L O L

sandhiller

Stopped on my way through town to check on the mobile mechanic who was putting a starter in the KW today. 

I says, "boy they sure hid that thing up in there".

He says yeah and explained how bad it was. 

I says looks like the engineer never saw that motor in between frame rails. 

He says it goes way back to a mechanic that had a love affair with a CAT engineers wife and we been payin' for it ever since!??

Anyway, real nice young kid fresh out of school that seemed knowledgeable and friendly and wanting to work. Nice big service truck and skinny enough to slide under the ground hugging T700 (leaves me and Chad out?)

Married a Valentine girl so looks like we will have him around for awhile. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

had an old timer at the local International truck dealer in the early 2000's tell me the he once told a group of engineers from the company that the reason they made stuff so hard to work on was a long time ago an engineer caught a joe blo mechanic screwing his ole lady and we are still paying the price

LOL

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, cougar766 said:

had an old timer at the local International truck dealer in the early 2000's tell me the he once told a group of engineers from the company that the reason they made stuff so hard to work on was a long time ago an engineer caught a joe blo mechanic screwing his ole lady and we are still paying the price

LOL

Engineer could work it on paper but the mechanic had the tool to get the job done. ?

• Haha 9

I saw it suggested years ago that each part of the design team must have had its own water cooler so they never met.

Only vehicle I've met that looked like thought had been given to the mechanic who comes after the factory is a 1981 Alfa Romeo Alfetta - there is always just enough room.  Though you need the shop manual to find it in some cases but that never requires partial dis-assembly of the whole vehicle

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Been there done that on my daughter's escape. Think have to take plastic drip tray off to get better access to batt....or to get it slid out maybe.

• Like 1

My first pickup was a 65 chevy step side 4x4  292 six I could sit  on the fender well pull the head lap the valves and put it back together siting on the fender well.

My 2019 ............I can't even find the head      Some days I think we are going backwards

Dad  used to say an engineer should be a machanic for 4 years before engineer school

• Like 8

The engineers at the Skunk Works were all in a big room with their desks back to back.

They designed the SR71 by committee.

If someone had a problem, they just asked the others.

Someone usually had the answer to the question.

They built a plane that would really fly.

Now day's, you can't have an office like that or even a water cooler.

The right hand doesn't know what the left hand has done or is doing.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Diesel Doctor said:

The engineers at the Skunk Works were all in a big room with their desks back to back.

Amen to that.  And sadly interoffice communication is getting worse everyday.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

Heard a new one today.

Tryagnosing- cant figure it out so start trying parts till it goes.

?

Sounds like diagnosing problems with these modern computerised systems 

A son of Charles Darwin was a co=founder of Cambridge Instruments 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambridge_Scientific_Instrument_Company

Seems he said that "If you have a promising design you should try assembling it backwards and it may even be better"

• Like 1

We call that parts changer technicians. Never carry an electric meter or any diagnostic tools and wouldn't know how to use them if they did.

11 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

Heard a new one today.

Tryagnosing- cant figure it out so start trying parts till it goes.

?

• Like 2

21 hours ago, VacDaddyt said:

We call that parts changer technicians. Never carry an electric meter or any diagnostic tools and wouldn't know how to use them if they did.

On the CaseIH FB page a man was asking for some advise.  He brought in a newish Magnum with a goofy deal.  Like some switch wasnt working right.  Just some thing minor but liked to get it looked at.  Dealer took 10 days.  No calls.  $27000 bill...the "tech" basically replaced every BCM.  And in the write up said  "replaced X, no change"  then, "tried Y and no change".  Just a documented display of incompetence.  Most replies were... "call a lawyer and you fight".

I sadly agreed.  How the **** you didnt call the owner is beyond me.  

$27000..... guy said he would of bought a used aq Mag for that!

• Sad 2

20 hours ago, m.c.farmerboy said:

old farmer down the road use to call them educated idiots 

The  term "educated beyond his intelligence" comes to mind.

• Like 2

On 3/31/2021 at 9:36 PM, Diesel Doctor said:

I think common sence was more common back in them days 

• Like 2

On 3/31/2021 at 9:31 AM, iowaboy1965 said:

Been there done that on my daughter's escape. Think have to take plastic drip tray off to get better access to batt....or to get it slid out maybe.

I have a 2002 Escape for our 2nd car. My go to battery guy will install the new battery for you in the parking lot. Not on an Escape. You can't even pay him to do it. So my last tie I drop the fancy little battery screw. It goes down into the black hole. ow where an I going to find a new specialty screw n Sat afternoon. So I partially disassemble the fender :(. I did cal the Ford engineer(s) that designed it a a few (well maybe a lot) of uncomplimentary words.  Next trip in the hardware store I bought one of those extendable magnetic tools.

On 3/31/2021 at 9:36 PM, Diesel Doctor said:

And now we have all the companies jumping on working remote to save on building space, leases, rent etc. in the name of covid. So the productivity goes down. (Been there, experienced it for 2 months last year), the collaboration to get a good design, solve problems etc disappears. Another way the country is going downhill.

The good thing for me is I can pull the retirement card any day, any time I want :). I do like what I do so I'm staying around for a while longer.

• Like 3

We had an 05 escape before.  It wasn't so bad as daughters 14. Design has changed, batt is recessed under the plastic tray that catches water at bottom of windshield.  I mean totally back under it. I can't recall I may have found an alternate but still required taking something loose/out of the way to slide battery forward and up 

1 hour ago, iowaboy1965 said:

We had an 05 escape before.  It wasn't so bad as daughters 14. Design has changed, batt is recessed under the plastic tray that catches water at bottom of windshield.  I mean totally back under it. I can't recall I may have found an alternate but still required taking something loose/out of the way to slide battery forward and up 

ive drug one out of there, not too bad