Radiator questions

My 856 radiator is leaking badly.  Original radiator I think so I am tempted just to replace it.  Who has the best replacement radiators out there?  

Next question.

Two of my MX Maxxums have cracks in the top of the plastic tank of their radiators.  Are there good replacements for them?  Has anyone removed the plastic garbage and constructed an aluminum tank to replace the plastic?  In my experience the aluminum portion of the radiator never gives trouble unless some foreign object gets rammed into it (like a piece of rebar - but that's another story).

Just now, Gearclash said:

MX Maxxums have cracks in the top of the plastic tank of their radiators.

Read the code of plastic, (Polyvance) has good info. Order some filler rods, grab your soldering iron and fix her up!

• Like 2

I have replaced plastic end tanks on aluminium radiators and intercoolers. Tig weld the new tank to the core end plates.  It’s fine if you have all the kit to do the job. You have to weigh up cost of your time to a replacement rad. 
or as cihtech said get some plastic welding rods and a soldering iron and your good to go.!    I have repaired a couple with epoxy with some success. It does depend on the type of plastic though. 

I haven’t really messed with plastic repair - will that hold up to the heat and pressure in the radiator tank?  Seems these things crack kind of in the middle top from the repeated flexing of the pressure.

IMHO if you have a radiator shop try to get it recorded.  They can usually supply replacement copper tanks.  If no radiator shop is available you might try a place called radiator supply house in sweet home Oregon.  We have bought radiators from them for our silage trucks for about 8 years.   The only one I have had to replace that I got from them is in a Peterbilt 367.  It is huge and I think it flexes a lot.  It is a feed mixer truck with 30k hours.  On its third radiator.  First ones lasted about 14k hours each.  That truck gets run everyday all day.  They are very good quality.  They may have radiators for your tractors if you give them IH part numbers.  They build radiators for about everything imaginable.  I have used ones from A and I for John Deere’s and was less than impressed.  I cannot speak on the northern radiator quality as I have never seen one.  

• Like 1

I've never tried to repair a plastic radiator tank, but I don't think I would attempt it.  Something not under pressure, like the coolant recovery tank, sure.  

In my experience, after buying a new plastic tank and paying a radiator shop to install it.... it wasn't much more for a new radiator.  But that is with an automotive radiator.  They are a dime a dozen.  Get a price from a shop to change the tanks and compare it to a new radiator.  You might be surprised.  

As far as the radiator for the 856...  I don't know.  When I had my shop we had to replace a couple IH radiators and I don't recall where I got them, but I do remember one that I had to repair shortly after.  The side framework that is soldered to the tanks broke free.  That framework is how it is bolted to the front cast, so it was an issue. I soldered it back together and never had anymore issues.  Unfortunately this is likely a deal where the more you pay, the better it will be, but it still won't last as long as the first one did. 

I scuffed up, cleaned 3x, and applied epoxy to the top of a plastic mx110 radiator once.  It was a low use tractor, figured it was worth a shot. I would open hood and check it daily at first. Then weekly. Then at oil changes. We ran it 3-4 years after my “fix”.  Was still holding 100% when we replaced the tractor.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, J-Mech said:

As far as the radiator for the 856...  I don't know.  When I had my shop we had to replace a couple IH radiators and I don't recall where I got them,

I've put in 3 A & I radiators (Clancy) in the past.  2 in IH 66s and one in a Case skidsteer.  One of the 66s is long gone so no idea how it turned out, the other is still around and I don’t recall that it gave trouble.  The skid steer radiator has leaked more than once at the core to upper tank union.  The second time it leaked I re soldered it with vacuum in the radiator and it has held since.  I guess that isn’t a horrible track record so maybe I shouldn’t be so concerned about an after market radiator.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Gearclash said:

I've put in 3 A & I radiators (Clancy) in the past.  2 in IH 66s and one in a Case skidsteer.  One of the 66s is long gone so no idea how it turned out, the other is still around and I don’t recall that it gave trouble.  The skid steer radiator has leaked more than once at the core to upper tank union.  The second time it leaked I re soldered it with vacuum in the radiator and it has held since.  I guess that isn’t a horrible track record so maybe I shouldn’t be so concerned about an after market radiator.  

It’s good to hear you have had good luck with the A and I.  We just didn’t for whatever reason.  

2 hours ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

Contact AP Air.  They offer Clancy or Northern (depending on availability) radiators for your 856.  I have had good luck with both.

It would make since they would sell a quality product .  All the a/c / heating parts I have got from them are good and everything I have gotten from ag parts (same company I think) has been good quality.