1086 PTO brake adjustment

I just had my PTO gone threw by the dealer to replace the  540 shaft, it was bent and just do an overall inspection. I reinstalled the PTO and set the pressure to 235.  When I start the tractor cold the PTO will spin. I then at low RPM I engage PTO and bring it up to 1000 RPM and then back it down and disengage the PTO it will stop in about three seconds. If I then bring the tractor up in RPM the PTO starts to move without being engaged. Nothing in the service manual says how to adjust that from happening. Do I have to pull it and bring it back to the dealer for a break piston. As far as I know the PTO did not engage on its own before I took it in.

Thanks.  

• Andejo changed the title to 1086 PTO brake adjustment
49 minutes ago, Andejo said:

I just had my PTO gone threw by the dealer to replace the  540 shaft, it was bent and just do an overall inspection. I reinstalled the PTO and set the pressure to 235.  When I start the tractor cold the PTO will spin. I then at low RPM I engage PTO and bring it up to 1000 RPM and then back it down and disengage the PTO it will stop in about three seconds. If I then bring the tractor up in RPM the PTO starts to move without being engaged. Nothing in the service manual says how to adjust that from happening. Do I have to pull it and bring it back to the dealer for a break piston. As far as I know the PTO did not engage on its own before I took it in.

Thanks.  

No adjustment for for the brake. It's spring applied. Although you could shim the springs a little but that's a complete tear down. Do you know if they checked the wear pads on brake piston? My guess is there's nothing wrong, new clutch discs/plates will have a little more drag. If it were mine I'd hook it to a pto driven machine. A dyno would be great or tube grinder of some sort. I think of you get a little wear on the clutches it'll be fine. Way too soon to open up.

Need to know if this is old style or new style. If old style where clutch pressure is set by turning spool up into block. You just have to verify that clutch pressure is zero in off position.

Newer style you will have to check brake and clutch pressure.

• Like 1

Since you removed and installed  the PTO,  it would be up to you to do a pressure check. (You did say you set the pressure, but is it zero in off position as snoshoe asked?)  The dealer would not have been able to do it off the tractor.  Also, the clutches could be too tight for some reason if they were replaced.  Only part of the story that raises questions for me is you said:

2 hours ago, Andejo said:

As far as I know the PTO did not engage on its own before I took it in.

So.... maybe this isn't a new issue....??

I would run it on something for a day or so, Sometimes new clutches have more drag and they need to be broke in then see what it does

1 hour ago, ksfarmdude said:

I would run it on something for a day or so, Sometimes new clutches have more drag and they need to be broke in then see what it does

That seems totally opposite of what would help.  *IF* the problem is that the friction discs are dragging (and we don't even know if it had new installed) then engaging them would not help break them in.  They are locked on when engaged.  Using the tractor with nothing on the PTO and letting the clutches spin against the steels when not engaged should wear them down some and stop the dragging. Engagement wears them more than anything else, starting a heavy load, but they shouldn't wear at all engaged unless the pressure is low and they are slipping. 

• Like 1

I don't think he got new clutches, he said had it inspected and a new 540 shaft installed because it was bent. Brakes are probably worn and the pressure was probably not set at 235 before it was removed. So now it creeps. Try to turn the pressure down a little and see if it still creeps would be my suggestion to start.

5 minutes ago, J-Mech said:

That seems totally opposite of what would help.  *IF* the problem is that the friction discs are dragging (and we don't even know if it had new installed) then engaging them would not help break them in.  They are locked on when engaged.  Using the tractor with nothing on the PTO and letting the clutches spin against the steels when not engaged should wear them down some and stop the dragging. Engagement wears them more than anything else, starting a heavy load, but they shouldn't wear at all engaged unless the pressure is low and they are slipping. 

Need something hooked to pto shaft to keep it from spinning. If pto shaft is spinning with nothing on it nothing is being accomplished.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, TB5288 said:

Need something hooked to pto shaft to keep it from spinning. If pto shaft is spinning with nothing on it nothing is being accomplished.

Concur.  But it might stop with warm oil also.

• Like 1

Sooner or later its got to run something if its been rebuilt no better time to break it in to see what else may pop up

So I re read the manual and that little part that where it says the hydro oil should be at lest 65.6 C (150deg F) when setting the pressure. I did not I just started it and let it run for a few minuets and set it. I seen 65  and thought ok, set it cold thinking it was Fahrenheit . So I realized my mistake and ran the tractor and tested the temp around the PTO area with a temp gun. Once it got above the 150 F I was able to set the pressure. My PTO does not turn now even at 2300 RPM when it is disengaged.   

Thanks everybody for the help. I feel like an idiot so I hope this helps others down the road. 

Thanks again everybody! 

2 hours ago, Andejo said:

So I re read the manual and that little part that where it says the hydro oil should be at lest 65.6 C (150deg F) when setting the pressure. I did not I just started it and let it run for a few minuets and set it. I seen 65  and thought ok, set it cold thinking it was Fahrenheit . So I realized my mistake and ran the tractor and tested the temp around the PTO area with a temp gun. Once it got above the 150 F I was able to set the pressure. My PTO does not turn now even at 2300 RPM when it is disengaged.   

Thanks everybody for the help. I feel like an idiot so I hope this helps others down the road. 

Thanks again everybody! 

Just out of curiosity how far off was it once it was warmed up?

• Like 1

The way I read it, the dealer replaced the 540 PTO shaft and just looked it over, as per owners request.

I would never go into one of those without a new kit being installed.

New brake pistons and o-rings make them stop like they should.

It appears this may have bit the owner in the butt?

• Like 3