1086 hourmeter won’t shut off.

Hey everybody first post here,  my uncle purchased a 1086 last fall that is in mint shape with only about 4500 original hours, this spring he went to fire it up and noticed it had a couple hundred more hours than when he parked it, battery’s were also dead,  he charged the battery’s and before he started it noticed the hourmeter is constantly running, key on or off.  It only stops if you disconnect the battery’s,   Where does the hourmeter get its power from?  Is it the key switch?  Or an oil pressure switch?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.   Thank you. 

E787F130-A3F5-4056-BB2B-B6C50FE5EBBF.jpeg

• Like 1

Sitting in seat........right rear lower corner of engine block under oil filters is a oil pressure switch that powers instrument cluster. I would venture a guess that its stuck "closed" 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Chillmer said:

Hey everybody first post here,  my uncle purchased a 1086 last fall that is in mint shape with only about 4500 original hours, this spring he went to fire it up and noticed it had a couple hundred more hours than when he parked it, battery’s were also dead,  he charged the battery’s and before he started it noticed the hourmeter is constantly running, key on or off.  It only stops if you disconnect the battery’s,   Where does the hourmeter get its power from?  Is it the key switch?  Or an oil pressure switch?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.   Thank you. 

E787F130-A3F5-4056-BB2B-B6C50FE5EBBF.jpeg

The data center tach gets power from the key switch but it has to have pulses from the flywheel rpm sender to actually make it work

3 minutes ago, CIHTECH said:

Sitting in seat........right rear lower corner of engine block under oil filters is a oil pressure switch that powers instrument cluster. I would venture a guess that its stuck "closed" 

they must have changed them in the 80 yr models then that not how mine works 

FWIW, I think you are both right.  Need to know which data center he has, or a serial number. 

I thought they both had to have power from the oil pressure switch to avoid being able to shut off the key to avoid gaining hours. 

11 minutes ago, CIHTECH said:

Follow link and go under 86 series tractors to page #2

https://cngco.com/wiring_diagrams.html

I should state that this applies to the data center that has a knob on it to select what your monitoring. 

Ok so basically like the combines used too

2 hours ago, J-Mech said:

FWIW, I think you are both right.  Need to know which data center he has, or a serial number. 

I thought they both had to have power from the oil pressure switch to avoid being able to shut off the key to avoid gaining hours. 

I have a 14 with digital push button cluster, the hour meter runs whenever key is on, engine doesn't need to be running. I don't know if that's the way it's supposed to work or not.

1 minute ago, TB5288 said:

I have a 14 with digital push button cluster, the hour meter runs whenever key is on, engine doesn't need to be running. I don't know if that's the way it's supposed to work or not.

Yes, I can run tractor without accumulating hours. But it gets to hot in cab to do that and the radio doesn't work either!

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Chillmer said:

Here is a picture of the instrument cluster with hour meter if that helps. 

4B3BF6EC-60FD-4F56-935B-434968EB907C.jpeg

Push button style.

Look for the oil pressure switch as suggested earlier. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, J-Mech said:

Push button style.

Don't think there will be one if the tractor is stock. But have been wrong before.

36 minutes ago, J-Mech said:

Push button style.

So tell me. Does the oil pressure switch control the power just to the hour meter? Mine acts weird, the hour meter runs as soon as the switch is turned on and another strange thing is with the engine at low idle the hour meter goes crazy, counts very fast. If you rev the tractor up probably above 1200 RPMs it works as normal. Normal meaning it counts correctly but it's still always counts with the key switch on. I've never taken the time to look into it.

1 hour ago, TB5288 said:

So tell me. Does the oil pressure switch control the power just to the hour meter? Mine acts weird, the hour meter runs as soon as the switch is turned on and another strange thing is with the engine at low idle the hour meter goes crazy, counts very fast. If you rev the tractor up probably above 1200 RPMs it works as normal. Normal meaning it counts correctly but it's still always counts with the key switch on. I've never taken the time to look into it.

There was a switch on some 86 tractors and it only controlled the digital data center.  Yours may not have that switch, or it may have been removed.  I do not recall what changed and when.  Remember, originally the 86 series came with the round mechanical tach that was used on the 66 series, then switched to the turn dial digital style and later switched to push button.  

As far as the hour meter working erratically, it is likely that the tach has internal issues.  I can't think of anything else that would cause it.  I've seen it before.  I replaced or had it rebuilt/repaired. 

1 hour ago, 1480x3 said:

Don't think there will be one if the tractor is stock. But have been wrong before.

See above response. 

8 hours ago, J-Mech said:

There was a switch on some 86 tractors and it only controlled the digital data center.  Yours may not have that switch, or it may have been removed.  I do not recall what changed and when.  Remember, originally the 86 series came with the round mechanical tach that was used on the 66 series, then switched to the turn dial digital style and later switched to push button.  

As far as the hour meter working erratically, it is likely that the tach has internal issues.  I can't think of anything else that would cause it.  I've seen it before.  I replaced or had it rebuilt/repaired. 

Yes, the turn dials have the oil pressure switch, the touch tachs use the key switch. therefore if the tractor in the pictures is stock it will not have an oil pressure switch. Have all three tachometers on a 186, 1086, and 1486. One of each. My touch one has had the hour meter do exactly this. Never had any thing like this happen to the dial one but did have to change a leaking pressure switch once.  I just assumed they changed the method of getting power to the digital tachs when the tachs went from dial to touch. Think the mechanical and dial may have been available at the same time for a little bit with the dial digital being optional.

9 minutes ago, Chillmer said:

So The culprit is most likely a faulty key switch on this tractor then?

Seems to be inconsistency in our responses.  So, this is what I suggest: 

Make sure it doesn't have an oil switch.  It will take you approximately 20 seconds to verify this if you are slow.  Next, using either a test light or a DVOM, take the lower access panel off and test to see if the cab power relay is staying energized.  If it is, check for power on the signal wire from the key. Just keep working your way through the system until you find the component that is staying energized.  Once you find it replace it.  You may even find a short in the system during your tests. This is what technicians refer to as "diagnosis". 

Or, you can just start replacing random parts like the key switch, cab power relay, and other components until it is fixed.  

5 minutes ago, Chillmer said:

So The culprit is most likely a faulty key switch on this tractor then?

I would suspect, as to the post about the meter going "fast" the data center probly needs sent in

1 minute ago, J-Mech said:

Seems to be inconsistency in our responses.  So, where is what I suggest.  Make sure it doesn't have an oil switch.  It will take you approximately 20 seconds to verify this if you are slow.  Next, take the lower access panel off and test to see if the cab power relay is staying energized.  If it is, check for power on the signal wire from the key.  This is what technicians refer to as "diagnosis".  Just keep working your way through the system until you find the component that is staying energized.  Once you find it replace it.  You may even find a short in the system during your tests. 

Or, you can just start replacing random parts like the key switch, cab power relay, and other components until it is fixed.  

X2

17 minutes ago, J-Mech said:

Seems to be inconsistency in our responses.  So, this is what I suggest: 

Make sure it doesn't have an oil switch.  It will take you approximately 20 seconds to verify this if you are slow.  Next, using either a test light or a DVOM, take the lower access panel off and test to see if the cab power relay is staying energized.  If it is, check for power on the signal wire from the key. Just keep working your way through the system until you find the component that is staying energized.  Once you find it replace it.  You may even find a short in the system during your tests. This is what technicians refer to as "diagnosis". 

I’ll start there, thank you for the reply’s and pointing me in the right direction, if you don’t have a service manual it’s nice having a general idea where to start.  FYI I’m a licensed Heavy duty mechanic and worked at a CaseIH dealer for 5 years, just never worked older IH equipment much because they seam to last.  

• Confused 1

Back years ago when those tractors were fairly new there was an upgraded Data center available I believe the originals were manufactured by Motorola they were the red colored readout Data tach  and had issues the replacements were dickey john tachs and they had the yellow readout numbers

1 minute ago, ksfarmdude said:

Back years ago when those tractors were fairly new there was an upgraded Data center available I believe they were manufactured by Motorola they were the red colored readout Data tach  and had issues the replacements were dickey john tachs and they had the yellow readout numbers

I've never heard that.  Not saying it is or is not true.  Never seen a yellow number tach.