td-6 engine wont turn over all the way

Hey guys, how large is the hole under the injector on a 49 d248? I was wondering if a small inspection camera might fit. I have one that I turned over by hand a couple dozen times and now freezes up at about half a turn. It sat for 20 years and has it's problems, but I pulled the pan and it actually looks good in there. Need help turning while I check play but no side pay to speak of at the rods. Thanks!

i dont remember now what all u have done. that hole is the size of a pencil . have you removed the valve cover and check all valves for being free.  ?  as for the starter that will act   as if engine is seized, you wont turn it, till starter is loosened and unjammed.   at this 1/2 turn is it really solid or what is happening?   the only thing that makes sense is if you have a cyl with some fluid and the valves closed you will not turn it over.  and you could have just added this post to your other post and keep it all in order.

• Like 1

pulled the valve cover and moved each valve (gas and diesel) individually and all worked well. I have the floor out and the clutch undone, starter is not touching the flywheel at all. Pulled the front hydraulic pump incase it had been froze and warped. Dropped the oil pan and don't see any hot spots on any of the journals or bearing caps, very little side play, but could see a little movement at each. Hope to have a neighbor wrench it back and forth tis weekend while I'm under it. 

I bought up the injector hole because I have a inspection camera that is about a 1/4" <> from the cylinders I can see underneath they look pretty clean. When I got it the starter ring was out of place and the starter did not engage it, I heater it in sections and tapped it back in place. Wonder if I need to pull the flywheel and look behaind it?  

I don't think the flywheel will come out without notching the housing which has probably been done before.  Others may know for sure.

Are you trying to turn the engine in the gas cycle with plugs out?  If not, you might try it just to see if anything changes.  Good luck

Dennis

• Like 1

Thanks! I will try both ways and see if I have any difference in turning distance, never know it might tell a story. I have had the plugs out while turning and have blown pressure air into the plug hole while the gas valves were open, really no way to clear a cylinder that won't turn fast on it's own. Parts are no expensive that you don't want to pull a head or drop a bearing if you don't have to.

13 hours ago, busted knuckles said:

pulled the valve cover and moved each valve (gas and diesel) individually and all worked well. I have the floor out and the clutch undone, starter is not touching the flywheel at all. Pulled the front hydraulic pump incase it had been froze and warped. Dropped the oil pan and don't see any hot spots on any of the journals or bearing caps, very little side play, but could see a little movement at each. Hope to have a neighbor wrench it back and forth tis weekend while I'm under it. 

I bought up the injector hole because I have a inspection camera that is about a 1/4" <> from the cylinders I can see underneath they look pretty clean. When I got it the starter ring was out of place and the starter did not engage it, I heater it in sections and tapped it back in place. Wonder if I need to pull the flywheel and look behaind it?  

now have some info to go on, if it was turning over before and then you pushed the ring gear on and it sticks now this is where i would start looking.  how was the other guy starting it if the ring gear was not installed correctly?

It had been over twenty years, he said that the battery was always low and they would tow start it with the tractor. I think it hadn't started with the starter in years. Strange enough, the ring is not damaged or even warn to speak of and neither was the bendix gear. I pulled the starter when I found that the Bendix wouldn't move and spent 2 hours on the bench freeing it up, also had the started gone over. I think that there may have been a tight spot even from the start when I was turning it over with a bar at the clutch, just kept getting worse I guess. looking up in the crank area I have oil dripping every where from what I had done at the valve cover, pouring in all the returns and lifter holes. 

just dumping oil over the head dont do a lot. the most important is to get it into the cyl's before trying to turn it. leave it sit for a few hrs the try to turn it. if it turns turn it forward and backwards till you make one revolution for the first rotation.  plus   have a feel if something feels too tight dont keep going forward. just little bits forward and back.  you could also have rusted up timing gears binding. its just hard to say now.  you need to put marks on the flywheel or front pully and see where its binding and see if you gain anything or its always at the same spot. this guessing is not accurate. plus exactly how much is it rotating?  there is lots you can tell by feel. you have 2 choices, gears or cyl's. and you are not confirming that this happened once you pushed the ring gear on??? which should make no difference.

• Like 1

I'll just have to keep eliminating possible reasons, been working by myself do to living in nowhere. Friend was turning it over while I found clutch grease fittings and such at the beginning, so not sure of the feel at the start. I know that I had turned it over no less than 25 times while working on freeing the clutch and getting the ring gear in place. When your upside down in the clutch with a two foot prybar looking for teeth and parts to turn with, it's hard to tell if a spot is harder than other spots. I have a gut feeling that when I turned it over with the starter, that the speed of incoming air may have sucked a mud dobber nest or something out of the exhaust manifold into a cylinder. 

Hey! I ran more oil mix in the cylinders today after blowing them out again and it's finally turning over as it should. Everything in the lower end looks really good including the inside of the sleeves as best I can see.

I pulled the clutch after that and it needs replaced, the one that is in it is 12" and all the ones I see for td6 are 11" not sure why. Also need springs for the pressure plate if they are available. Thanks for your ideas on the engine. 

Persistence pays off.  Good for you.  My book only shows 12'' Rockford over center clutch for T6 / TD6.  Parts manual TC-23E, s/n 501-38950.

You'll probably need manuals sooner or later if you do not have them now.  E Bay, Binderbook and probably others.  Check at top of the construction section for possible parts sources.

• Like 1

Peaceful Creek may have manuals really good reviews 

Tractor clutches are 11”, the crawler with the Rockford over center are 12”, General Gear has them or www.steeringclutch.com

• Like 1

Busted, Do you know your s/n?  Should be on a tag on firewall just ahead of left brake pedal. If the tag is not mia.  Is it within the s/n range of the book we are referring to?  Don't want to head you in the wrong direction here. 

FP Smith in Calif or General Gear (TractorParts) in Boise Id could be good sources for parts also.

Dennis

Edited by farmalldr
added info
6 minutes ago, busted knuckles said:

we're good, it's a 49 21400<>

Good, guess we are on the same page.  Here's a pic of my little guy.  48 T6 s/n 20906.

0720201054a_HDR.thumb.jpg.0317c0603ec0aa7f32c37f0ea2d43113.jpg