What happened to International Harvester Company ?

Dave Mac

I guess this question has been answered on RedPower many times, but I am a relative newbie to the site, and having owned a TD6 many years ago and now restoring an English assembled BTD6, I am thinking what happened to this company ?

When I was just a kid in the sixties, a close family friend worked for IH selling trucks, and machinery. I have lots of good memory’s of riding around in New International pick up trucks, and on one occasion I recall going on a journey in a large International truck with a new BTD6 on the back for delivery to a farmer.

At the time there was and still is a lot of IH products in use in New Zealand, I guess there is lots of reasons why an apparent successful manufacturer disappears. This one appeared to have everything going for it then.

• Like 1

Technically they are still in business (Navistar  / International Truck & Engine)  think Volkswagen just bought them out?

International sold off the ag division to Tenneco who owned J.I. Case.....

Read "Corporate Tragedy" by Barbara Marsh, I think it will answer your questions. Just reading it again myself...........  

• Like 5

As usual, what happens to corporate businesses, they often get so big the left doesn't know what the right is doing, and they forget to pay attention to what the customer demands & common financial sense. Often deciding that certain divisions are no longer "profitable enough", get over extended, & labor costs by bending over to union rules & dictates, forcing the sell off of entire divisions & entire companies. IH had very good products, both Ag, Vehicle, and Construction.

Navistar is now under the Sterling brand, the Construction division is no longer viable, the Ag division is now CaseIH, which I understand is turning into CNHI. Which I understand, the recent purchase of New Holland it now looks like it will be Case, New Holland, International. But I'm guessing here, I don't follow corporate mergers that close, I have other things more important like you do, such as Living a life........

But the history of IH and Farmal is of particular interest to me as I grew up on the research facility in Hinsdale Ill. back in the day....

• Like 3

1 hour ago, N S said:

Navistar is now under the Sterling brand, the Construction division is no longer viable, the Ag division is now CaseIH, which I understand is turning into CNHI. Which I understand, the recent purchase of New Holland it now looks like it will be Case, New Holland, International 

I wish!!  Pretty sure IH is gone from the name and it’s now CNH Industrial. 

• Like 1

Construction equipment was bought by DRESSTA, they still make crawlers using the old IH numbering system, TD-8, TD-9, etc.  Production was pulled out of Melrose Park where IH built dozers and in-line 6 cyl diesel engines. Think there was a post here a month or so ago the Melrose Park, Ill plant is being torn down to build a shopping mall.

The construction equip plant in LIBERTYVILLE, Illinois built about everything else I think, end loaders, Pay-Scrapers, Pay Hauler off road dump trucks. When I drove semi I used to drive by the Libertyville plant every several months, place seemed busy, and one afternoon when I worked for the steel foundry I delivered four cast steel steering axles to Libertyville Plant, must have been for their littlest truck, they only weighed 250# each.

Plants like "The Tractor Works," and West Pullman, and the Milwaukee Plant all disappeared decades ago.

I worked with a guy who worked for The IH Waukesha Ductile Iron Foundry for many years, He set up their machine shop to do value added machining to castings. Ductile iron is also referred to as NODULAR Iron, and in the olden days they called it "semi-steel" because it could be made harder & stronger with heat-treating.  I don't ever remember anyone mentioning the place when I was at FARMALL. We would have used a steel forging from Louisville.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, N S said:

As usual, what happens to corporate businesses, they often get so big the left doesn't know what the right is doing, and they forget to pay attention to what the customer demands & common financial sense. Often deciding that certain divisions are no longer "profitable enough", get over extended, & labor costs by bending over to union rules & dictates, forcing the sell off of entire divisions & entire companies. IH had very good products, both Ag, Vehicle, and Construction.

Navistar is now under the Sterling brand, the Construction division is no longer viable, the Ag division is now CaseIH, which I understand is turning into CNHI. Which I understand, the recent purchase of New Holland it now looks like it will be Case, New Holland, International. But I'm guessing here, I don't follow corporate mergers that close, I have other things more important like you do, such as Living a life........

But the history of IH and Farmal is of particular interest to me as I grew up on the research facility in Hinsdale Ill. back in the day....

Sterling was a division of Freightliner, Volkswagen is now majority stockholder of Navistar International which was truck division.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Where in the world do you guys get Sterling in this ?  Sterling is owned by Daimler Benz. Sterling never had anything to do with International.
Navistar is the same company as International Harvester. They renamed the company after the sale of the ag division. If you bought shares in IH before the sale of AG division  you still had shares after the merger and to this day. Just the name of the company changed. Recently (fall of 2020) Traton, which is owned by Volkswagen is buying Navistar International. So The company that was formed in 1902 will be done soon. 

On 3/29/2021 at 2:25 PM, N S said:

the Ag division is now CaseIH, which I understand is turning into CNHI. Which I understand, the recent purchase of New Holland it now looks like it will be Case, New Holland, International.

Case Corporation and New Holland merged in the late 1990's to form CNHI. This is not a "recent" event.

12 hours ago, FarmallFan said:

Case Corporation and New Holland merged in the late 1990's to form CNHI. This is not a "recent" event.

I am a little fuzzy, but I am remembering Fiat bought both CaseIH and New Holland put them together from Europe no matter what USA management thought. A lot has happened in about 30 years.

6 minutes ago, ray54 said:

I am a little fuzzy, but I am remembering Fiat bought both CaseIH and New Holland put them together from Europe no matter what USA management thought. A lot has happened in about 30 years.

From what I read Fiat bought New Holland back in 1991 and then merged with Case IH in 1999.