International 300 Utility Transmission

My 300 transmission is locking in gear and I can't get it to move without a lot of effort once it's in any gear. I have pulled the shifter which is worn on the end and will need to be welded up, but with the springs and detent balls removed, the rails are not seized as they do move a little. I have a transmission manual on order but it won't be here for a couple of weeks at least. The picture of the gears was taken through the fill plug opening and it does show gear wear on the leading edges.

The question is, should I go ahead and pull the top off of the transmission and look inside, or is there an easy fix that won't require removing the top of the transmission?

Gear shift leaver.jpg

Gear trains.jpg

Shift rails.jpg

I used a long bar and was able to shift the rails in mine last week, oiled the rails and spring assemblies. I found the shift lever itself was not moving in the little tower. Soaked it in penetrant and got it freed up. Until I geet the rest moving I will leave it stiff for now.

On 3/25/2021 at 3:17 PM, snoshoe said:

Does it make any difference to pull ta lever? If it does adjust clutch and ta linkage.

On 3/25/2021 at 5:45 PM, mmi said:

if equiped  adjust ta  and then lock it out to explore deeper

Concur.

• Like 1