1086 at PA auction

For you western PA guys, I just happen to see this in the local paper.

1086 Red Power, Cab, 2900 hours, stored indoors.

Look up Todd Beichner auctioneer auction, this saturday in Tionesta, PA

I have no connection, just sounded like a good tractor for someone.

On a side note, what is the Red Power designation?

48 minutes ago, Duntongw said:

For you western PA guys, I just happen to see this in the local paper.

I have no connection, just sounded like a good tractor for someone.

On a side note, what is the Red Power designation?

I seen a pic of it and it looks pretty tough looking for 2900 some hours

22 minutes ago, ksfarmdude said:

Just checked it out at the auctioneers website.  I think it is missing a door.  Poor pics and no cab pics?  Hard to believe those hours are correct

27 minutes ago, ksfarmdude said:

I just looked it up. It sure looks like a hard 2900 hours if that's somehow true. It's no cream puff. Red rims, no doors. May be a solid tractor but it's no mint condition time capsule.

• Like 1

4 hours from me and not to much there.  It would have to be both nice and cheap for me to even consider.  I guess I ask for a lot.?

49 minutes ago, Super A_sepa said:

I just looked it up. It sure looks like a hard 2900 hours if that's somehow true. It's no cream puff. Red rims, no doors. May be a solid tractor but it's no mint condition time capsule.

X2.  That’s a tractor I would have to see in person before I would pay anymore than going rate for it.   It doesn’t look like it’s totally worn out but 2900 hours is hard to believe.  It would look way better with the doors on it.  

"Farmall Fanatic" on youtube previewed that auction and posted a video. The tractors were locked up in the barn and they would not let anyone look at them before the auction according to what he was told.

The tractor will bring entirely too much because it's in the Northeast and it isn't mine. I'm not wasting my time, and I recommend that nobody here waste their time either.

• Like 1

Wow, obviously I must look at things in a completely different perspective than the rest of the people in the tractor world.

First off, it was not brought up to be considered a cream puff, or a mint time capsule, It's a 40 plus year old "FARM TRACTOR", use it. Is it abused, I don't believe so from what I can see, is it dusty, sure. Give some body a couple hundred dollars to detail it if you want it shiny.

Will it bring a good price, probably, there are not that many around here, and buying one several states away, when all is said and done is not a magic answer either.

I suppose if it was setting in someone's building that had all kind of signs hanging on the wall, with a new pint job, it would be oohed and awed, and go for twice its value, even though it probably hasn't been started or moved in 10 plus years. Personally I would much rather have one that has not been messed with, and has been sparingly used. Why do you look for low mileage cars when you buy one.

Are those the real hours, I know the auctioneer, and I would say as far as he knows, yes. He's been doing it for about 40+ years. Do you need it looked at before bidding, that's your call to live with.

I am assuming that anyone that has an interest in it is keeping quiet, and the nay sayers are just piping up.

I think someone is going to get a nice tractor that will outlive them, and next time I will leave it for the locals.

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Duntongw said:

Wow, obviously I must look at things in a completely different perspective than the rest of the people in the tractor world.

First off, it was not brought up to be considered a cream puff, or a mint time capsule, It's a 40 plus year old "FARM TRACTOR", use it. Is it abused, I don't believe so from what I can see, is it dusty, sure. Give some body a couple hundred dollars to detail it if you want it shiny.

Will it bring a good price, probably, there are not that many around here, and buying one several states away, when all is said and done is not a magic answer either.

I suppose if it was setting in someone's building that had all kind of signs hanging on the wall, with a new pint job, it would be oohed and awed, and go for twice its value, even though it probably hasn't been started or moved in 10 plus years. Personally I would much rather have one that has not been messed with, and has been sparingly used. Why do you look for low mileage cars when you buy one.

Are those the real hours, I know the auctioneer, and I would say as far as he knows, yes. He's been doing it for about 40+ years. Do you need it looked at before bidding, that's your call to live with.

I am assuming that anyone that has an interest in it is keeping quiet, and the nay sayers are just piping up.

I think someone is going to get a nice tractor that will outlive them, and next time I will leave it for the locals.

Oh I am sure the tach is right, being in PA it probably quit working in '86.....................Typical PA tractor with the doors off, probably selling those separate on a pallet.

3-4hr from me.  I think it looks alright. Given that the wheels/rims, and literally just about every other piece of machinery there appears to have been painted with a brush/roller/Wagner power painter (not saying it’s wrong....I know old timers that think painted over rusted, provides better protection and looks better than just rust, it’s just not my personal style) but anyway, it looks to me like the entire 1086 was maybe spiffed up a bit, years ago, in the same manner.  That will hurt its value. It’s gonna go 11-12k minimum, I’ll bet. 13-15 if the doors pop up, and the paint isn’t as bad as I’m thinking. 

1 hour ago, Duntongw said:

2900 hours is awfully low for a tractor that old and to me would add some substantial value vs a 8000 10000 12000 hour tractor etc.  Im not trying to pick it apart but one of two things is going here.  Possibility 1.  The tractor lived a really rough life which negates the low hours or the hours aren't right.  Aren't the rear rims the wrong color, doors off, back end looks all greasy etc?   Possibility 2.  The auctioneer didn't help the seller with selling this item. If it is low hours it should be cleaned up as much as possible to get top dollar and should have several good pics of it in a well lit area.  

Sorry you are upset about this. There are much better examples even in Pennsylvania.  The 86 series seem to sell cheaper then the 66 or 88.  Until you buy doors or other cab parts you might as well buy a better one. From what I can see it belongs on a mixer at an Amish dairy.

Will be neat to see what it brings..............the mindset in this state when it comes to tractors makes me scratch my head.  Consignment sale here acouple weeks ago just added to my thoughts which begin with "What the H*LL?!"

2 hours ago, Duntongw said:

I certainly understand that it might be a solid tractor and that most all of the nitpicking is cosmetic and can be fixed, it just wasn't what I had pictured in my mind when I read "2900 hours 1086". You never called it anything special but I think a few of us had something special in mind when we read the description.

To answer your question about the Red Power designation, it was basically a couple cosmetic changes, I don't believe anything was too major. Red side panels with the decal, red interior, red seat, extra aux rear lights mounted to the fenders. There have been threads on it before but that is what I remember. IMG_20150701_172832930.thumb.jpg.06ac00682ace56931a8679df6ca44a4a.jpg

Here is a picture of our Red Power 1979 1086. 45 or 4700 some hours on it. Photo is from a couple phones ago hopefully it is decent. 

There's a lot of ragged out 86s out there but a nice one is still a decent place to spend a day compared to an older IH I think.

• Like 2

I honestly havent bothered going to an auction this spring.  Time is tight and with all the covidcash flying around I'm sure stuff is going for stupid money.  

On 4/1/2021 at 8:15 PM, Duntongw said:

My guess is $12,500 in Tionesta with a decent day of weather today.

10 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

the mindset in this state when it comes to tractors makes me scratch my head.

Haven’t sat through an auction in ages because of what TP said.

I guess I'm the fool.  It cleaned up pretty nice.  Auctioneer sure didn't invest in high quality photos to help advertise.  

9 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

Coolant filter got the dupont over-haul I see .............:rolleyes:  Or are we going with factory installed???????:rolleyes:

Factory.  The rims alternator and more.  Watched a good bit of the video.  Sounds like it came from a consignment sale years ago to where it was just sold from.  Just going to guess the guy bought it with the paint the way it is.

Brought top dollar in my opinion.  Until it gets rubber and a few front weights someone will have over 20 in it.

56 minutes ago, hobbyfarm said:

Factory.  The rims alternator and more.  Watched a good bit of the video.  Sounds like it came from a consignment sale years ago to where it was just sold from.  Just going to guess the guy bought it with the paint the way it is.

Brought top dollar in my opinion.  Until it gets rubber and a few front weights someone will have over 20 in it.

Looks like it came from a Jockey that was selling stuff like that in the 90's out of southern PA...............Knew of an 86 that came from there locally, and for all the hype and nonsense over how little used it was, it sure didn't look like it.