3 minutes ago, Mountain Heritage said:

Ok, understandable about J&M's method.  

I have some 2"x2" 1/4" wall square tubing here I could use.  Your finger editing does fine.  Put it as close to where the cylinder attaches to the wheel arm, near the pin.  That would work.  

No worries on being busy, your work is WAY more important than helping with my problems.  I appreciate everything you and the others have had to offer me.  Big help!!

As close to the pivot point where the axles pivot at the frame. With 2x2 I would add a second piece down further to add stiffness . What size is the tubing you have the axles sleeved to ? 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would add a tube close to the pivot for the axle lifting fulcrum like this. Tack in place then raise and lower to confirm clearance before finishing welding

Just make sure the angle isn't so sharp that it binds on the cylinder clevis and bends or break the rod.

Rephasing cylinders or solid rockshaft, especially if a "middle" position between full up and down is used......otherwise it will settle to the heaviest side part way up.

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, bitty said:

As close to the pivot point where the axles pivot at the frame. With 2x2 I would add a second piece down further to add stiffness . What size is the tubing you have the axles sleeved to ? 

Its 3"x3" 1/4" wall

1 minute ago, Mountain Heritage said:

Its 3"x3" 1/4" wall

If you have enough extra 3x3 run a piece of that between the two

Just now, bitty said:

A piece of 3" schedule 80 pipe would be great also

7 minutes ago, bitty said:

Ok, have to see what I have left in the pile?  May have to be one of 3" and one of 2"??

2 minutes ago, Mountain Heritage said:

Ok, have to see what I have left in the pile?  May have to be one of 3" and one of 2"??

One of the 3" has 50% more meat in the burger than the 2" , way stronger in my opinion. I am only an in my head "engineer" with no formal training for what would actually make me qualified to engineer 

• Haha 1

3x3x1/4” tube should be sufficient there.  My Balzer stalk shredder used that for the rockshaft.  Cylinder in the middle with a wheel arm on each end about 6 feet away from the cylinder.  Terrible lot of torsional twist on that 3x3 tube as that is a rather heavy shredder.  Eventually the weld seam on the original tube failed from the years of stress, replaced it with a 3x3x3/8” tube.  

One thing to note.  When you have a situation with torsional (twisting) force like this that needs to be resisted, you need to have a closed structure component like round or square tube.  Channel or flat or I shaped structures all have minimal resistance to twist.

• Like 1

Put 2 cross members on, one where bitty drew and one more up near the frame.  Make a ladder frame out of it......it will help with twisting.

Rephasing cylinders would be the best route, but since you already have everything hyd. bought, the cross members should work

Have you purchased your wing cylinders yet?  If you haven't, could you swap the lift for the wing cylinders and then get rephasing lift cylinders?

3 minutes ago, Mr. Plow said:

Have you purchased your wing cylinders yet?  If you haven't, could you swap the lift for the wing cylinders and then get rephasing lift cylinders?

Best idea yet.............

13 minutes ago, Mr. Plow said:

Put 2 cross members on, one where bitty drew and one more up near the frame.  Make a ladder frame out of it......it will help with twisting.

Rephasing cylinders would be the best route, but since you already have everything hyd. bought, the cross members should work

Actually I was trying to draw near the frame

This is what Te Slaa did on my box scraper. Very similar configuration to your project. I would avoid the master/slave/rephasing cylinder stuff on a project like this. 

0AFBF5A2-38F3-432B-A38B-DB568AB5857F.jpeg

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, bitty said:

Actually I was trying to draw near the frame

I just caught that.....missed that detail above........but a least everyone in on the same page!!!!

• Like 1

I don't have enough 3x3 left.  Used 2x2 1/4" wall.

It lifted it!  Finally.  Thanks guys.

Cylinder wings are bought and installed.  Used 2" for them.

Working on stops for wings now.  Then will do some more work on wheels.  

20210410_115555.jpg

I would add a tube close to the pivot for the axle lifting fulcrum like this. Tack in place then raise and lower to confirm clearance before finishing welding1457450824_Screenshot_20210410-1305382.thumb.png.0b14bb8f6b3039498504c42ac46cd066.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1