Jump to content

Oil Seal for Steering Shaft


Recommended Posts

I'm hoping this is another one of those situations where the answer is obvious but I just can't see it. 

The oil seal for the the upper cover (Jacket tube) of the steering assembly seems to big. It is also is a different style then the dry, cracked ring I extracted. I ordered the part from CIH. I did have some concern because the part number 366142R91 was superceded by part number 368057R91. (Line 8 in the pic below) The CIH package did have the correct number. 

As always thanks for the help!

20210401_185245.jpg

20210401_185404.jpg

20210401_185518.jpg

20210401_185607.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looks like its been apart for awhile ,  I'd replace that needle bearing too while your at it

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, ksfarmdude said:

Looks like its been apart for awhile ,  I'd replace that needle bearing too while your at it

Not a "maybe" for me.  That bearing is junk.  Rollers are laying sideways.

Get a bearing then worry about the seal.  

If the seal doesn't fit, it doesn't fit.  If the part number doesn't supercede to the number on the package, you have the wrong seal.  Easy peezy. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, snoshoe said:

Can't trust my eyesight anymore but I think I see part of old seal still in bore.

 

5 hours ago, Dan Robinson said:

Yes, it needs a bearing, and there's still part of the old seal in there. 

Yeah, there is.  I see it now too. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, snoshoe said:

Can't trust my eyesight anymore but I think I see part of old seal still in bore.

 

13 hours ago, J-Mech said:

Not a "maybe" for me.  That bearing is junk.  Rollers are laying sideways.

Get a bearing then worry about the seal.  

If the seal doesn't fit, it doesn't fit.  If the part number doesn't supercede to the number on the package, you have the wrong seal.  Easy peezy. 

 

13 hours ago, Dan Robinson said:

Yes, it needs a bearing, and there's still part of the old seal in there. 

Thank you all for the replies. 

A couple of questions so I get it right. 

When you say part of the old seal is still in place are you referring to what looks  to me be a metal collar or bushing that begins at the top of the tube then extends over the bearing that says Made in the USA? (The blue green colored material you see is bits of the new seal. )

If so, do I just carefully pry that metal ring out?   

How difficult should it be to seat that new seal in place? 

Should it drop in place or does it need to be worked into place and what's a good technique. 

Lastly, I've been faily careful not to roughly run that new seal down the shaft but I've watched a few videos and I saw a guy wrap plastic around the column. I didn't know the desks they were that delicate. Do i need a new one or would damage me noticeable. 

Lot's of questions for what is probably a simple problem. The assistance is appreciated.

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Paul 300 U said:

 

 

Thank you all for the replies. 

A couple of questions so I get it right. 

When you say part of the old seal is still in place are you referring to what looks  to me be a metal collar or bushing that begins at the top of the tube then extends over the bearing that says Made in the USA? (The blue green colored material you see is bits of the new seal. )

If so, do I just carefully pry that metal ring out?   

How difficult should it be to seat that new seal in place? 

Should it drop in place or does it need to be worked into place and what's a good technique. 

Lastly, I've been faily careful not to roughly run that new seal down the shaft but I've watched a few videos and I saw a guy wrap plastic around the column. I didn't know the desks they were that delicate. Do i need a new one or would damage me noticeable. 

Lot's of questions for what is probably a simple problem. The assistance is appreciated.

 

 

First, I just double checked in parts, you have the correct seal. You also need to get the bearing through another supplier.  Subs to p/n 221488A1 which shows none in the depots but is still orderable. Can't read the bearing number clearly but it can be used to get a new bearing that will work.

There appears to be part of the old seal still in there.

Good idea to protect the seal from the splines. Anything that will pass through the bearing after wrapping the splines without shredding apart is good.

er wrapping
 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Maynard said:

First, I just double checked in parts, you have the correct seal. You also need to get the bearing through another supplier.  Subs to p/n 221488A1 which shows none in the depots but is still orderable. Can't read the bearing number clearly but it can be used to get a new bearing that will work.

There appears to be part of the old seal still in there.

Good idea to protect the seal from the splines. Anything that will pass through the bearing after wrapping the splines without shredding apart is good.

er wrapping
 

Thanks for the advice in how to go about getting the parts and protecting the seal. 

You all probably made it crystal clear but it's just not sinking into my thick head. Can you tell me what you are all looking at when you say "part of the old seal is still in there" and how do I get it out. 

Thanks Paul 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Paul 300 U said:

When you say part of the old seal is still in place are you referring to what looks  to me be a metal collar or bushing that begins at the top of the tube then extends over the bearing that says Made in the USA

Yes

 

22 hours ago, Paul 300 U said:

If so, do I just carefully pry that metal ring out

Only need to be careful of damaging tube. Go ahead pry it out.

 

22 hours ago, Paul 300 U said:

How difficult should it be to seat that new seal in

Should be a press fit. Flat piece of steel and tapping with hammer should do it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What sits inside of that land I believe, is a felt seal that gets soaked in oil and acts as a dust and dirt seal. I had a piece of felt here and simply trimmed it to fit, soaked it in oil and installed it. It is sold as part number 366142R91 if you want to buy one.

Steering wheel removed.jpg

Gage panel, Original oil pressure gage.jpg

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/2/2021 at 7:27 PM, Maynard said:

Subs to p/n 221488A1 which shows none in the depots but is still orderable

Thanks Maynard. I looked for awhile today and no luck finding the bearing. I'll keep looking, maybe I can buy it used. I appreciate you beginning the search. 

 

On 4/3/2021 at 10:31 AM, snoshoe said:

Yes

 

Only need to be careful of damaging tube. Go ahead pry it out.

 

Should be a press fit. Flat piece of steel and tapping with hammer should do it.

Thanks again Snoshoe. I did as you suggested and was able to remove the ring. 

Funny/sad thing is that I meticulously removed the cracked hard rubber that I assumed was the seal. Turns out it was just a part of the seal. Having never seen one before, I assumed it was all rubber or plastic just like the replacement.

On 4/3/2021 at 1:56 PM, Dan Robinson said:

Stick a screwdriver in there and pry up on what's left of the retainer. Shouldn't come out very hard. 

Screenshot_20210403-125520_Samsung Internet.jpg

Thanks Dan. Started with a metal pic to open a small gap then worked it out with a screwdriver. 

 

On 4/3/2021 at 11:33 AM, J-Mech said:

To change the bearing you are going to need a long punch, or a slide hammer.  

Jmech. Thanks! I didn't realize the bearing was bad. The manual is pretty cautious throughout the process about inspecting and replacing parts. However when it comes to this bearing It basically says it's typically not a problem and to just grease it and go. Can't find a new one maybe I track down a used one. 

 

5 hours ago, Tonys 300 Utility said:

What sits inside of that land I believe, is a felt seal that gets soaked in oil and acts as a dust and dirt seal. I had a piece of felt here and simply trimmed it to fit, soaked it in oil and installed it. It is sold as part number 366142R91 if you want to buy one.

Steering wheel removed.jpg

Gage panel, Original oil pressure gage.jpg

Tony. Thanks for the advice. I will look into the parts. Good looking dash on your 300 by the way, I'm a bit jealous!

20210403_172614.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

(350 U one way steering issues continued...)

I got back home after being away for a week and was happy to see that my steering bearing for the upper tube had arrived. 

Unfortunately I've hit another snag. It looks too small. There is a gap of about 1/16 inch around the circumference between the outside edge of the bearing and the inside edge of the steering tube.  The bearing does seem to fit comfortably over the steering shaft.

I've attached some pictures that hopefully help show the problem. I also included a picture looking up from the bottom of the tube up towards the bearing. I appreciate thoughts on what I'm looking at and if this is the correct part and how to proceed. 

Thanks as always for the help. Paul 

20210417_165013.jpg

20210417_165031.jpg

20210417_170003.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...