656 gas won’t start

brewcrew

I’ve got a 656 gas hydro that I can’t seem to get started this spring. It was running good when I parked it last fall, though it is known to be temperamental, especially when not used frequently. I pulled a couple spark plugs and they aren’t exactly shiny, but clean enough to function, and I checked that I did have spark. I pulled the air intake and tried some ether directly into the carb but it doesn’t want to fire at all. Any thoughts as to where to check next? Thanks.

9 minutes ago, brewcrew said:

I’ve got a 656 gas hydro that I can’t seem to get started this spring. It was running good when I parked it last fall, though it is known to be temperamental, especially when not used frequently. I pulled a couple spark plugs and they aren’t exactly shiny, but clean enough to function, and I checked that I did have spark. I pulled the air intake and tried some ether directly into the carb but it doesn’t want to fire at all. Any thoughts as to where to check next? Thanks.

Make sure the fuel line is flowing into the carb and is not sour  did it wanna fire at all with the ether? I usually tap on the carb some with pliers sometimes the floats will stick

could be stuck valve,dry cyls , but likely all the electrics need polished up,unless you had spark that made you wince.

if it will not blue flame jump .060 on air gap ,needs cleaned   BTDT  100x  out of storage,run yesterday is different.

1 minute ago, mmi said:

could be stuck valve,dry cyls , but likely all the electrics need polished up,unless you had spark that made you wince.

if it will not blue flame jump .060 on air gap ,needs cleaned   BTDT  100x  out of storage,run yesterday is different.

I held the plug against the loader frame and saw a solid spark, although I thought it probably should have sparked more frequently.

if you have spark, the next step is gas. you could remove the line from carb, make sure it has a good full stream of gas flowing, if so hook it back up and remove the carb bottom plug and check that the gas is flowing into the bowl. should have a slow flow here catch gas in a can , should get a cup full in half a minute or so.. the other thing is when you had the plugs out you could have squirted some gas into each cyl. and that will make it start confirming it is gas related.

2 minutes ago, ksfarmdude said:

Make sure the fuel in flowing into the carb and is not sour  did it wanna fire at all with the ether?

It has not acted like it even wanted to fire yet

While turning it over, with a helper, can you shoot some fuel such as from a spray bottle into the carb or intake? Same idea as ether, but slightly safer.  Like they said, you think it has Spark, so if you Give it fuel, it will either fire, or not fire. If it doesn’t, then you didn’t have much spark 

• Like 1

If it didn't even try to fire with ether, my thoughts are still on it being a spark issue. If it fired on ether but won't run otherwise, I'd agree on a gas issue. The ether should have done something if you have proper spark and compression. 

• Like 1

I wish I could upload a video from my phone to this site so I could show how much spark I’m getting. I have what looks like strong spark, but not as frequent as I would expect. I even tried a brief shot of ether straight into the cylinder and couldn’t get a pop. So now I’m gonna try cleaning the spark plugs. Any other place I should be checking that could cause weak spark?

10 minutes ago, yellowrosefarm said:

Is this still a points ignition? If it is, put your test light probe on the - neg side of the coil and crank the engine. There should be a nice even set of flashes. If there isn’t, the points need cleaning and regapping

2 hours ago, brewcrew said:

I wish I could upload a video from my phone to this site so I could show how much spark I’m getting. I have what looks like strong spark, but not as frequent as I would expect. I even tried a brief shot of ether straight into the cylinder and couldn’t get a pop. So now I’m gonna try cleaning the spark plugs. Any other place I should be checking that could cause weak spark?

You can upload to YouTube and then link video.

the spark must be blue and u will hear it snap. if its orange then no good , clean and check point gap. also with the points closed and key on when opening the points with a small screwdriver you should have a strong spark at the contacts. also remove the carb intake hose and use a spray bottle and spray gas right into the carb while cranking. if that dont start it then yes you have a spark problem.

We had a 656 that got so it would never start when cold. Once warmed up it would start. I think we replaced every ignition component at least once. Finally got so we carried a jumper wire and went from pos on battery  to coil and it would fire right up and start and run for the rest of the day. Finally went with electronic ignition and no problem.

• Like 1