Skidsteer quick attach worth it?

Matt Kirsch

I'm thinking of some quick attach system for my "new" 2350 loader.

I do have the IH quick attach bucket setup for it, but there is literally nothing built to fit it.

The Skidsteer QA adapter is going to run about $1000, and there is literally everything available to fit it. I'd like to run a bucket, snow pusher, forks, and bale spear for starters.

Looking for comments and thoughts here.

If you mean you can buy a new front plate that you replace the whole assembly, I would go for it.  Like mentioned, equipment is available many places, reasonable priced, and blanks are available to.

I have SS quick attach on my 684 with a westendorf wl-21. It was on there when I bought the tractor but the guy said he paid about 900 bucks for it. I absolutely love it. All I have right now is a bucket and a double tine bale spear, but I’m working on adapting a snowplow to a QA plate so I will have that for next winter. 

Edited by Fasttommy
Clarification

My bobcat has that setup and it's great, quick and easy to change attachments, I made a 3 time hay spear loader for it, easy to make, easy to change, now I might make it hydraulic as it be even easier to change attachments. Being more standardized has its advantages on available used implements 

Mark

If it was me, I'd get Euro/Global coupler. it's stronger than skidsteer and it's the standard now for farm loaders. 

I can buy almost any attachment in stock at local dealers. 

Skidsteer is common here too....for skidsteers and compact tractors. 

• Like 4

Just now, Matt Kirsch said:

I'm thinking along the lines too that when I eventually get a skidsteer, that attachments will fit on both.

Auctions are chock full of cheap skidsteer attachements.

i dont see cheap attachments around here - they seem to go more than they are worth in my opinion 

• Like 1

I bought the Worksaver SSQA for my 2355 loader last year.  Works fine, no complaints.  Visibility kind of sucks to the front of the loader, but not much you can do about that. 

1 hour ago, 495man said:

If it was me, I'd get Euro/Global coupler. it's stronger than skidsteer and it's the standard now for farm loaders. 

I can buy almost any attachment in stock at local dealers. 

Skidsteer is common here too....for skidsteers and compact tractors. 

The size of skid steers and CTLs these days, I would think they're putting at least as much force through the coupler as any mid sized utility tractor.

495 man is correct,  the problem with the skid steer coupler is it was designed 60 years ago for a machine that head 40 HP and weighted 3000-4000 lbs

When i was in the attachment business  they were putting that same coupler on tractors 10,000 lbs and 90 HP 

Sooner or later someone is going to get hurt, The euro style is much more safe

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, m.c.farmerboy said:

495 man is correct,  the problem with the skid steer coupler is it was designed 60 years ago for a machine that head 40 HP and weighted 3000-4000 lbs

When i was in the attachment business  they were putting that same coupler on tractors 10,000 lbs and 90 HP 

Your not wrong but the newer 12,000lb, 115hp compact track loaders that can lift 10,000# are putting more stress on those couplers than a 10k 90hp tractor will.

5 minutes ago, Cliff Neubauer said:

Your not wrong but the newer 12,000lb, 115hp compact track loaders that can lift 10,000# are putting more stress on those couplers than a 10k 90hp tractor will.

You see where I'm going with this, It's a matter  of time

2 hours ago, Black Shuck said:

I bought the Worksaver SSQA for my 2355 loader last year.  Works fine, no complaints.  Visibility kind of sucks to the front of the loader, but not much you can do about that. 

The size of skid steers and CTLs these days, I would think they're putting at least as much force through the coupler as any mid sized utility tractor.

All I know is I've lost LOCKED attachments off skid steer mount on a skid steer loader and lost them off OEM loader QA that used the same type of principle to lock. 

Never lost one off Euro. Once it's locked, it's on.  

• Like 2

I don't have any experience with skid steer QA.

I do have Euro on my Quicke. 

I would hate to be without it. 

Easy to hook and unhook. 

I have never had an unintentional dismounting.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 495man said:

All I know is I've lost LOCKED attachments off skid steer mount on a skid steer loader and lost them off OEM loader QA that used the same type of principle to lock. 

Never lost one off Euro. Once it's locked, it's on.  

Matt this line of reasoning is why I would 100% go with Euro attach Euro attached is made for tractors.  my 250 horsepower loader tractor has euro attach and it never has a problem my 40 horsepower skid steer will bump the bucket off if I shake it too hard unloading Manure or back grade gravel.

they were made for 30 horsepower gas skid steers in 1965 and for some reason they think that they're still adequate.  I see what you mean about attachment.  Here attachments at a auction are same as new just about.  Its pretty easy to weld on EA point to a Skid bucket.  We are toying with just making the skid steers Euro and having 1 set up for farm then.  We've modified a few things now for EA.  EA is nice since it self latches too.  Easy to hook (you tip mounts to 100% dump and see points...)  hold tighter and cost same.  Look up HLA too they make quality stuff.  I hear you aboit the IH...or even Great Bend now.  Never see stuff for them and hard to see/hook imho.

Good luck

• Like 3

I have a Ford 545 industrial tractor loader that I use around the farm it has a 750 loader on it and I have 6 different  attchments , I built my own Euro coupler  auto attach manual detach works fine 

• Like 1

All this being said there is a fix for skid steer couplers jumpin the buckets off  

I will do a thread on it if there is interest in fixing your skid steers, Some of you may have already figured it out

• Like 4

2 hours ago, m.c.farmerboy said:

i have bent one of my SSQA frames on my first SS - I learned very quickly that if you are raming and torqueing and prying sideways you need a healthy bracket, after going with a heavier SSQA frame I havent had a prob since. Not sure how you think they are dangerous but I havent had any issues iwth mine other than coming unattached when bouncing into something on the ground that pressed the pins up due to lack of proper adjustment on my spring load on the breakover latches on the pins. 

break out force can  be massive when you are bound up using the weight to counter swing gravity/torque like with the rear wheels in the air and rotating the bucket rhythmically to get more force, I have done it in a pinch and still havent broken or had a SSQA come loose. 

All that being said I am sure it could be redesigned to be better and safer - think about the 2 point fast hitch on a farmall, how many times have you had a latch come undone on one side of those or both ? 

IF it was a truly an overly dangerous design that is  flawed so bad it was a severe liability, the opportunist lawyers would have killed it by now from existence. 

2 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

i have bent one of my SSQA frames on my first SS - I learned very quickly that if you are raming and torqueing and prying sideways you need a healthy bracket, after going with a heavier SSQA frame I havent had a prob since. Not sure how you think they are dangerous but I havent had any issues iwth mine other than coming unattached when bouncing into something on the ground that pressed the pins up due to lack of proper adjustment on my spring load on the breakover latches on the pins. 

break out force can  be massive when you are bound up using the weight to counter swing gravity/torque like with the rear wheels in the air and rotating the bucket rhythmically to get more force, I have done it in a pinch and still havent broken or had a SSQA come loose. 

All that being said I am sure it could be redesigned to be better and safer - think about the 2 point fast hitch on a farmall, how many times have you had a latch come undone on one side of those or both ? 

IF it was a truly an overly dangerous design that is  flawed so bad it was a severe liability, the opportunist lawyers would have killed it by now from existence. 

If you are happy with that system I would stay with  it.  all I will say is in my 64 years I have learned one thing,

Youth and speed is no match for age and wisdom 

like any thing if it is matained correctly it will work to it's limits

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, m.c.farmerboy said:

All this being said there is a fix for skid steer couplers jumpin the buckets off  

I will do a thread on it if there is interest in fixing your skid steers, Some of you may have already figured it out

It sounds like we need it.