• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can’t hear my grandkids!! I am sure a lot of that stems from running a D21 Allis with no muffler! Sounded good and as a teenager never thought about the future. I would put the muffler on!

I wouldn't have any tractor with a straight pipe for anything more than a short ride down the track . Too much hearing loss now. Been wearing ear plugs for 30 years, wish I had the first 10 years 

With open station, sound control would play into it for me.  However, I like the look of a big ol fat straight pipe too😋   My vote is straight pipe  

Posted Images

Straight pipe for show muffler for work.  My dad can barely hear in one ear.    Im Following right in his footsteps although I have been trying to wear hearing protection when grinding and running the chainsaw.  I remember my great grandfather could hardly hear at all.  He was in his late 80s in 85 or 86.  Hearing protection probably wasn’t a thing in his day.  

• Like 1

I had a straight pipe on my 1456 when I first got it 16 years ago. Nice of your not working it. First time I hooked on chisel plow I ran it for 1 hour and went back to barn and went to town and got a muffler. Been on ever since. My vote is muffler. If you need ear plugs with straight pipe you need a muffler 

• Like 3

Personally I’m a fan of a chrome stack with the long curve, pointing either straight to the right, or half way between forwards and right. And it has to be four feet tall to get the noise above the operator. But a correct muffler doesn’t look bad at all.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, 7and8and1456 said:

Muffler.

Here is picture of mine with muffler and curved pipe extension. 

Capture 1456.JPG

I see you added a 2 post ROPS with canopy!! When did you install that? 

• Like 1

I put a muffler on the M for PTO duty.. ashamed to say i like it.. straight pipe is still ready to go if i get some annoying visitors. I vote muffler. 

• Haha 1

Have both for my 1456. I prefer the chrome stack but if I was working it all day muffler would go back on. 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Farmall1066 said:

I see you added a 2 post ROPS with canopy!! When did you install that? 

Blaine, I bought two of them in 2006 from Mark Mathis, a Red Power member from Missouri. He was at the Southeast Old Threshers’ Reunion in Denton , N.C. and he had several of them ( all new aftermarket units he had built in Missouri) on a trailer there that day. He dropped them off at our farm later that day as he headed home for Missouri. I put one on the 1456 and the other on my 756. Nice units built just like IH originals. 

Picture below of 756 with canopy, muffler and curved pipe extension like my 14 in second picture below.

Capture 756 and corn.JPG

015 (Large).JPG

• Like 4

Muffler on EVERYTHING I have plus,earplugs.I like to hear and feel that grunt of a IH engine especially a 1066 not that loud obnoxious straight pipe.Plus they look right, factory. 

• Like 3

For those of us chrome pipe lovers, you all know they were an option from IH right? They are in the parts book. The coolest one I ever saw was on a 1066 several years ago at an auction. Tractor was not showy, but it had a chrome pipe. As we walked up to check it out we noticed the chrome pipe had the same IH stamped in it that the mufflers had. I have never seen another one. Wanted to buy it just to get that pipe, but I didn't. Now I wish I had.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

For those of us chrome pipe lovers, you all know they were an option from IH right? They are in the parts book. The coolest one I ever saw was on a 1066 several years ago at an auction. Tractor was not showy, but it had a chrome pipe. As we walked up to check it out we noticed the chrome pipe had the same IH stamped in it that the mufflers had. I have never seen another one. Wanted to buy it just to get that pipe, but I didn't. Now I wish I had.

Right you are on that Matt. I remember dad telling me when he bought the 1486, the deal closer was that they put a chrome pipe on it. Still on it today. 

7 hours ago, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

I sure didn't know that. Now auctions are more interesting, I will be checking out any chrome pipes. Did they offer them for a 1026? Might have to be a hypocrite  and put one on mine if they did and just wear ear plugs and muffs. 

• Haha 1

My dad unfortunately misses out on a lot of stuff because of hearing loss, frustrating for all of us and him. I vote muffler, it looks original and bigger and beefier. 

• Like 5

Muffler rusted out on ole 96 E-One fire engine, I quick stuck a straight piece of pipe in place of muffler. Yep ya guessed it "BARN FIRE" where it was positioned it set there and bellowed for a couple hours pumping, didn't take long to order a new muffler. I however do love the sound of a straight piped turbo charged engine. Been using some of Thomure's double wall straight pipes, knocks a bit of the edge off. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

That I did not know! And would be awesome to land one of those pipes!! Now I will be having to find time to frequent more auctions!! 

No turbo, muffler.

Turbo, straight pipe.

I made a muffler inside a straight pipe for my H.

It works surprisingly well.

Looks good without the noise.

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, Long Farms said:

Did the IH chrome muffler have a part # too with the Stamped IH emblem?

Yes it did. Was done just like on the mufflers. I wish I had taken a picture, wait, I think I may not have had a phone with a camera then. 

• Like 1
Just now, m.c.farmerboy said:

GOD created straight pipes to keep bystanders at a safe distance 

If I was worried about my hearing I never would have got married 

The less I hear, The more I like it

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, m.c.farmerboy said:

If I was worried about my hearing I never would have got married 

The less I hear, The more I like it

DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT shake your head up and down if you can't hear what she says and you think you know what she said. I speak from experience. Cost me new carpet in living room and dining room.

• Haha 5
16 hours ago, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

chrome pipe had the same IH stamped in it that the mufflers had.

Is it pretty obvious?

I got the chrome 45 degree straight pipe from Shelhammer Imp in O'Neill NE for my 966 soon after I bought it around 1984. 

Probably aftermarket, never thought to look for IH stamping.