Farmall 460 is it worth it?

I have been thinking about getting this farmall 460. It has been rolled down a hill twice and in the process bent in both fenders, bent the steering wheel, broke 2 control levers, broke the right axle housing and popped the outer rim piece of the center rim piece on both rear tires.

it’s sat for 10-12 years with everything plugged for the most part but it’s partly locked up however we don’t believe it to be too bad. It was supposedly rebuilt right before it rolled. The only actual rusty part is the seat, everything else is just surface.

So my question is, would it be worth getting and getting it functional for about $400? I don’t plan on restoring it to show room condition so I’d only replace the axle housing, steering wheel and any other need be parts. The fenders I’ll bend back straight. However I don’t know how easy/hard it is to get parts around the Ohio/Michigan border and how expensive/inexpensive they are.

160B8B7E-EE91-464E-A68F-6ACAC2CF83F6.jpeg

0D758E84-D09F-4E12-A9E2-B57BFFBBD7E1.jpeg

1E927ADB-FD36-4B3E-89D0-996E49518A4F.jpeg

4E469DFB-E506-4BB7-8397-BCBFD07A637A.jpeg

D6EE244E-0178-4CBF-8DEA-6CBAF3621B1A.jpeg

4824C53A-EBBA-4519-B9F4-2DEAED7A82FC.jpeg

94DA9904-61CC-4F4C-BEC8-ABE43B229175.jpeg

well its quite the under taking for a beginner. dont know your capability's , but i see it will be a hefty price to get that useable and not restored. tires alone is 3000.00 . what about engine is it stuck or free? i would estimate 5k to get it useable. if you want a good restoration nothing to spend 10k on that. so as i said before buy a decent 460 and this can be your parts unit. but if you won the lottery go for it.

Save the loader and the fast hitch.   Even a fresh engine overhaul could be questionable after this much time outdoors.   We are parting this 460 diesel at work that was rolled.   Not a lot of good parts left.  

20200926_091950.jpg

Have a beverage with two Tylenol and walk away.  If the feeling still persist, repeat the treatment.  That one looks too far gone to be anything close to an economical tractor when the project is complete.

only worth the parts/loader you can use.......however 80 % of the parts we purchased ,turned into the recipient 

best 2 engines had 5 g  of water in pan and went thru dealer shop,too bad they only hire monkeys.

10 hours ago, rustred said:

well its quite the under taking for a beginner. dont know your capability's , but i see it will be a hefty price to get that useable and not restored. tires alone is 3000.00 . what about engine is it stuck or free? i would estimate 5k to get it useable. if you want a good restoration nothing to spend 10k on that. so as i said before buy a decent 460 and this can be your parts unit. but if you won the lottery go for it.

I pretty well know my way around an engine. All the parts are there and good (minus axle housing and the two levers for the bucket I believe) and it looks worse than it is in my opinion.

To me the only obstacles is freeing up the engine and the axle housing on the right side (as if you were sitting on it.) 

I might just get it and if I can get it freed up/running I’ll go from there for the axle housing. But if it turns out worth not it, then I’ll probably just part it out. 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, MediumWaffle said:

I pretty well know my way around an engine. All the parts are there and good (minus axle housing and the two levers for the bucket I believe) and it looks worse than it is in my opinion.

To me the only obstacles is freeing up the engine and the axle housing on the right side (as if you were sitting on it.) 

I might just get it and if I can get it freed up/running I’ll go from there for the axle housing. But if it turns out worth not it, then I’ll probably just part it out. 

i did take a close look at things and it is something i would attempt to do just because everyone said run away. but i am very familiar with these tractor and have worked on them all my life.

58 minutes ago, rustred said:

i did take a close look at things and it is something i would attempt to do just because everyone said run away. but i am very familiar with these tractor and have worked on them all my life.

I mean if I do get it, I’ll learn something from it. Whether it be “fixing” it or parting it out for those who could use the parts. Just preferably “fixing” it.

I like the older tractors and I’d really like to have one of my own. Especially since my dad will claim it as his 24/7 for no reason other than that he’ll want it

• 3 weeks later...