Now it’s public knowledge , lookout Sandhiller

Back in November a grey wolf was shot in Bassett Nebraska by a rancher checking his livestock.   DNA testing proves it came from Minn not Yellowstone as presumed. 

Not too far from Sandhiller .  

• Like 1

Imagine that, those darn animals don’t understand that they are not supposed to cross imaginary lines.

They are everywhere up here in MN.  Not unusual at all to see tracks in the woods.  I know of quite a few that have been trapped that were chasing livestock.  Wish they would move into the Minneapolis/St Paul metro and chase some bikers and runners around and see if they get any response from the DNR.

• Like 8
  • Haha 4
1 minute ago, farmall666 said:

THANK YOU SANDHILLER...SHOOT MORE..

He probably is.  
It’s Been hush hush until now . 
Nebraska politics on these matters is denial denial denial . It took twenty years for them to admit to having a breading population of mountain lions. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, lorenzo said:

He probably is.  
It’s Been hush hush until now . 
Nebraska politics on these matters is denial denial denial . It took twenty years for them to admit to having a breading population of mountain lions. 

Same story everywhere.  Same thing happened here with the mountain lions/cougars.  People would have them on game cameras and the DNR still denied they existed here.  Then 1 got hit by a car in the metro area (I-494 I think) and then suddenly the DNR HAD to admit that there is a population here.

Hopefully a quick story.  A couple of years ago I was in the woods and a big cat started screaming.  Anyone that has heard one knows what I'm talking about. I recorded the sound, but never saw the cat.  I figured I was about 75 to 100 yards away.  Called the DNR the next day and they asked me to go back out and see if I could find anything killed in that area.  So I loaded up a 12 ga (didn't want to rely on a rifle for close in protection)  and headed out that next night.  About 65 yards from where I was standing the trail was painted red with blood and hair everywhere.  Apparently I had almost wandered into a cat that killed had just killed a deer.  Reported back to the DNR on the findings and they didn't care, nor would they issue a warning for livestock owners in the area.  I suspect they didn't want to take on any liability for any missing cattle.

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, Mudfly said:

Same story everywhere.  Same thing happened here with the mountain lions/cougars.  People would have them on game cameras and the DNR still denied they existed here.  Then 1 got hit by a car in the metro area (I-494 I think) and then suddenly the DNR HAD to admit that there is a population here.

Hopefully a quick story.  A couple of years ago I was in the woods and a big cat started screaming.  Anyone that has heard one knows what I'm talking about. I recorded the sound, but never saw the cat.  I figured I was about 75 to 100 yards away.  Called the DNR the next day and they asked me to go back out and see if I could find anything killed in that area.  So I loaded up a 12 ga (didn't want to rely on a rifle for close in protection)  and headed out that next night.  About 65 yards from where I was standing the trail was painted red with blood and hair everywhere.  Apparently I had almost wandered into a cat that killed had just killed a deer.  Reported back to the DNR on the findings and they didn't care, nor would they issue a warning for livestock owners in the area.  I suspect they didn't want to take on any liability for any missing cattle.

They will never take liability. I think the state should be responsible for fixing your vehicle after a deer collision if I am responsible for shooting one out of season. They belong to the state when it’s convenient for them. I’d say ranchers just need to practice the three S’s when dealing with this particular threat. 

• Like 13
2 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

They will never take liability. I think the state should be responsible for fixing your vehicle after a deer collision if I am responsible for shooting one out of season. They belong to the state when it’s convenient for them. I’d say ranchers just need to practice the three S’s when dealing with this particular threat. 

Just remember if it’s got a collar on, toss that thing on a truck or train leaving the area!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
4 minutes ago, Lazy WP said:

Just remember if it’s got a collar on, toss that thing on a truck or train leaving the area!!

River 😊

I heard of a guy around here that had that problem when the DNR denied bobcats were around. Story went that he shot one near his house harassing his livestock and tossed it in a brush pile. Within a few days the DNR showed up asking a bunch of questions. Wanted to look around. They kept asking about the smoldering brush pile. Guy said the darn thing must have crawled in there before I lit the fire and smoke got him.... It had a collar or chip in it for sure. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
19 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

River 😊

I heard of a guy around here that had that problem when the DNR denied bobcats were around. Story went that he shot one near his house harassing his livestock and tossed it in a brush pile. Within a few days the DNR showed up asking a bunch of questions. Wanted to look around. They kept asking about the smoldering brush pile. Guy said the darn thing must have crawled in there before I lit the fire and smoke got him.... It had a collar or chip in it for sure. 

Simple response.... no you can not look around.  The DNR said there weren’t any bobcats around. How could there be a dead one on my property?

and then you would be served with a search warrant.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

In Illinois DNR can go anywhere without a warrant more power than police.

25 minutes ago, Mudfly said:

Simple response.... no you can not look around.  The DNR said there weren’t any bobcats around. How could there be a dead one on my property?

and then you would be served with a search warrant.

• Sad 1
1 minute ago, jass1660 said:

In Illinois DNR can go anywhere without a warrant more power than police.

Same here.  SUPPOSED to have probable cause, but we know how that goes.  You can ask them to leave your property, but I don't believe they absolutely have to.

• Sad 1

we are starting  to see big cats in Maine , Had one cross in front of me, stopped and took pictures of the tracks in the snow with a 25foot  tape that fit in the track

• Like 2

Hunter Nation sued to open wolf hunt in Wisconsin and won...DNR targeted 119 for hunt.

In 3 days hunt was closed with at least 216 were killed of 1,100 wolves claimed in state.

• Like 5
7 hours ago, lorenzo said:

It took twenty years for them to admit to having a breading population of mountain lions. 

Missouri now says our mountain lions are from Nebraska. We don't have any. You guys put license plates on yours or is Missouri in denial ?

• Haha 2

Knew a guy in the 80’s that had a hound and he would chain it out on the ice on a lake in the full moon, it would howl and bring them in

I can imagine their talk in the cab going home, Bob this using me as bait sh!t is getting old

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
3 hours ago, junkandcattle said:

Missouri now says our mountain lions are from Nebraska. We don't have any. You guys put license plates on yours or is Missouri in denial ?

we have had them for years here, too much proof on game cams now to be in denial, truth is in cahootz with ins companies to reduce deer populations for costs of damages - the big cats planted here for a reason 

bears and elk same - they just want to make more $$ by offering things the BIG GAME states can. HUGE $$ in all of it. 

• Like 2

3 S

Why the rancher called the state is puzzling.  Here (inland) they are becoming the problem they we eradicated for again.

They are NOT dogs.  They are 200# killer.  I know men who have seen cows tore open alive and the wulf took the inutero calf.  They are smart, sneaky, brave, and have no competition.  

And yes EVERY capital city in the US that has placated this bull needs half a dozen released in the main most central park.  Let them smell the blood and see the carnage the rural communities are suffering.  Can you imagine.......

• Like 5

Well, "IF" all those big tracks out here are from canis lupus, they are crossbreeds / mixed bloods. 

DNR doesn't want to admit to them or want them mixing their DNA with the precious purebreds that howl in their wet dreams. 

If a wolf is seen in the area and then not seen again. It just means he must have quit the country. 

They are travelin' beasts you know. 

There is a reason they were eradicated from Nebraska in the early 1900's. 

Nuthin' to see here, keep movin'.🤠

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

They’re in the area here. Not at the farm usually but they’re around the tree line just north of here. More further east where we log. I don’t shoot or hunt them as for now they don’t bother anything around here. Hudson Bay east of here had problems with them taking cattle though. They had a open season on them for a while I think. Couple guys trap them around here. They usually only get a couple every winter though. 

Not sure if I’ve  told this story here before but I’ll say it again anyways. We were logging in a fire salvage about 20 years ago. Mom and I were back in the bush with the chainsaws and dad was on the skidder.  Came back over to check on mom and she said I just saw the strangest thing. A wolf had come running through a hundred yards or so away chasing a deer down. About 10 minutes or so later here come the deer again only closer this time. Mom shouted at me to look and sure enough here came the big black wolf again only a little closer to the deer. Another 10 minutes or so went by and here comes the deer maybe 20 feet or so away from us with the wolf maybe 50 feet behind it. I took after the wolf with the chainsaw and yelled at it. It stoped and looked at me for a couple seconds and then barreled off after the deer again. Neither were seen that day again. Pretty sure it had a good supper that night.  Something I’ll never forget anyways. 

• Sad 1
11 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

They will never take liability. I think the state should be responsible for fixing your vehicle after a deer collision if I am responsible for shooting one out of season. They belong to the state when it’s convenient for them.

Same with stocking elk in Missouri.

5 hours ago, junkandcattle said:

Friend of mine in S.W. Iowa has seen one in his yard (at the edge of town) multiple times, but Iowa DNR just accused him of lying.  And my cousin in N.W. Missouri has seen a couple of big cats.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Rainman said:

Hunter Nation sued to open wolf hunt in Wisconsin and won...DNR targeted 119 for hunt.

In 3 days hunt was closed with at least 216 were killed of 1,100 wolves claimed in state.

RAINMAN WHAT PART OF WISC YOU LIVE...

7 hours ago, farmall666 said:

RAINMAN WHAT PART OF WISC YOU LIVE...

Dane county, too close to  the capital city....