5088 3 Point Problem

Hey guys, recently bought a very well maintained 5088, but I've run into issues with the 3 point hitch. Originally when I bought it the 3pt seemed to work fine. (Went up and down as expected with controls.)It has the claw style lower arms so I had to order the link balls for it, when they finally came in I hooked up to the bale spike and was going to move a few round bales. Long story short, it lifted the spike fine, but once I dropped it to back into the bale it wouldn't pick it up. So...unhooked the spike took it to house to see if I could figure it out. Now, it will lift the arms when I first start up the tractor, but once it is lowered it won't lift again. I also tested it by standing on the lift arms and having the wife start it up, it will not lift me. If it matters, prior to using it I topped it off with hytran.

Messed with linkage and noticed the draft control rod is completely off where it connects at the rear, but the position control arm seemed okay. 

Where do I start to look, I'm not well versed in hydraulics at all. 

Appreciate any help.

I would get the draft linkage back together, then I would take the top link cover off and see if the piston seal is blown.  If it is you’ll see oil running out of the piston.

Do the arms stay up in the air when the tractor is crap off or they drop within a few minutes?

You need to remove the back fuel tank, then the hitch cover.  The piston/cylinder comes out with the hitch cover.  It’s not fun to do, but I’ve done worse jobs.  I’d get a service manual before I tackled it.

My tractor would lower the arms down in a few hours, and if I crap it off with an implement attached it would come down within 5 minutes.  When I looked inside the top link cover opening, there was a steady trickle of oil coming from the piston seal.

First be sure auxillaries work. If they do. Deadhead one of them and try hitch. If it lifts now problem is in priority valve.

Or I should say priority valve is not functioning. Problem is possible hitch control not signaling priority.

When testing the aux remotes, do I need to have a certain pressure or can I field test them on an implement? Problem being, don't have the tools (pressure gauges). It may be time to bite the bullet and call a mechanic. 

3 minutes ago, KTA15 said:

When testing the aux remotes, do I need to have a certain pressure or can I field test them on an implement? Problem being, don't have the tools (pressure gauges). It may be time to bite the bullet and call a mechanic. 

KTA. I think what snoshoe means is to test your remotes however you can. Use the remotes to lift your implement. If they work, then "dead head" the valve (hold lever raising the implement in the lift position until it whines) while trying to lift the three point. If the three point works while doing that the problem is not the cylinder but with the priority valve.

13 minutes ago, KTA15 said:

Ah thank you gentlemen. I'll give it a shot once the weather breaks. Just curious, if the remotes don't work what are your thoughts?

Then you have a pump or compensater problem.

Alright guys, finally got back to the 5088. Remotes seemed to work, did as advised and didn't see much difference in 3 point. Went back out today and they would raise and lower on command. Probably ran it up and down 20 or 30 times.... haven't tried it with a load on but will be tomorrow. I didn't fool with the linkage or the draft linkage at all. 

Is it possible I had something caught up in the system that broke through? 

Again appreciate any thoughts, I'm pretty worthless when it comes to hydraulics.