Going in to talk to dealer tomorrow, wish me luck!

• Like 1

Wow 15k with a test harness?  Thats like a promise of a issue.  Why else would it be in there?  

8000hr i think is ok if cool filter was kept up.  Lots to think about.  Demo for a few hours would be wise

13 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

Wow 15k with a test harness?  Thats like a promise of a issue.  Why else would it be in there?  

8000hr i think is ok if cool filter was kept up.  Lots to think about.  Demo for a few hours would be wise

The OP hasn’t said what the asking price is yet I was just saying that’s what it would bring around here.  It’s amazing I’ve looked at a lot of 5x88 series tractors on dealer lots.  Most of them the interiors are shredded with an inch of mud on the floor, and they still want gold for them!!

3 hours ago, Mike56073 said:

The OP hasn’t said what the asking price is yet I was just saying that’s what it would bring around here.  It’s amazing I’ve looked at a lot of 5x88 series tractors on dealer lots.  Most of them the interiors are shredded with an inch of mud on the floor, and they still want gold for them!!

Oh...i mixed up 2 post.  

Here they are few and far and low resale.

A 5288 if for sale 1 hr south.  Estate deal...bet be under 12k  1 owner, pics look good   But it be hard sell.  They had a poor rep and my 5088 was not a real good unit.

Well, I passed... right wrong or otherwise.

Tractor has had an engine overhaul 300 hours ago and the ac system re-done. Dealer was firm at $19,000.00 just off the cuff a new sentry was going to run $2,800.00.

From what I have seen the tractor and sentry price were going to put me at the higher end of value range on a 2wd 5488 with those kind of hours. That's not including anything else it needs. Dealer wasn't sure if it had transmission updates yet or not. I'm sure it will sell, just not to me lol.

Hard to think about spending that much on something when we bought an 8920 2 wheel drive with 2,300 original hours for 46k and recently an 8930 mfd with 6,400 hours for 38k

I realize the market is different now than it was a yr ago, but long-term I think it's better to pass.

Thanks for everyone's help. I'll get one bought eventually 

• Like 4

Might be different if it had FWA, but anything bigger than the 5288-1586 you just can't get the power to the ground with 2wd. Remember dad's 6030. Ran out of traction way before the engine noticed any load.

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Rescue11 said:

Tractor has had an engine overhaul 300 hours ago and the ac system re-done. Dealer was firm at $19,000.00 just off the cuff a new sentry was going to run $2,800.00.

From what I have seen the tractor and sentry price were going to put me at the higher end of value range on a 2wd 5488 with those kind of hours. That's not including anything else it needs. Dealer wasn't sure if it had transmission updates yet or not. I'm sure it will sell, just not to me lol.

Hard to think about spending that much on something when we bought an 8920 2 wheel drive with 2,300 original hours for 46k and recently an 8930 mfd with 6,400 hours for 38k

I realize the market is different now than it was a yr ago, but long-term I think it's better to pass.

sounds like you made the right choice, I know mine is not a 5488 - mine ( 5088 )  has a makeover paint job not rattle can, ( avg ) done at the dealer with decals. It had a new engine ( reman ) trannie updates done, cab kit, everything worked on it ( electrically and mechanically ) outside of the AC had a leak. I spent 2K on the A/C. It had new michelin radials on the rear. Trannie updates. I got mine in 18. No regrets yet. Has had trannie updates. One owner outside of the guy i got it from who bought it as a tax right off and in 6 yrs put less than 100 hours on it. I gave 16250 for it. 18250 in it with the AC updates. Its really nice even at 9400 hours. It does not have a sentry ( test harness )  but I shift straight gears and rarely power shift in it, I clutch it if I do, not sure if that matters? Mine came with duals ( 50% ) . I was able to talk to the dealer it came from, original owner, even the mechanic that did all the work on it from when it was sold new and obtained 80% of the receipts that I didnt have. Some were old and were gone from their old computer system so being able to talk to the original owner and mechanic was nice. 

Patience is great when waiting for one of these deals and worth every penny. 

You will be glad you did. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, searcyfarms said:

sounds like you made the right choice, I know mine is not a 5488 - mine ( 5088 )  has a makeover paint job not rattle can, ( avg ) done at the dealer with decals. It had a new engine ( reman ) trannie updates done, cab kit, everything worked on it ( electrically and mechanically ) outside of the AC had a leak. I spent 2K on the A/C. It had new michelin radials on the rear. Trannie updates. I got mine in 18. No regrets yet. Has had trannie updates. One owner outside of the guy i got it from who bought it as a tax right off and in 6 yrs put less than 100 hours on it. I gave 16250 for it. 18250 in it with the AC updates. Its really nice even at 9400 hours. It does not have a sentry ( test harness )  but I shift straight gears and rarely power shift in it, I clutch it if I do, not sure if that matters? Mine came with duals ( 50% ) . I was able to talk to the dealer it came from, original owner, even the mechanic that did all the work on it from when it was sold new and obtained 80% of the receipts that I didnt have. Some were old and were gone from their old computer system so being able to talk to the original owner and mechanic was nice. 

Patience is great when waiting for one of these deals and worth every penny. 

You will be glad you did. 

If this tractor was everything yours is would have went for it. Sounds like it's a really nice machine! Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experience, I really wasn't 100% sure which way to go.

15 hours ago, Rescue11 said:

You made the right call for that money, you'll eventually find one there is always some out there if you keep your eyes open, how far are you willing to travel and whats your price range I'll keep my eye out for them also

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, Rescue11 said:

If this tractor was everything yours is would have went for it. Sounds like it's a really nice machine! Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experience, I really wasn't 100% sure which way to go.

thanks i felt fortunate to get it, got to get teh wiper motor replaced, it went out, alternator had to be rebuilt last yr, i got it for my aging dad as its so much easier to get in/out of than the 706 cab. I took it on trade for his half of the 5088. I have been doing some fix up projects on it. Still working on those.

He is 81 and getting unstable and losing strength but cant keep him out of the tractor. 

Added a 2355 to the 5088 since for him to push brush around when trees fall out in the fields or push snow and fill up pot holes LOL. 

I mow with a batwing, drill crp, disc with it mainly. 

5 hours ago, 88power said:

You made the right call for that money, you'll eventually find one there is always some out there if you keep your eyes open, how far are you willing to travel and whats your price range I'll keep my eye out for them also

I have been looking for about 10 years, the biggest thing with this tractor, although not having exactly what I want it was in town at the dealer we have done business with for over half a century. I knew they would stand behind it, with a tractor like this I want to buy one from a trusted individual, where I can put my eyes and hands on it prior to writing a check. 

Price range I'd say 15 at tops for now, however that, just like anything has variables too. I think I'm going to let off the gas for now. The used equipment market has jumped alot... along with Fertilizer and everything else. Probably sit on my hands for now. 

Appreciate yours and everyone else help through this.  Many thanks

27 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

thanks i felt fortunate to get it, got to get teh wiper motor replaced, it went out, alternator had to be rebuilt last yr, i got it for my aging dad as its so much easier to get in/out of than the 706 cab. I took it on trade for his half of the 5088. I have been doing some fix up projects on it. Still working on those.

He is 81 and getting unstable and losing strength but cant keep him out of the tractor. 

Added a 2355 to the 5088 since for him to push brush around when trees fall out in the fields or push snow and fill up pot holes LOL. 

I mow with a batwing, drill crp, disc with it mainly. 

Grandpa is 86 as of February, he could not get in the cab of our '79 1086 anymore. We got a step kit, door opener kit, and side handle for it and it allows him to still use it!

• Like 2
On 4/4/2021 at 1:25 PM, Rescue11 said:

Funny how things have changed purchased 5288 FWD for $19,000 with 5200 hours in 2003, nobody wanted it. Problem with sentry just was not wired up properly.

• Like 1

Looked at a 5488 FWD at Schumacher Maag Co in Ottawa Ohio fall of 1990. Had 3000 hours. They were asking 32,000. Passed that up and a Steiger 325, and bought a 4586. We all make mistakes in life. Lol!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, 5288IH said:

Funny how things have changed purchased 5288 FWD for $19,000 with 5200 hours in 2003, nobody wanted it. Problem with sentry just was not wired up properly.

That's probably before most guys had a love for them and the time when alot of guys remembered the idiosyncrasies without the wealth of information and peripheral support they have today! Good time to buy! Do you still have that tractor?

BTW, 19k in 2003 is equivalent to roughly 27k today! ... ish

21 minutes ago, 856 Custom said:

Looked at a 5488 FWD at Schumacher Maag Co in Ottawa Ohio fall of 1990. Had 3000 hours. They were asking 32,000. Passed that up and a Steiger 325, and bought a 4586. We all make mistakes in life. Lol!

I'd take any 3! Lol

20190807_205202.thumb.jpg.3fda365b6ac2927553fd4506cbbda953.jpg bought this one for 10,  had 60% rears (there's 40% left.) Leaking axles, (another story) AC has to be updated  and interior nonexistent 

Dissatisfied with the deal/ jockey. 

But I like the tractor.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Rescue11 said:

That's probably before most guys had a love for them and the time when alot of guys remembered the idiosyncrasies without the wealth of information and peripheral support they have today! Good time to buy! Do you still have that tractor?

BTW, 19k in 2003 is equivalent to roughly 27k today! ... ish

Yes I do still a good tractor do about 80-100 hours a year. Did stop farming for 5 year in between.

I got the 2wd for $6500 3 years ago and just picked up the mfwd for $17,500 with the loader. The 2wd has been an honest tractor and I’ve done very little work to it.  I haven’t even put a full hour on the mfwd yet so time will tell if it was a good deal or not. It does have a brand new sentry and all decent rubber on it at least. 

E3677EBA-FD1A-4675-8480-5B62CED73D9A.jpeg

280DED47-F632-415E-8C3B-FA8098E4E485.jpeg

• Like 3

Both were auction buys so I really rolled the dice. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, ZG6E said:

Both were auction buys so I really rolled the dice. 

Man, sofar I'd say your luck is pretty strong! I'd love to have that mfd. Nice looking tractor 

11 hours ago, ZG6E said:

I got the 2wd for $6500 3 years ago and just picked up the mfwd for $17,500 with the loader. The 2wd has been an honest tractor and I’ve done very little work to it.  I haven’t even put a full hour on the mfwd yet so time will tell if it was a good deal or not. It does have a brand new sentry and all decent rubber on it at least. 

E3677EBA-FD1A-4675-8480-5B62CED73D9A.jpeg

280DED47-F632-415E-8C3B-FA8098E4E485.jpeg

That 54 2wd for 6500 is quite a deal,a tale of two opposites for sure, seller was at the BOTTOM and you were clean to the top.

1 hour ago, Jacka said:

That 54 2wd for 6500 is quite a deal,a tale of two opposites for sure, seller was at the BOTTOM and you were clean to the top.

The seller was a bobcat dealer in Miles City, MT. They traded it in on a skid steer and threw it on auction time. I think the location is why it went so cheap. It happens to be fairly close to me so it worked out. 

• Like 1