Jump to content

Western guys using or have used hay beds on pickups............Question


Recommended Posts

To put a long story short, was hoping to find a newer truck with a bed already on it, but with inflation and the current economic situation that is out.  So I was going to buy a hydraulic spear to pin on my stake body gooseneck ball.  But I got rooting around in my junk pile and have everything to build one.  I got to wondering if anyone has seen one that pins on the ball that brings the bale up on the bad more than just a single pivot at the rear?  Was wondering if anyone built something with a double pivot of some sort that gets the bale up on the bed more?   That would work ok with a single pivot, just wondering to transfer some more weight to the front of the truck.  Want to use it to haul hay between places to cut hours on other stuff..............And the place I need to go into crosses a creek off a narrow road, so trailer is out. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't have a bale bed but they are common here. Im kinda odd not to have one but my place is too wet for truck in the winter.

All the bale haulers that attach to a flatbed have two pivot pins for stability. At least all I've seen.

Thx-Ace 

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, acem said:

I don't have a bale bed but they are common here. Im kinda odd not to have one but my place is too wet for truck in the winter.

All the bale haulers that attach to a flatbed have two pivot pins for stability. At least all I've seen.

Thx-Ace 

Yes, it will have two pivots at the rear, but what I am getting at is if you had two more pivots on each side above those so when it would lift the bale it would also pull it towards the cab if you used a long cylinder, I know, my writing is about as clear as mud.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Deweze made in slide in unit. No never been close to one but the premise was it worked like a built in. You could bring your bale forward on the flatbed.94048782_balebed.jpg.074d994b4812399f27c2242cf943322f.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

That is the thing, would like to be able to pull it on/off quick and easy.  Probably will just go with 2 spikes on two 3pt balls as a pivot, but thought maybe someone came up with a idea to get it forward simply on one, maybe not, seems like most who move hay with a truck have a purpose built bed.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

My current set up is attached on the gooseneck and an angle across where meets the back of the bed. It needs to be anchored at the back or it will fly up when you hit a rut a little too hard. I mounted my pump in a retired tool box welded to the main tube so the entire unit comes off except for the cable disconnect at the front of the bed. Pretty heavy for me sometimes I use the loader to lift it off. If it helps a couple of pics from the design phase and before the toolbox was added to protect  the pump

20151227_171942.jpg

20151227_171954.jpg

20160118_102713.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Plan on building exactly that other than using a longer cylinder so I can get the bale more verical.  Wish I could figure out a simple way to get the bale farther forward, but can't come up with anything. I got some old turn buckles from a utility contractor years ago that I am going to run from the angle down to the channel my reciever is on to keep the back tight to the bed.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

How long of bed are you planning?  The one we had would place the bale about 2-3ft from the cab.  Then you grab the 2nd bale and push the first one all the way forward with the 2nd bale.  The arms were also adjustable so you could place the bale farther further yet.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

11 minutes ago, junkandcattle said:

My current set up is attached on the gooseneck and an angle across where meets the back of the bed. It needs to be anchored at the back or it will fly up when you hit a rut a little too hard. I mounted my pump in a retired tool box welded to the main tube so the entire unit comes off except for the cable disconnect at the front of the bed. Pretty heavy for me sometimes I use the loader to lift it off. If it helps a couple of pics from the design phase and before the toolbox was added to protect  the pump

20151227_171942.jpg

20151227_171954.jpg

20160118_102713.jpg

Honestly I’ve never seen that kind of a bale bed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TP from Central PA said:

That is the thing, would like to be able to pull it on/off quick and easy.  Probably will just go with 2 spikes on two 3pt balls as a pivot, but thought maybe someone came up with a idea to get it forward simply on one, maybe not, seems like most who move hay with a truck have a purpose built bed.  

Just curious Why do you need to pull it off?  The style we had didn’t interfere with anything when not in use.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you do a scissor action, like on the tips of my old Rogator? I can’t draw, but essentially the cylinder was in the middle of a double action hinge. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

Just curious Why do you need to pull it off?  The style we had didn’t interfere with anything when not in use.  

Because I am adapting this to a regular stake body...............This is not a regular hay bed like a Cannonball, Butler....etc.........Will use it for a few months, then pull it off when I need the full bed for other things.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Lazy WP said:

Can you do a scissor action, like on the tips of my old Rogator? I can’t draw, but essentially the cylinder was in the middle of a double action hinge. 

Thought about it, but would think it would get too heavy if you built it to last? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

Honestly I’ve never seen that kind of a bale bed.

If I could justify what you have it would be on my truck BUT .... so I built this from scrap except for the German spears, new hydraulic unit and cylinder. I can adjust it down to fit in the 3/4 ton pickup also. If I keep cutting back I won't need it at all. This year I think I probably moved 30 bales with it and 225 or so with the tractor 2 at a time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

Thought about it, but would think it would get too heavy if you built it to last? 

We redid the hinges and scissor hinges on the booms a couple years after I got the machine and made everything out of 3/8 material. I can’t think in mechanical terms but had a coworker who was amazing at figuring out things like that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, junkandcattle said:

If I could justify what you have it would be on my truck BUT .... so I built this from scrap except for the German spears, new hydraulic unit and cylinder. I can adjust it down to fit in the 3/4 ton pickup also. If I keep cutting back I won't need it at all. This year I think I probably moved 30 bales with it and 225 or so with the tractor 2 at a time.

We got rid of it and the pickup it was mounted on 8 years ago.  It was mounted on a 1997 Ford 350 gas.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Here’s a couple pics of mine. It doesn’t hinge twice but the angle where it attaches does throw the weight over onto the pickup more and it does stand a bale up vertical when raised all the way.  

D61614CB-EE85-4F2D-87EC-C2133964ACC6.png

4D71EEF7-3DDC-4AB1-A017-1601CBDFE3F8.png

E4323FFE-2418-4F2F-B101-8DD52CF7F541.png

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Cliff, what size cylinder did you use?  That is what I am after, although mine is low enough I am almost sure I can put my pivot right on the angle and won't need a drop, but I haven't measured anything yet.

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

One of our landlords has one that pinches the sides of the bale then pivots up. Can load two bales on the bed this system. I think he was a dealer maybe even

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Back in the day we would load round hay in the bed of a pickup with a tractor then push it off by hand when we got to the pasture! Thx-Ace 

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

Cliff, what size cylinder did you use?  That is what I am after, although mine is low enough I am almost sure I can put my pivot right on the angle and won't need a drop, but I haven't measured anything yet.

It's a 24" stroke and I think it's a 2.5" bore, it has plenty of power, it isn't real fast but I think that is a fact of life with a 12v pump.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cliff Neubauer said:

It's a 24" stroke and I think it's a 2.5" bore, it has plenty of power, it isn't real fast but I think that is a fact of life with a 12v pump.  

I think I have acouple that size laying here............easier to ask than to run the math to see what it would pull.  

Ace, the whole point of this for me is to not need to put hours on a loader................not about unloading them, I don't want to run a loader to that farm to get them if I can help it.  I will put some pictures up when I am up there, no lie, these are fields 2 to 10 acres in size on top of a mountain with a turkey path in to get to them.  I go by it on the main road often, and can bring one back home every time.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...