Jump to content

PTO plug stripped and Breather questions


Paul 300 U
 Share

Recommended Posts

I'm draining the hydraulic fluids from the 350 as I prepare to get it started following steering issues. 

I've opened and drained the 2 plugs under the tractor. The 3rd plug by the PTO is stripped pretty badly. I'm looking for advice on either how to either proceed with trying to remove that plug or alternatives to getting the fluid out of that section without removing that plug. (The upper plug for checking the fill level came out just fine)

My second question is the breather cap that is above the PTO. It's the same style as on my 300 which was torn up pretty badly when i bought that tractor. The manual lists it as the "refill and breather" cap.  It doesn't seem to twist off and I don't want to pry on it. Is it the correct place to refill and if so,  what's the best way to remove without damaging. 

Thanks Paul 

20210324_171255.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Paul 300 U said:

I've opened and drained the 2 plugs under the tractor. The 3rd plug by the PTO is stripped pretty badly. I'm looking for advice on either how to either proceed with trying to remove that plug or alternatives to getting the fluid out of that section without removing that plug.

Are you talking about the plug you labeled #1 in your picture? 

17 minutes ago, Paul 300 U said:

The manual lists it as the "refill and breather" cap.  It doesn't seem to twist off and I don't want to pry on it. Is it the correct place to refill and if so,  what's the best way to remove without damaging. 

It unscrews.  Use a wrench. 

I would just fill in through the side hole. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, J-Mech said:

Are you talking about the plug you labeled #1 in your picture? 

It unscrews.  Use a wrench. 

I would just fill in through the side hole. 

J Mech. 

Yes the stripped plug is #1 in the picture. It's not completely stripped, i stopped before i did anymore damage. The upper plug came out easy. 

As for the breather cap, I was able to turn the top portion of that breather cap. It just continues to turn but doesn't unscrew. I'm not near the tractor right now but is there bolt head somewhere I'm missing? 

Thanks for the reply. Paul 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Paul 300 U said:

Yes the stripped plug is #1 in the picture. It's not completely stripped, i stopped before i did anymore damage.

Two options:

1.)buy a socket that is meant for that style of plug.  It may be able to get it out because they fit better than the drive of a 3/8" rachet.

2.) Weld a nut to the plug to remove it, then buy a new plug.

 

37 minutes ago, Paul 300 U said:

As for the breather cap, I was able to turn the top portion of that breather cap. It just continues to turn but doesn't unscrew. I'm not near the tractor right now but is there bolt head somewhere I'm missing?

Grab the stem with a small pipe wrench or channel locks.  Personally I would just leave it be and fill via the side hole. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

your talking stripped plug , to me that means stripped threads.  what u have there is rounded off heads. welding a nut on is on fix. those plugs look like they are square for a 3/8 ratchet type deal. replace those plugs so you can use an open end wrench on them. u need to use the proper tool for the job. breather can be removed with a 6" pipe wrench.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/24/2021 at 7:43 PM, J-Mech said:

Two options:

1.)buy a socket that is meant for that style of plug.  It may be able to get it out because they fit better than the drive of a 3/8" rachet.

2.) Weld a nut to the plug to remove it, then buy a new plug.

 

Grab the stem with a small pipe wrench or channel locks.  Personally I would just leave it be and fill via the side hole. 

Jmech thank you for these suggestions. I don't weld so I weld try and find the correct wrench. 

Filling via the side hole makes sense. If I have no luck with the removing the drain plug I might try removing as much of the old oil as possible (siphon ???) then refilling. 

Thanks snoshoe and rustred. I appreciate the help!  Paul 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Get the correct tool as stated. Ifthats not an option, When you don’t weld....but you can run a grinder or a file.... clean up the rounded off edges in the plug, then start grinding and filing on something that you can Form to fit Snug n that hole when driven in.  An old punch or chisel perhaps. Wear safety glasses. Pound it in. Put vise grips or a pipe wrench on it. 

Grade eight bolt.

Over sized hex or Allen drive bit. 

Big Allen wrench. 

I am all for having the correct tool, but sometimes depending on where you live and what your time frame needs to be, you have to come up with other solutions

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

i think years ago there must of been a torque chart that listed them plugs at 300 ft. lbs.   I get some in the shop that i think they must of had a 10 foot piece of pipe yo tighten them up. have the right square drive sockets but still have had to weld nuts on even a few ive had to drill out

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, hippy5488 said:

i think years ago there must of been a torque chart that listed them plugs at 300 ft. lbs.   I get some in the shop that i think they must of had a 10 foot piece of pipe yo tighten them up. have the right square drive sockets but still have had to weld nuts on even a few ive had to drill out

So true.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Come-on man ,  Torque for pipe thread plugs!!!! maybe for a moron put alittle sealer on the threads screw'em in and maybe another turn or two and call it a day 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...