Disk wing hinges and hole cutter

Local farmer called and said the hinges on his 30ft disk were shot. So we made some with 5/8"X3-1/2" flat bar and 1-1/4" pins. 

Friend who runs a fab shop in Lexington sent me a link to some hole cutters he is using so I ordered a set. This one is 1-5/6" I used on the hinges. It will cut through the 5/8" flat bar in less than a minute. They are made by Champion, got them from Amazon.

IMG_3179.JPG

IMG_3204.JPG

IMG_3205.JPG

IMG_3194.JPG

• Like 13

496 disk? Those hinge points are good for being worn out. You added enough extra material that the hinge should outlast the disk.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

496 disk? Those hinge points are good for being worn out. You added enough extra material that the hinge should outlast the disk.

Didn't get the model. Its gonna take at least a week to install hinges and repair all the broke place in the frame.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

That hole saw is interesting.  Let us know how the carbide cutters hold up.  I have been using ordinary HSS hole saws from Dewalt or Milwaukee on steel; usually they hold up fairly well but not always.  I have seen carbide saws before and wondered how they held up and if they can be sharpened.  Usually end up tossing HSS saws if they get dull.

• Like 3
33 minutes ago, Gearclash said:

That hole saw is interesting.  Let us know how the carbide cutters hold up.  I have been using ordinary HSS hole saws from Dewalt or Milwaukee on steel; usually they hold up fairly well but not always.  I have seen carbide saws before and wondered how they held up and if they can be sharpened.  Usually end up tossing HSS saws if they get dull.

This is like an inguit? used on a mag drill. I think I have remembered the name of the bits for them

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Finney said:

Local farmer called and said the hinges on his 30ft disk were shot. So we made some with 5/8"X3-1/2" flat bar and 1-1/4" pins. 

Friend who runs a fab shop in Lexington sent me a link to some hole cutters he is using so I ordered a set. This one is 1-5/6" I used on the hinges. It will cut through the 5/8" flat bar in less than a minute. They are made by Champion, got them from Amazon.

IMG_3179.JPG

IMG_3204.JPG

IMG_3205.JPG

IMG_3194.JPG

We use those to drill weld ellets on black iron pipe. They Last forever if you keep them cool 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, bitty said:

This is like an inguit? used on a mag drill. I think I have remembered the name of the bits for them

Annular cutter is what I was trying to remember

• Like 3

My thinking on those hinges is if you weld a tab on one end of pin, and anchor it (bolt) only one end of wing will need fixing, or and weld sleeve between other 2 gand hole tabs.  If they had done it at factory would probably never need attention except for pin.  

3 hours ago, Gearclash said:

Drilled 56 holes with that one, cut as good when I finished as it did when I started. Ran it at 260-270 RPM's and squirted cutting oil on it. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
20 minutes ago, Finney said:

Drilled 56 holes with that one, cut as good when I finished as it did when I started. Ran it at 260-270 RPM's and squirted cutting oil on it. 

Any trouble with chips wanting to make the cutter bind?  Constant problem with the hole saws I use anytime cutting depth approaches 1/4”.  Anything more than that I need to use a vacuum to suck the chips out of the cut.  Or I need to drill a 1/4” chip evacuation hole where the saw kerf will be.

I've used similar hole saws with good success.

Last year I bought a magnetic drill and it uses those annular Cutting bits.

I don’t know how I ever drilled anything before them!

I bought a set of six bits from 9/16” up to 1 1/16” The larger sizes have to be bought separately, I have 1 1/8”,  1 1/4”,  1 3/8” and 1 1/2”. 
 The annular bits make lots of “steel wool“ when drilling. 
 Yesterday I drilled a hole in my 1486 drawbar, I drilled a small hole through it first to use as a guide for when I flip the drawbar over to drill from the other side because my bits only drill 1” deep but the drawbar was 1 1/2”. 

D35D0196-5E3B-42F0-BB97-B038AFC2173A.jpeg

4A618DD7-FA90-4631-AA93-DD5DBAE78926.jpeg

0F01D3C9-2B8B-47CE-BBA9-02F5A87DE754.jpeg

529FD021-AEEE-4082-93B0-CC5C2EFBD3FE.jpeg

540E315F-0DAD-4E8F-A288-FB14F08F281A.jpeg

B875227E-BF56-49D4-8EE1-47AA75EA6AC2.jpeg

92A55A45-5F34-43AE-8405-6F1490A3D1D8.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
16 hours ago, Gearclash said:

Any trouble with chips wanting to make the cutter bind?  Constant problem with the hole saws I use anytime cutting depth approaches 1/4”.  Anything more than that I need to use a vacuum to suck the chips out of the cut.  Or I need to drill a 1/4” chip evacuation hole where the saw kerf will be.

No it went smooth. When using regular hole saws I use air to keep the chips form locking them up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

We have a set of those cutters at work as well. Infact I just ordered another set.  If you can keep them cool and from chattering they last forever. And unlike a holesaw I was taught to put a tad bit more pressure to the carbide cutters to keep them hogging. It seems to keep the chatter down. We have a nice drill press made by clausing but it  still has some to it. I drilled 16 1" holes in stainless steel plate the other day and had no trouble. I use a paint brush to dab gel on and flip the stringy stainless chips away. 

Nice job Finney