Antique Tractor Show rules !!! Really ???

I talked to a future show promotor.. And some of the rules are.. Not move tractor only in and out of show.. Or just for demonstrations / parade / or photo shoot / Also nobody under 16 driving them.. Insurance thing I guess.. And no riders on tractor... But he complained that attendance at the shows are weak.. My thoughts are people dont want to see trailer queens..Especially young people are our future and we need to keep these shows going..  Young people like to see things run.. And some of use old ones too.. Some of us dont have any place to run our tractors anywhere but shows.. This old way of thinking is going to kill more shows.. When the flyer comes out for this show or display.. I hope people voice there opinion about the rules ... And help these shows change there ways...    Thoughts ???

• Like 9

A similar set of rules sort of developed at husker harvest stays in Nebraska. 

It’s a huge show, lots of area to cover, it’s really quite Difficult to cover it all in one day so 4 wheelers and side by sides came out of the wood work . The intersections became a traffic nightmare. So no more of that now. 

Sometimes rules are a good thing . 

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

Insurance, insurance, insurance.

• Sad 3

26 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

rules make everything more difficult - one of my pastors at church says this, rules are just suggestions to him ?

Whats his thoughts on the ten commandments then?  Lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, lorenzo said:

A similar set of rules sort of developed at husker harvest stays in Nebraska. 

It’s a huge show, lots of area to cover, it’s really quite Difficult to cover it all in one day so 4 wheelers and side by sides came out of the wood work . The intersections became a traffic nightmare. So no more of that now. 

Sometimes rules are a good thing . 

I exhibited at HHD for many years. 

The streets are packed with people walking. The streets are extremely crowned for water drainage so if you aren't walking on the middle third, you were on a steep side hill which was really hard on knees. 

The 4 wheelers and SxS's were very dangerous. Mainly from riders being in too big a hurry. The golf carts a little less so, but necessary for those with mobility issues. 

I was there for three days so we would just wait for the show to close at 5:00 and drive around in a pickup and see what we wanted to see. Missed the traffic jam leaving also that way. 

Added bonus was picking up the occasional can of education lubrication from other exhibitors hanging around waiting for the highways to clear. ??

• Like 2

If even the majority of people running these tractors were sane responsible operators, there would be no need for the rules.

At the shows I've been to, it's a free-for-all. You have to constantly be on the lookout or you'll get run over by something, be that a tractor, golf cart, 4-wheeler, Kubota,  or some riding mower based hoopty. "Beep beep, get outta my way! I'm the most important person here!"

I always leave surprised that the place isn't littered with bodies.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, tractorholic said:

Whats his thoughts on the ten commandments then?  Lol

exactly.........hes a hoot, fun to poke at him and listen

I agree the ....old gen loves rules.  Be safe...wrap some bubble wrap.  1 rule...under 3mph or your out.  Can putt put around and enjoy your tractor.  Most tractor shows aint like the big farm shows so not crowded.  Tulare dont allow side x sides either.  Tooooo many people to have that mix. 

I bet the insurance guy is the root cause.  They are the fun police.  My BIL is one of them do nothing for society insurance salemen.  When his kids are here it ponds, 4 wheelers, trampolines, wake boarding behind the 4 wheelers in ponds etc.  FUN.  He thinks bubnle wrap is a type of fabric kids should wear.

This kind of reminds me of an old dairyman who had a very nice 300 Cow Dairy and decided to retire he told me he didn't want to rent the farm to anybody else cuz he didn't want anybody messing up what he had worked for but he'd rather see the barn empty then go downhill and then in the next breath he told me how sad it was that kids didn't want to Dairy anymore and here I am thinking you have the opportunity to help someone Dairy and you basically are flipping them the middle finger.  The whining no one want to work.  Shake my head...fun police ruining it for younger kids.

• Like 2

The thing is . I think shows that let you run your tractor slow.. And drive it around and use it .. At the show like plowing / Etc...  Makes a better show.. I can agree with the 4 wheelers and golf cart thing gets out of control.. They should only be used for handicap people to see the show.. Also for old people who have trouble walking.. My opinion need more young people to get interested to keep these shows going.. But if they all sit silent and not run miles as well be a no run museum..  And those museums are dyeing or closing everyday.. People love to see things run.. Thats what a tractor is all about... It can be run without all these rules if done right.. Most of these shows are trailer queens crap...  I gave up on being part of a display and help organize it for a major red tractor show in the future because of all the dont move dont run display...

• Like 3

I was 2013 Red Power Up Co-chair in Lima, Ohio. I handled the insurance part of the show.

This is what I was told to do by the International Harvester Collectors Club (IHCC) insurance committee. Most if not all show sites have requirements that Red Power had to follow. I don't remember what they were.  

To show at any International Harvesters Collectors event you must be a member of the International Harvester Collector national group. Main reason is there is insurance coverage on your display at a show being provided by the National organization.   Being a member of a chapter is optional and I strongly encourage everyone to be a member of a chapter or 2. Main reason to belong to a chapter is they have their own events in their state and are the ones who put on shows like RPRU. 

All drivers must be 16 years or older and a licensed driver I believe to drive at a show. Everyone driving needs to be a member of the Harvester Collectors group. As stated earlier the only time you can drive your display at a RPRU is to load, unload, parades and show book picture. The only one on the tractor while in motion is the driver unless there is a seat provided for the rider. The 2013 show had over 750 displays and 500-600 personal transportation devices not to mention the number of pedestrians on foot. There is not enough room to drive your tractor around at the show and be safe. I had several near misses during the 2013 show because people weren't watching the traffic. Lets add a moving tractor with an under 16 year old driver and see what happens. The shows are too big to be driving a tractor around. No one is driving tractor(s) at the shows I go to.....unless there is an area to plow, thresh wheat, saw mill, or run a dyno. The RPRU 2013 Lima show had track dyno and wheat treshing. 

For those who think we should be able to drive your tractor at a show or think changes need made....You need to get involved and help change insurance-site requirements. Nothing going to change sitting on the sidelines. April 10 Chapter 6 has a membership meeting at the Der Dutchman restaurant in Plain City, Ohio. They will be electing 3 Directors during the meeting. Here is your chance to get involved and make changes. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Merk said:

Lets add a moving tractor with an under 16 year old driver and see what happens.

Many years ago, I had kind of planned a trip to go to a tractor show because they had advertised that a Lombard steam crawler would be there.

download.jpg.7c2beecb2bc22f5bfd041d6a53630676.jpg

Turns out that it wasn't but with the number of kids 'driving' tractors around the grounds, I really didn't feel all that comfortable being on foot.

On the other hand, as large of area as the HCOP covered, I never once felt uncomfortable being in the midst of all the UTVs, with my Gator. I was somewhat surprised that you could run right alongside the machines in the field as you watched them work.

Kind of the same applies at construction equipment shows, but either, or, it is up to YOU to make sure where YOU are at, and watch where they are, and might be, so YOU don't get squished.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sandhiller said:

I exhibited at HHD for many years. 

The streets are packed with people walking. The streets are extremely crowned for water drainage so if you aren't walking on the middle third, you were on a steep side hill which was really hard on knees. 

The 4 wheelers and SxS's were very dangerous. Mainly from riders being in too big a hurry. The golf carts a little less so, but necessary for those with mobility issues. 

I was there for three days so we would just wait for the show to close at 5:00 and drive around in a pickup and see what we wanted to see. Missed the traffic jam leaving also that way. 

Added bonus was picking up the occasional can of education lubrication from other exhibitors hanging around waiting for the highways to clear. ??

I'm played out with these lazy mfers and their side by sides at auctions that they are just there to buy a hotdog! Last week big sale 30-40 of them.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

It is a hard thing to police. It is not near as crowded as "The Farm Progress Show" usually. I went to that several times, the last time I went I saw a guy get clipped by a disk while they were doing the field demonstrations. The stupid people won't listen and stay where they are told to. I mean after all I can't see it work if I am not under it!!!!!!!!! How dumb are people? That is why we have all this insurance. I also do not go to "The Farm Progress Show" anymore. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, jingles1928 said:

Insurance, insurance, insurance.

Which boils down to:

Liability, Liability, Liability

• Like 2

Not trying to make a big thing about this.. Just would like to see alot of shows pick a spot to have more integrative displays at there shows.. To get more people to get excited about going to the shows... And help the attendence to keep the shows going and not die !!!!!!  There should be a way to do that.. And still see tractors run around...and get exercise..

21 hours ago, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

the last time I went I saw a guy get clipped by a disk while they were doing the field demonstrations.

That is why they need to keep spectators out of the way

A roped/fenced off area for the demonstration

Some have no common sense   

• Like 1

There has to be a way to have tractors run and drive around... Its the best kind of show .. Too see them run.. Thats what gets people excited to come and see them run.. Alot of people have never seen old tractors run especially young people..  I think the shows that have the integrative displays are THE BEST !!!  I bet if you told the steam people that they cant run there equipment .. It wouldnt be good.. They wouldnt come...And steam shows would die definitely !!!!

• Like 3

What bugs me at consignment auctions around here is people starting the tractors or equipment standing on the ground.  with people in front of it and allaround. Most of the equipment is very old and no neutral start or clutch depressed safety.  Somebody is going to get killed and others hurt badly. 

My rule would be . Butt in the seat or the engine doesnt get started. 

• Like 2

If someone is allowed to drive around on his restored Cub because he is not able to walk very well, the next thing you have is a kid that wants to drive dad's 4586 around even with the crowd of people. You have to draw the line somewhere and step on some toes doing it. Like many have said, it goes back to the insurance. Someone somewhere in the past, not using good common sense, and injury and law suit. My hats go off to anyone and everyone putting on these shows. Most are volunteers with a strong love of the machines and the history of them. Thank you.

I have not been to a bigger show in a few years because of the large number of teenagers and younger driving around on S x S, ATV, golf cart like it was a race track. If an accident was to happen there, I don't want it to be me, or be a witness to that.

• Like 3

The "liability monster" is really ruining what's left to enjoy in life anymore.  While it's no excuse to be stupid, it really takes any enjoyment with a constant "what if" always having to be thought of.  

When I got married we decided on a "party wagon" to go to the farm from the church to get pictures.  Of course I hear a "what if" from somebody telling me not to.  Svrew it, we did it and it was probably one if the most fun and memorable things of the day for us, and everyone who partook.  

20170715_090951.jpg

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Mr. Brookville said:

What bugs me at consignment auctions around here is people starting the tractors or equipment standing on the ground.  with people in front of it and allaround. Most of the equipment is very old and no neutral start or clutch depressed safety.  Somebody is going to get killed and others hurt badly. 

My rule would be . Butt in the seat or the engine doesnt get started. 

That is an accident waiting to happen you will read about it some day

1 hour ago, Whats in the barn ? said:

Not trying to make a big thing about this.. Just would like to see alot of shows pick a spot to have more integrative displays at there shows.. To get more people to get excited about going to the shows... And help the attendence to keep the shows going and not die !!!!!!  There should be a way to do that.. And still see tractors run around...and get exercise..

No shortage of people at Husker Harvest Days , in fact venders and spectators both threatened to not attend unless something was done about it . 

• Like 1

Guess I will stick to the integrative shows like Farm Progress Show then... That has moving and running tractors !!!!!!!!!!!  NOT TRAILER QUEEN SHOWS !!!!!