400 Diesel Injector Pump

I recently rebuilt a 400 Diesel and upon first fire up it was evident that the injection pump was not shutting off with the throttle linkage in the off position while running on the gas side ( blowing black fuel rich smoke ). I did go through and adjust all of the change over linkage, and governor linkage per the manual and before starting and once i realized it was burning diesel fuel i verified the the lever one the injection pump was full forward. Along with that when i switched it over it jumped right to a mid throttle with the lever in the off position! I figured i would ask this brilliant group ( should have joined sooner ) for any guidance before i order manual and dig deep. Thanks in advance!

That was a common hard starting problem. Especially on the 400-450. I think most common cause was excess slop and twisting in the linkage. I remember makeing an extension to the lever under the hood to give more travel.

OK I jumped the gun. You had pump lever bottomed. Time to visit internal governor adjustments. Don't remember them but do have pump manual. Will try to look tomorrow.

have you checked the changeover  mechanism on the engine? they get siezed up. if with linkage at pump disconnected from lever and it still dont stop, its inside the pump.

I ended up taking the cover off and started it real quick and pushed the governor mechanism forward and the black smoked stopped with with rotating it forward about and 1/8th of an inch.  I studied  the adjustment and ended up threading the left (from seat) adjustment bolt under the fill cap and it seemed to fix the shutoff problem. i put the cover back on filled with oil and fired it up on diesel and still have a throttle range issue. with about an inch of travel it goes from idle to full throttle. I ran out of time in the shop, But thinking maybe something to do with the little cam screw because it all the way loose putting no resistance on the torsion spring of the governor mechanism.  

Well you're confusing me. Left screw would be high idle stop. Right screw would be stop screw. To be adjusted to give 1/32-3/32 clearance between torque arm and housing.

You are then to remove one injection pipe and attach a spare nozzle. Run engine on gas and adjust rack until injection just stops. Then 1-1/2 more turns for positive shut off. Do not run on gas longer than 10 minutes.

If the cam you're talking about is below governor spring and above leaf spring. Then yes if screw comes loose an cam turns down. It can prevent shut off. That is bumper spring to stop surging. Turn cam up and only turn it down enough to stop surging if it does at all.

Thanks for the info snoshoe, i will follow the steps and see what happens. What manual do you have? would like to get one as well. 

I would say there is something a bit off hah! Someone must have not know what they were doing or didn't like to tighten hardware. the reason i adjusted the #6 screw out before is because when i looked at it at a glance i saw that that was the first thing hitting and not allowing the 4* gap to close enough when really the #4 bolt hits a different surface closing the plunger. It all makes sense now, Thanks again!

GetAttachmentThumbnail?id=AQMkADAwATMwMAItY2U0OS0xMQBlZC0wMAItMDAKAEYAAANFscDwIwGNTZiCXHZ0prfeBwDLiVtijIwAjkiUPG%2BTjPJYXwAAAgEMAAAAy4lbYoyMAI5IlDxvk4zyWF8ABRZ6T6YAAAABEgAQAKYqcomH3HBNv5D9pe2tV9E%3D&thumbnailType=2&isc=1&token=eyJhbGciOiJSUzI1NiIsImtpZCI6IjMwODE3OUNFNUY0QjUyRTc4QjJEQjg5NjZCQUY0RUNDMzcyN0FFRUUiLCJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJ4NXQiOiJNSUY1emw5TFV1ZUxMYmlXYTY5T3pEY25ydTQifQ.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.HGNyGMU6LZJp3GF6T3xLjMevORiKOA4QzmnB8H5usQLRJaIk0emHc18RJ-fGhClSxZu8CjtlbRkyQ054_Kkp-G7NsebLOnnRU5f9k4TW-jLuEHqLkZ2RrDkTl5eIX5ECJ2oADlq2Dvl63JsEoCGFPX7EJ3rfAfGXI8iLFzkhOZZ0LTswmvRubNhlmzhTWEXfF-cc6F1zcRawXrkjNAYSMzlmFb-z9e8Ad55iBn-JH53vlAVrxbqVwjuNlT6adjJRUnUDo8HMxfbWSP3ATEdl78Yf_hPaEjtOgjl4Tkkb2hoM_WrnafKEOkQ5bmeC_Qgenvk2UwoPw530OXRW6xMo5A&X-OWA-CANARY=hoS9qxW1P0e-PwqD2isT0ZAfK4wl-tgYzGpminruMj-7Je6a3J0nGiyp3VuJ3KMEZHf4gsMY7iE.&owa=outlook.live.com&scriptVer=20210329003.12&animation=true