I picked up a 986 today.  Its a 1980 Red Power.  The previous owner was the original owner.  All in all, a pretty nice tractor.  I'll use it for planter/side dress/sprayer duty.  I have one question.  The digital dash lights up but only reads all 0's.  Tach, PTO RPM, etc.  Any help/suggestions for what to start looking at would be appreciated.

Also  It is a Red Power version.  I'd like to get a new set of decals for the red power and branding irons.  Any source for them?

986.jpg

cab.jpg

• Like 1

The cluster itself may have issues. It's rare that all the sensors quit at once. The engine speed and pto have one sensor. The mph another and EGT a third one. 

4417.  The previous owner retired about 8 years ago.  He kept this around just to plow snow and such and so it got very little use the last few years.

On 3/25/2021 at 10:31 PM, FarmerFixEmUp said:

The cluster itself may have issues. It's rare that all the sensors quit at once. The engine speed and pto have one sensor. The mph another and EGT a third one. 

When you say 'the cluster has issues,' Does that mean pull the dash and send it to Ag Express for repair?  What is the 'cluster?'

15 minutes ago, Siefring Red Farmer said:

When you say 'the cluster has issues,' Does that mean pull the dash and send it to Ag Express for repair?  What is the 'cluster?'

yes and some call it a cluster others a data center, digital dash

10 hours ago, 88power said:

yes and some call it a cluster others a data center, digital dash

Small update.  I was working on the tractor again tonight and the tach and PTO and MPH all were working.  Except, when I shut the tractor down the digital dash did not turn off completely.  It was on faintly.  I unhooked it and rehooked it up and then it was not working again.  I'm sending it off to Ag Express in the morning.

On 3/25/2021 at 7:51 PM, Siefring Red Farmer said:

The digital dash lights up but only reads all 0's.  Tach, PTO RPM, etc.  Any help/suggestions for what to start looking at would be appreciated.

36 minutes ago, Siefring Red Farmer said:

Small update.  I was working on the tractor again tonight and the tach and PTO and MPH all were working.  Except, when I shut the tractor down the digital dash did not turn off completely.  It was on faintly.  I unhooked it and rehooked it up and then it was not working again.

The data center on my 886 use to do some funny stuff like that too. I pulled it out and blew out the harness and back side of the data center with compressed air, then put dielectric grease on the connections and reinstalled. Knock on wood, that seems to have fixed it. Worked fine ever since.

1 hour ago, Siefring Red Farmer said:

Small update.  I was working on the tractor again tonight and the tach and PTO and MPH all were working.  Except, when I shut the tractor down the digital dash did not turn off completely.  It was on faintly.  I unhooked it and rehooked it up and then it was not working again.  I'm sending it off to Ag Express in the morning.

Sometimes they just need to be changed to a certain function to get them to shut all the way off.  Neighbors worked but would stay on dim u til you pushed 1000 PTO.  If you didn't push 1000 PTO it would run the battery down eventually.

10 hours ago, Siefring Red Farmer said:

look at the key switch I've seen them cause that the terminals get corroded 

• Like 1

Exact symptoms of my 1486 when the unit needed service.   Faintly on, run down the battery.   Ag Express fixed it.

3 hours ago, Jeff-C-IL said:

Exact symptoms of my 1486 when the unit needed service.   Faintly on, run down the battery.   Ag Express fixed it.

THank you for the reply.  That is good to know.  I sent it off to them this morning.

Siefring Red Farmer