Antique Tractor Show rules !!! Really ???

2 hours ago, Cdfarabaugh said:

The "liability monster" is really ruining what's left to enjoy in life anymore.  While it's no excuse to be stupid, it really takes any enjoyment with a constant "what if" always having to be thought of.  

When I got married we decided on a "party wagon" to go to the farm from the church to get pictures.  Of course I hear a "what if" from somebody telling me not to.  Svrew it, we did it and it was probably one if the most fun and memorable things of the day for us, and everyone who partook.  

20170715_090951.jpg

Yes, but by the background, YOU knew what you were doing.

Unlike the 'collectors' who may, or may not have any background, but want to participate because "she thinks my tractor's sexy", or those who insist on calling two-cylinder John Deere's "popping johnnies", or "johnnie poppers".  (Or, those like Roger Welsh, who brought his cidiot ways back to the country, and set himself up as Dannenborg's 'expert' on Alex Chalmbers)

At least the term "Binder" when referring to IH has a historical background.

• Thanks 1

People have this foolish notion that they should ask insurance companies for permission about everything. Insurance companies exist to make money; there is no business benefit to improve your enjoyment or satisfaction. Their whole business is a risk analysis calculation. If you ask them, they will ALWAYS err on the side of mitigated risk. It doesn't hurt their bottom line to ruin the enjoyability of your event, until maybe they wreck it to the point of closing the whole thing up, at which point, they've made their profit. 

I run into this with my FD. They always want to ask the insurance company permission, as if they are our owners. You tell them, you don't ask them. If they want a rider, so be it. If you don't like it, shop insurance. Someone will give you a good rate to get your business. We're doing this now.

I despise insurance companies' conduct. Not for nothing, my family lost the farm on account of an insurance compalny. Insurance companies make scrappers and used car salesmen look honest.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Whats in the barn ? said:

There has to be a way to have tractors run and drive around... Its the best kind of show .. Too see them run.. Thats what gets people excited to come and see them run.. Alot of people have never seen old tractors run especially young people..  I think the shows that have the integrative displays are THE BEST !!!  I bet if you told the steam people that they cant run there equipment .. It wouldnt be good.. They wouldnt come...And steam shows would die definitely !!!!

Totally agree , we have a big thrashing show East of Lincoln every year called Camp Creek Thrashers .  It’s a great show and you will still see antique machinery being driven around the grounds . Hit and miss engines of all sizes running , steam engines running saw mills and thrashers , plowing demonstrations and tractor pulls. 

It will completely die off if all that is not allowed . 

Heres another point ... These shows should be a running driving show.. And let the equipment work.. Threshing / Plowing / etc..  And drive around.. Will get people more excited about coming to show.. More attendence !!!  Otherwise you miles as well look in books at them or in a museum.. I remember when I use to hear the steam whistles and see the smoke during a steam show was the most exciting thing I remember when I was a kid and at 57 I still do get that feeling at running shows..  Need to change these no run shows...  And have more fun.. And regulate this 4 wheeler / Golf cart thing somehow to make it safe.. And maybe a tractor highway or road for tractors to only travel on around grounds...

• Like 1

Love hearing all the input !!!  It might change peoples mind about running and no run shows ???

It's all fun and games until somebody gets hurt and the medical bills start piling up. 

When my tractor club hosted tractor shows we did tractor games, some were timed. We had to stop running those games and do more skill based games because of a couple mishaps. Thankfully nobody was hurt but we could see where things could get out of hand quick when people get competitive. 

2 hours ago, Whats in the barn ? said:

Heres another point ... These shows should be a running driving show.. And let the equipment work.. Threshing / Plowing / etc..  And drive around.. Will get people more excited about coming to show.. More attendence !!!  Otherwise you miles as well look in books at them or in a museum.. I remember when I use to hear the steam whistles and see the smoke during a steam show was the most exciting thing I remember when I was a kid and at 57 I still do get that feeling at running shows..  Need to change these no run shows...  And have more fun.. And regulate this 4 wheeler / Golf cart thing somehow to make it safe.. And maybe a tractor highway or road for tractors to only travel on around grounds...

The go kart 4 wheeler trend bugs me too.  In my opinion unless you're disabled/have a medical issue or over say the age of 60 you walk.  Even with 2 kids we would walk the shows with a stroller or kids in the backpack.  

• Like 1

4th of July parade in a small town. Kids pickup bags of candy. Fireworks going off everywhere, almost everyone has a beer in hand, the people have to move out of the way for the parade floats to go by, beer is given from one float, at least. No one hurt and is a bit out of hand. Parade lasts over an hour.

4th of July parade in big town. Candy throw before the parade for safety. No throwing candy from any float during parade. Must stand behind barriers. No beer, no fireworks, no fun. 1/2 the crowd in big town as the small town. Parade lasts 1/2 hour.

Where would you want to go?

• Like 1

On 4/3/2021 at 11:26 AM, KWRB said:

People have this foolish notion that they should ask insurance companies for permission about everything. Insurance companies exist to make money; there is no business benefit to improve your enjoyment or satisfaction. Their whole business is a risk analysis calculation. If you ask them, they will ALWAYS err on the side of mitigated risk. It doesn't hurt their bottom line to ruin the enjoyability of your event, until maybe they wreck it to the point of closing the whole thing up, at which point, they've made their profit. 

I run into this with my FD. They always want to ask the insurance company permission, as if they are our owners. You tell them, you don't ask them. If they want a rider, so be it. If you don't like it, shop insurance. Someone will give you a good rate to get your business. We're doing this now.

I despise insurance companies' conduct. Not for nothing, my family lost the farm on account of an insurance compalny. Insurance companies make scrappers and used car salesmen look honest.

Lot of people use "insurance reasons" for a way to get out of most things, mostly work. Looks like might be a little work involved, better ask insurance co. 

4 hours ago, Diesel Doctor said:

4th of July parade in a small town. Kids pickup bags of candy. Fireworks going off everywhere, almost everyone has a beer in hand, the people have to move out of the way for the parade floats to go by, beer is given from one float, at least. No one hurt and is a bit out of hand. Parade lasts over an hour.

4th of July parade in big town. Candy throw before the parade for safety. No throwing candy from any float during parade. Must stand behind barriers. No beer, no fireworks, no fun. 1/2 the crowd in big town as the small town. Parade lasts 1/2 hour.

Do towns like this still exist? I figured everywhere has been watered down by now. Don't think it ever was like that where I am. Reminds me of the small German community I grew up in Ohio. Any picnic or festival a kid could get a beer for his "dad". Brings back good memories. 

20 hours ago, Diesel Doctor said:

Until, through no fault of your own, you or one of yours ends up hurt. You're not going to tell your kid or grandkid, "Suck it up buttercup. Pour some Robitussin on it. Walk it off. It'll be fine." No, you are going to want the best medical care money can buy, and it's NOT going to be YOUR money paying for it.

You can say, "It won't happen to me, I won't let it," but you don't realize how little is under your control at events like this. All it takes is a split second of distraction for little "Jessica" to dash out into the street because she wants to pet the pretty pony. Even the most disciplined children are still children.

All it takes is one hit close to home, and your attitude will turn 180 so fast you won't even remember what it was before.

• Like 1

I haven’t weighed in yet, i got fed up with the rules and...well ill say it.. A-holes at a couple local tractor clubs. The rules for antiques seem to be the same for pro stock which Doesn’t make much sense.. either its some hardazz busting some 13 year old kids balls about not having wheelie bars on his cub cadet or its some dink with a serial number book not letting you pull with your January 1961 tractor because the cut off is 1960... even though it was a 1958 design... Eff them. Some of it is insurance, I understand that but a lot of it is antiquated ass-hats who don't want new people joining their little clubs.

please understand these are some personal experiences I have had locally. On the larger scale there are some terrific groups out there who work really hard to get events pulled together and recruit people into this hobby, and my hat goes off to them. 
unfortunately there are a few who are working hard to discourage new and young people... that is a shame. 

we started having a tractor pull as a fire department fundraiser, we checked with the insurance company and they asked if we had a list of rules.. we said we did and they didn't ask anymore. Its been very successful and the key seems ti be to have a non tractor related organization host it, their insurance is not geared towards these events and doesn’t seem to have the same scrutiny as others. 

• Like 1

I also enjoy shows that have field demonstrations going on.  They are more enjoyable than just lines of tractors.  But to me having tractors just aimlessly driving around is NOT a draw.  Yes seeing them used for the purpose they were designed is great.  But they weren't designed to be a scooter.  I hate having to dodge kids driving around Dad's tractor or the person who is to lazy to walk around and look at stuff so they drive their tractor.

• Like 2

we had a guy, or perhaps I should say the Tri State Antique Tractor Club HAS a guy, because I am no longer a member, who I dubbed "Wheelie Bar Bob, because when grandpa dug out his Farmall H from the shed after 15 years and got it running on most of its cylinders so they could take it to the tractor pull together, Bob comes along and tells them to pack it and leave because they aren't set up like one of Jerrys pullers. he seems to take great pride, started in on me because my wheelie bars weren't designed the way the drawing was in the "rule book" but when pressed he wasn't able to tell me why they were wrong or that they were in some violation ( I am happy to argue with him). he runs around trying to say everyones hitch is set too high, or that you can't use a fast hitch drawbar ( nowhere do the rules state this) generally when he shows up the entire group groans with disgust he hates everyone and EVERYONE hates him. he is one of the ones I mentioned before who likes to ruin shows and other events for anyone who is just getting interested. the fact of the matter is that if the afore mentioned kid with a bone stock poor running H ever did hook to a sled and managed to stay running long enough, its unweighted and has about a 13" hitch height, its either going to stall or spin out with 3 blocks on, but that kid is going to feel like about a million bucks and be itching for more....he got more that day because I insisted he use my tractor, which bob threw a fit about too but again, couldn't find anything in the rule book to say some random kid couldn't use someone else tractor, but I digress..

anyway one day Bob backs up to the sled ( green tractor, go figure) I popped a tape measure off my belt and set it behind his hitch..20"..damn, he snarled at me to hitch the chain, however bobs wheelie bars were pinned up in transport mode, I said "sorry bob, I cannot let you pull without your wheelie bars down, your either going to have to get down here and fix that or you will be disqualified"..he told me to F-off, but the assembled crowd gave me a standing ovation. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3