GMC TopKick 7000 with a hop

44 minutes ago, rustred said:

it cant, its grease filled and there is a seal on it also, and the spline is horizontal, its just how they are. and most do have a grease  nipple for that spline. water is the last thing i would worry about.

I’ll ask tomorrow when I go pick it up if there is an orientation difference, he decided it needed more than he could do in the time he had it this afternoon.... getting lots of miles in but no billable hours this week😡

• Confused 1
  • Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Congratulations,  you found your problem. I'm a little put out. I said it was most likely a driveshaft problem before jmech but he gets the credit! You Yankees are discriminating against us

Did the hoping stop now that Easter is over?

The problem is in fact that you have been using Hy-Tran inside the driveshaft when you should have been using Official Yellow Wonder Bucket Fluid!!!

Posted Images

I found this manual to be very helpful when I shortened my truck:

https://www.waterousco.com/media/pdfs/J3311-1-DSSP.pdf

Also, to save anyone the hassle that may be doing this type of work - DONT use those angle finder apps for your phone.  It’s terrible.  I have a proper digital angle gauge and compared the two - sometimes the iPhone was out by 2 degrees when you repeated a measurement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

Last time i knew sid would have to sit on a milk crate if he wanted to tow anything down the road. 

We’re back together 🙏🤞

15 hours ago, J-Mech said:

They must make trucks weird in Canada or something.  It's correct, let it go. 

here is pictures of my 2 weird canadian farm trucks.  what u say now mr. J. ?? this is showing the way it the shaft has to be. not going to let it go as this is how all the trucks are that i have pulled the shafts off to overhaul those trans. and diff's. in the 1980's.  and vtfireman, if you just took the shaft in they would not know how its installed on the truck. pictures do tell the story., the inner shaft does the driving.

IMG_1411.JPG

IMG_1412.JPG

• Like 1
1 hour ago, rustred said:

here is pictures of my 2 weird canadian farm trucks.  what u say now mr. J. ?? this is showing the way it the shaft has to be. not going to let it go as this is how all the trucks are that i have pulled the shafts off to overhaul those trans. and diff's. in the 1980's.  and vtfireman, if you just took the shaft in they would not know how its installed on the truck. pictures do tell the story., the inner shaft does the driving.

IMG_1411.JPG

IMG_1412.JPG

What I say is his is correct.  Yours is correct as well.  They are just different.  Doesn't matter, and neither is wrong or more advantageous than the other.  Don't worry about it being different from yours. 

Both yours look to have a lot of splines and a short slip shaft.  Likely a different driveline manufacturer.  

well before it was weird like you never saw my set up , now its a different style or manufacturer. i was stressing my point because VT said he had the driveshaft made up. that dont mean it was made correctly.   that is what i am after. never saw one like that and saw lots of shafts on trucks. i always eye up the shaft and this one jumped out at me. also the way VT's is it will wear those splines splines faster , being driven from the short floppy out side splines. you cant even test run it that way with the rear shaft off , as that short stub will slap you in the head.

10 minutes ago, rustred said:

well before it was weird like you never saw my set up , now its a different style or manufacturer. i was stressing my point because VT said he had the driveshaft made up. that dont mean it was made correctly.   that is what i am after. never saw one like that and saw lots of shafts on trucks. i always eye up the shaft and this one jumped out at me. also the way VT's is it will wear those splines splines faster , being driven from the short floppy out side splines. you cant even test run it that way with the rear shaft off , as that short stub will slap you in the head.

I have no idea why you've never seen a shaft like his before.  Very common. Spline wear is the same either way.

2 hours ago, rustred said:

the short shaft on mine is a factory shaft, I took it in fully assembled, I did ask, they said no bother, just how its made. but they did find issues

perhaps north of the black line driveshafts are upside down? just like toilets flush backwards in Australia? 

@J-Mech I hate when you are right...really I don't think your head needs to be any bigger. 

apart from carrier bearings he felt were pretty spent and a couple U joints he felt needed replacement the rear yoke of the forward ( new ) shaft was .055 out, he had to cut it and re weld it, now it has .003 runout said he wasn't sure how it stayed in the truck as bad as it was, he also said the worst one he has seen was a farm vehicle, I think a sprayer by his description that was .125 out of whack. I will post a video as he took one of it with the dial indicator on it. too late once I got home to put it in... or at least I wasn't going to do it, so ill put it in tomorrow and report back. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, rustred said:

IMG_1411.JPG

IMG_1412.JPG

We have ones just like it in international 4700 trucks.  Very common made by spicer.  It’s a lighter duty series of drive shaft then he is working with.  I was a little confused when you were saying slip yoke was backwards but now that I see your pictures I understand.  

Congratulations,  you found your problem.

I'm a little put out. I said it was most likely a driveshaft problem before jmech but he gets the credit!

You Yankees are discriminating against us southern white trash red neck hillbillies! 

White Trash Feelings matter.

Thx-Ace 

• Like 2
  • Haha 7
54 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

the rear yoke of the forward ( new ) shaft was .055 out

Just think about that spinning at 2000 RPM

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, acem said:

I'm a little put out. I said it was most likely a driveshaft problem before jmech but he gets the credit!

You Yankees are discriminating against us southern white trash red neck hillbillies! 

Thx-Ace 

At the end of the day we are all deplorables....

• Like 4
1 hour ago, acem said:

Thx-Ace 

And ace said that too!(sorry, some people i don't mind when they are right) 

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, new guy said:

At the end of the day we are all deplorables....

Infidels! 

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Art From Coleman said:

Or, those 'bitter, clingers"

Clingers! I thought he said Klingons and couldn't figure out the guns and religion part.

sad-worf.jpeg

• Haha 1
6 hours ago, Art From Coleman said:

Or, those 'bitter, clingers"

That is who the main stream media tried to blame for the car ramming the capital but it turn out to be a Farrakhan supporter 

Went to look at a piece of machinery at a sale. Noticed this Chevy truck and my brother and I started to laugh. We recognized it immediately by the paint and obeco grain box combo. My truck sales buddy sold these trucks on consignment when he first started out after selling his ranch. A guy in northern Iowa would assemble trucks. Always a Chevy like this truck and a big block gas. But any of the driveline was a combo of whatever scrap yard stuff he could get. This truck was a 5 speed 2 speed axle. They were all stretched and the white cab red box although two were red cab white box. The truck in picture has a reyco suspension dead tag combo. Something pieced together. Trucks exactly like this one is where you learned to fix vibrations , gear noises and transmission mount problems. He had another Chevy that had a 3 speed aux trans out of a 60s ford. The cross member was stamped ford. He had another twin screw truck he assembled that had the big IH stamp in rear axle third member cover. If you look at door sill I still remember to bondo on door frame. Truck box had brand new paint and I worked on the brakes and booster system on this.

FB718868-4F68-439D-A4DC-52893A9EC677.jpeg

6FE98B06-4627-419A-A6CA-D7A5C26010C3.jpeg

89C87957-63CA-4849-A951-9C19BCC9A587.jpeg

14 hours ago, dale560 said:

Went to look at a piece of machinery at a sale. Noticed this Chevy truck and my brother and I started to laugh. We recognized it immediately by the paint and obeco grain box combo. My truck sales buddy sold these trucks on consignment when he first started out after selling his ranch. A guy in northern Iowa would assemble trucks. Always a Chevy like this truck and a big block gas. But any of the driveline was a combo of whatever scrap yard stuff he could get. This truck was a 5 speed 2 speed axle. They were all stretched and the white cab red box although two were red cab white box. The truck in picture has a reyco suspension dead tag combo. Something pieced together. Trucks exactly like this one is where you learned to fix vibrations , gear noises and transmission mount problems. He had another Chevy that had a 3 speed aux trans out of a 60s ford. The cross member was stamped ford. He had another twin screw truck he assembled that had the big IH stamp in rear axle third member cover. If you look at door sill I still remember to bondo on door frame. Truck box had brand new paint and I worked on the brakes and booster system on this.

FB718868-4F68-439D-A4DC-52893A9EC677.jpeg

6FE98B06-4627-419A-A6CA-D7A5C26010C3.jpeg

89C87957-63CA-4849-A951-9C19BCC9A587.jpeg

Hey now!!!

I resemble those comments!!

Growing up on a seed potato farm we were always stretching trucks and adding auxiliaries so that trucks would go SLOW ENOUGH to drive alongside the potato harvester.

One particular Dodge D600 started out as a single axle with hydraulic brakes.  Then it was stretched and a two speed rear was added.  Later the engine was swapped from a 360? to a 318.  The next modification was that it was stretched again and a tag axle was added.  When the single screw axle and tag axle were removed it was stretched AGAIN and a tandem axle was added.  Remember, this was a hydraulic brake chassis.  Forty years ago it was still possible to find hydraulic brake tandem rear ends.  An auxiliary transmission had been added at some point, but I honestly cannot remember if it was before or after the tandems were added.

That Dodge was probably the most heavily modified bulk body truck that we had.  After that we started seeking out trucks with the wheelbase that we wanted. Later on we even started looking for trucks that already had auxiliaries installed.

But when potato bodies started jumping from 12 and 14 footers to 18 and 20 footers, then 22 footers, then 24 footers trucks needed to grow too. Before we stopped growing potatoes we were using 33 foot and 40 foot semi-trailers.  And all of that for only 5-6 weeks in the fall to harvest!  A couple of trucks would haul cut seed from our packing house to the planter in the field, and a couple would haul potatoes out of storage to the packing house, but the rest of the year they would sit idle.

4 minutes ago, 1586 Jeff said:

Hey now!!!

I resemble those comments!!

Growing up on a seed potato farm we were always stretching trucks and adding auxiliaries so that trucks would go SLOW ENOUGH to drive alongside the potato harvester.

One particular Dodge D600 started out as a single axle with hydraulic brakes.  Then it was stretched and a two speed rear was added.  Later the engine was swapped from a 360? to a 318.  The next modification was that it was stretched again and a tag axle was added.  When the single screw axle and tag axle were removed it was stretched AGAIN and a tandem axle was added.  Remember, this was a hydraulic brake chassis.  Forty years ago it was still possible to find hydraulic brake tandem rear ends.  An auxiliary transmission had been added at some point, but I honestly cannot remember if it was before or after the tandems were added.

That Dodge was probably the most heavily modified bulk body truck that we had.  After that we started seeking out trucks with the wheelbase that we wanted. Later on we even started looking for trucks that already had auxiliaries installed.

But when potato bodies started jumping from 12 and 14 footers to 18 and 20 footers, then 22 footers, then 24 footers trucks needed to grow too. Before we stopped growing potatoes we were using 33 foot and 40 foot semi-trailers.  And all of that for only 5-6 weeks in the fall to harvest!  A couple of trucks would haul cut seed from our packing house to the planter in the field, and a couple would haul potatoes out of storage to the packing house, but the rest of the year they would sit idle.

I was around potato trucks also here in North Dakota and know exactly what you describe how they were assembled. When you drove down in the valley as the call the area around grand forks, Fargo, farmers used to have two boxes for all their trucks. A grain dump body and a belt or chain unload rear dump. They would have racks out in farm yard to support what body was changed out. The weirdest combo I came across was an old freight liner stretched with a 13 speed then an add on heavy auxiliary 4 speed. My potato buddy who passed away got into the practice of sort and grade on the digger and would fill the dollied transport trailers right along the digger. Two 7520 jd and two 3306 series 3 Steiger pulling trailers

• Like 2

Sounds like the spinach truck round here. Very large bulk beds. Had a heavy duty hitch up front where they were drug through the fields during a wet harvest. No spinach anymore. The canners shut down. Thx-Ace 

• Sad 1
7 minutes ago, Art From Coleman said:

death of Popeye?

Popeye died? Why? Because he was was a heterosexual with a girlfriend? Or because he resorted to physical violence instead of reasoning with Bluto?

• Haha 1