3488 5 gal over full?

On my 6588 and 3688 we run the hytran  3-5 gal over. I think i read somewhere that you should not do that with a hydro tractor.

Im just wondering why that would be. 

A few pictures of my 3pt hitch swap. 

Next is 6 hole wedge lock hubs and a/c compressor, dryer and expansion valve. 

20210325_134120.jpg

20210327_113029.jpg

20210326_134923.jpg

20210325_133959.jpg

20210325_130611_HDR.jpg

20210327_102950.jpg

Don't know about hydros but most people run 5 gallon over unnecessarily, as that "fix" only works for one specific condition, yet people tout it as a magical fix all for every hydraulic problem under the sun, and some skin conditions. Generally it's a waste of a perfectly good $100+ worth of oil.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
21 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Don't know about hydros but most people run 5 gallon over unnecessarily, as that "fix" only works for one specific condition, yet people tout it as a magical fix all for every hydraulic problem under the sun, and some skin conditions. Generally it's a waste of a perfectly good $100+ worth of oil.

Yup.  I never understood it either. The engineers decided on the amount of oil and I figure they are a lot smarter than I am so why would I overfill it. 

• Like 1

Since they were new we had to overfill to keep the PTO on when running forage harvester, hay mower, or cyclo planter when going down steep hills. Real pain when the pto quits. This was on new tractors with no issues yet. After about half minute on a steep hill, just about to bottom it would get you. Not so bad on planter or mower, but sucked on the chopper. Over fill cured it.    And,  yes we did it on the 186 also for the same reason.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, 1480x3 said:

Since they were new we had to overfill to keep the PTO on when running forage harvester, hay mower, or cyclo planter when going down steep hills. Real pain when the pto quits. This was on new tractors with no issues yet. After about half minute on a steep hill, just about to bottom it would get you. Not so bad on planter or mower, but sucked on the chopper. Over fill cured it.    And,  yes we did it on the 186 also for the same reason.

Exactly right.I was raised basicly flat ground some rolling hills but never near what I farm now. We never over filled, never even told to do it or even thought about.That all changed when I moved to this hill farm. Hills change EVERYTHING,how to turn,mow,bale(really on round bales),how full you can load,how you farm.

Yes,it really stinks when you chopping and pto shuts off.Most time it's ok,but I am afraid of low oil pressure and  slipping clutches. What is a pain is I have a 14' 8370 sycle bar mower conditioner. When pto shuts off,it plugs in a second and belts squeal as soon as it starts back up ,plugged tight. Flat land farmers have it made.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Don't get me wrong. It doesn't hurt a thing, except your wallet, and if it helps you sleep better at night, have at it.

For us hill people the oil costs less than repairs when the PTO restarts after the 2 or 3 second stop under full speed and load. Don't forget we did not turn the PTO off so as soon as it picks up oil it engages, usually before you can react to shut it off. Twisted/busted PTO shafts, u-joints, belts, only took a gearbox once. Usually no damage, just inconvenient unless heavy load.  Don't know, but this might not be an issue on late 86 and newer with the new style PTO. Does it stay off and not reengage when it looses oil flow ?  The shutdown not bad,  it's the restart.     😃

• Like 2
20 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

he filter

19 hours ago, lorenzo said:

Yup.  I never understood it either. The engineers decided on the amount of oil and I figure they are a lot smarter than I am so why would I overfill it. 

One downside of running over full when not necessary is all the extra oil that drains out of the filter cavity when changing the filter.

2 hours ago, 1480x3 said:

For us hill people the oil costs less than repairs when the PTO restarts after the 2 or 3 second stop under full speed and load. Don't forget we did not turn the PTO off so as soon as it picks up oil it engages, usually before you can react to shut it off. Twisted/busted PTO shafts, u-joints, belts, only took a gearbox once. Usually no damage, just inconvenient unless heavy load.  Don't know, but this might not be an issue on late 86 and newer with the new style PTO. Does it stay off and not reengage when it looses oil flow ?  The shutdown not bad,  it's the restart.     😃

Funny thing is we live on some pretty good hills here and never had any problem with the PTO shutting off with any of the tractors. Dad had never heard of the 5 gallon over full "trick." If anything he tended to run them a little low, because there's always a little leak or some oil dribbles out on the ground when you unhook the hydraulic lines.