One of the front Bolster bolt hole castings is broken off half way down. It is currently running on 1 front and the 2 rear bolts and doing good. I bought this tractor with no wide front as the guys had the wishbone come loose so they removed it and kept using the tractor to chop weeds and had a loader on the tractor. They then put a single front on the tractor. I purchased it from them and a fellow wants to buy it to make a arena tractor and put a loader on it and move a few 3x3 big bales from time to time. A guy in town quoted $75 to fix it but we are wondering if we do not just put a bushing between the wide front and the bolster where it is broken off. But after we square it off. I have a photo of the break and one of a bushing i had but will have a longer one cut to put in if we decide to go this way. Will it work ok?

808.jpg

808a.jpg

8 hours ago, 801486 said:

Salvage yard bolster will fix it right for not too much.  Have done two now not to bad a job

That was my thoughts as well!!

Got a 560 that must have been really abused. All 4 were broke and welded before it lived here. Has had an f10 or F25 farmhand loader mounted most of its life. Broken a couple spindles and knees from moving 2 1500 lb bales at a time but the 4 threaded holes have never given any trouble. As long as there is 3/4" of thread left in the hole I'd square it and add the bushing and possibly a longer bolt. The bolster can be replaced if the repair doesn't work for yoy

20210404_073647.jpg

20210404_073655.jpg

20210404_074208.jpg

How far up into the bolster is it threaded? If the bottom of the hole is right there you've got nothing to thread into to hold it.

The actual bushing you'd be using would also be bored to match the size of the bolt, right? Not just a chunk of pipe cut off.

Most likely the only difference between the professional repair and your fix will be the bushing being welded or brazed to the bolster.

Other food for thought, you can't replace the bolster for $75.

Put a wanted ad on pulloff.com surely some tractor puller removed one has one laying around in your area they would let go cheap.

• Like 1

i replaced bolster on 706 (car hit me and cracked it) not a hard job bolster at salvage yard around $400.00 so if there are threads  in your bolster i would try spacer first you can replace bolster if it doesn't work.

pete

• Like 1

The spacer will work IF you have enough threads left. If not--- make a bushing with threads in it to match originals, ----screw bolt all the way in and weld bushing to casting, then remove clamp bolt and install your original bolt.  ----- not the best repair but would hold ---- just do the best weld job of your life on it! ---OR have the shop in town weld it after you make the bushing.