDF7.png

• Like 15

More pictures, 1466 brought 7000, 806 wheatland I bid 2800, it brought 3000, row crop brought 4000. He had a real low hour Steiger 450 2013 model brought 225,000 or around that.

88684FB3-CBC5-4BDF-9844-15966D36D1F6.png

9919C5DE-323A-4728-97A7-E7ED4FD396C7.png

673834CF-9F72-47CE-A6BD-523797138FC0.png

4EF32BFE-DF5B-4112-9AE3-8E8E5AC51842.png

F17A9E72-784E-4A8E-A31C-65B3E1FB10C0.png

69029D93-0FB4-4C76-8E16-0CBC46B940D7.png

97B6308A-E3BA-442E-A267-89EA67519720.png

1605CA76-702A-433C-95FF-FDDE712F4B6B.png

5ECC3271-2D2A-45BD-B1B1-BB86FB863FB6.png

0E416926-FD91-489D-9B4C-2C4D32F15E2B.png

CF472CF7-05FC-41C9-A6F5-E92FFCD47E77.png

• Like 2

Looks like an honest machine. Good for you!

Supposed to be 3000 hours but if I had to guess I would say it’s in the 7000 range. TA holds engine fired right up after setting for a couple years. The tractor was pulled out of building for pictures. It will clean up nicely. We sold a  78 1086 last fall that was about same hours but needed rear tires and had a bill gear issue for a little less than this.

29 minutes ago, dale560 said:

but where can you find the burgundy floor mat

You can't.  Boy sure wish I would have bought a couple extras in the 80's.  

Always wondered what it would cost to have one made exactly like the originals from a place that makes auto carpet replacements for cars....

I made mine look like a Red Power 1486 but it’s really 1977.  I like the look.

E76BDA79-D39D-421D-989D-8CF9737C95E0.jpeg

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

Congrats.  So what is a Red Power??  Last year model??

It’s the 79 and 80 demonstrator model made something like 2500 of all models. Before they changed the hydraulics. Reason I bought it eventually by time I am 60 I would like to have a  786,886,986,1086,1486 and 1586. Just to have them and a 4450 jd. Just a goal in life. The red power had the burgundy interior. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

Congrats.  So what is a Red Power??  Last year model??

The Red Power was a demo model as Dale mentioned, but also introduced some changes. Such as the touch pad tachometer replacing the dial type, rear fender lights, cloth seats replaced vinul. Also the side panels were red, other 79 models before and after the Red Powers were white, then red panels became the norm on the 1980 models. They came with an 8 track or cassette player radio including a tape about all the "new and improved features and options" being introduced with the Red Power demonstrators. I purchased a brand new 1486 Red Power in the Feb/Mar of 1979, It set in the shop during my dealers open house with my name on it as the owner. What a high for a 19 yr old. It is my yard tractor today with somewhere around 17000 hrs, mostly rode hard and put away wet. My wife tossed the tape about 20 yrs ago but i still love her. I still have a letter the dealer sent me thanking me for "demoing" the tractor. There were some obligations from IH with them i suppose. My dealer did want it back for Red Power Demo Days or something like that the following August for a day.  My dealer got my 1486 and a 1086 in the Red Power, the dealers son got the 1086. "We're aiming to make IH your tractor brand" was the slogan that went along with the branding iron decal IIRC.

• Like 2

Thought the Red Powers were 3 valves, chrome door handles, red interior, rear fender lights and the decals. Maybe not all had the three valves, but pretty sure a bunch did. They also went back to white side panels for the rest of 79 and first part of 80. 1480 x 3 yours have three valves?

8 minutes ago, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

Thought the Red Powers were 3 valves, chrome door handles, red interior, rear fender lights and the decals. Maybe not all had the three valves, but pretty sure a bunch did. They also went back to white side panels for the rest of 79 and first part of 80. 1480 x 3 yours have three valves?

2 valves and no chrome door handles, mine came with 16 flame cut weights and i had never seen them before. I had  ordered a 1486 Dec of 1978 with 20.8 duals, 14L fronts, dual PTO [dealer install], diff lock, 2 remotes, 8 track radio, and front weights. The Red Power the dealer got had all my options except the 14L fronts. It came with 1100s. Dealer asked if I would take the Red Power if they switched front tires out, they didn't think mine would arrive for spring work. The one I ordered is on a farm about 4 mile from me, 2 owner tractor still very nice with about 4500 hrs. It was not here for spring of 79.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

The one we bought has 3 valves one coupler is missing. Don’t think it has the door handles. I think they were dealer installed and sold. I remember dad buying them a couple years after buying his 1586 and we installed them.

Was just reading the 886 thread about 358/360 info and just recalled that the Red Powers also may have introduced the electric activated diff lock as well as the options i  mentioned in a previous post. Probly more i'm forgetting also.     Bent shift levers  ?

7 minutes ago, dale560 said:

Our tractor doesn’t have diff lock but or dooor handles but it has two sun visors I have never observed on a ihc 86.

Yes forgot the visors, mine has them. Did they become an option, were they standard after the Red Powers, or only on the Red Powers  ?   Have never seen a true Red Power without visors.

Just now, 1480x3 said:

Yes forgot the visors, mine has them. Did they become an option, were they standard after the Red Powers, or only on the Red Powers  ?   Have never seen a true Red Power without visors.

A neighbor bought a true red power 1586 but I never looked hard enough to know if it had visors. His had red interior , lights and such

Like DALE560 said, 2500 tractors scheduled to build, they wanted those red round decals on both sides, 5000 decals.  Hot Rush, girl had to really expidite them. They came in, went into the warehouse, and somebody ordered them up to the finish assembly line, they used a couple hundred and everybody went home. Next morning the line workers come in and only a couple hundred left!  A six station broach right next to the main aisle that broached the splines or smooth bore in all the transmission gears had a RP decal on all six stations, most fork trucks had a couple, a couple decals got put on a semi-trailer the company I drove for hauled parts to/from and outside warehouse out in Milan, Illinois.  They had Rita order a second 5000 decals. The final line supervisor locked that batch in his desk at night. But he forgot to one night.  Think they ordered the third batch of 5000.  Cars in the employee parking lot started showing up with decals.  And there was one small order, 2000-2500.

And the BRANDING IRON decal was involved in this mess too.  I will admit I had a Red Power decal on the inside of my shop door on my little workshop.  But no branding iron.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

can't get my hands on the correct brochure right now but am pretty sure  visors were part of the burgundy interior package along with the AM-FM 8-track player and the rear fender floodlights.  Our '79 white side panel 986 has all these things

My branding iron decals came later, can't remember how much later. I will have to look at the pictures i have. Seems like my dealer put them on when they took it back in to prep for Red Power Showdown Day IIRC.  As i said in an earlier post i bought it in late winter and the dealer wanted it back for a demo day to till wheat stubble in summer. They also put Turbo stickers on it. When i ordered it in Dec of 78 in casual chat with my salesman i commented about the 86s not getting Turbo stickers when the 06/56/66s got them and how i thought they were cool. So i go to demo days to plow with my own tractor and its all detailed and has the branding irons & Turbo stickers. Salesman said he knew i liked Turbo stickers so they put a set on. They also installed the chrome door grab handles before i took it home when new, it had them when displayed at open house but not from factory, as well as Year-Around front fenders.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, 234-IA said:

can't get my hands on the correct brochure right now but am pretty sure  visors were part of the burgundy interior package along with the AM-FM 8-track player and the rear fender floodlights.  Our '79 white side panel 986 has all these things

My 1980 white side panel 1086 has burgundy interior,  visors, and rear fender flood lights 👍

4 hours ago, 1480x3 said:

They also installed the chrome door grab handles before i took it home when new, it had them when displayed at open house but not from factory, as well as Year-Around front fenders.

Dad bought a set of Year-A-Round frt fenders for our '63 4010. It had 11Lx15's so had to get the wide version. We cultivated with the 4010, #400 frt mounted cultivator, the fenders had to come off to cultivate, about the second summer they didn't go back on. I'm not sure what happened to them, I dug most of the small items out of the barn for our BIG auction and don't remember finding them. Not sure where the set of rear wheel weights and two frt starter weights disappeared to either. They were on the tractor when I ran it home, they were removed when Dad painted it a month or two later but never went back on.

I remember going to my local IH dealer's Red Power Showdown demo day. Only tractor they had was a 1586 with a #720 5-16 plow in alfalfa. All the fieldwork I'd done as a kid was all on older IH or newer Deere's, I wanted to run an 86-series a bit. I'd worked at FARMALL 2-3 years, and don't think I'd even ever sat in a cab. So I hung back, finally it's just Me, the salesman, and the land owner or host, I jump in, salesman climbs in. Salesman had NO idea who I was even after I told him. I didn't get the impression he knew my Uncles or cousins who all farmed. But I plowed 2 rounds, parked the tractor and left.  I got the impression from the salesman that if I wasn't going to buy a 160 hp tractor He thought I had no business running it.