IH 56 plates for popcorn

2 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

how in the world do you guys keep the racoons out of your sweetcorn? 

Electric fence, 2 strands. And maybe an itchy trigger finger.....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

I actually have more trouble with my damn dog.  The dog will go out an rip down a stalk a day and eat it.  I would shoot the dog over this but I am out voted.  Stupid stray dog that wondered in anyway. Absolutely worthless animal.  Runs and hides when it sees a gun. (The loses its mind when you shoot it.) Won't bark at or chase ANY animal away.  Scared of EVERYTHING and anything noisy.  

Anyway.... I live up on a small hill with no woods around and nowhere for coons to live.  Oh, they wonder in from time to time, but that itchy trigger finger @Sledgehammer mentioned usually gets them. 

17 minutes ago, J-Mech said:

I actually have more trouble with my damn dog.  The dog will go out an rip down a stalk a day and eat it.  I would shoot the dog over this but I am out voted.  Stupid stray dog that wondered in anyway. Absolutely worthless animal.  Runs and hides when it sees a gun. (The loses its mind when you shoot it.) Won't bark at or chase ANY animal away.  Scared of EVERYTHING and anything noisy.  

Anyway.... I live up on a small hill with no woods around and nowhere for coons to live.  Oh, they wonder in from time to time, but that itchy trigger finger @Sledgehammer mentioned usually gets them. 

They will find you no matter where the sweet corn is. Unless it is in your house, they will find it. ?

• Like 1

We keep our dog out of the sweetcorn with one of those invisible fence units that we have had since she was a puppy.  For racoons we have live traps that we bait with sardines and the next morning they get 1200 foot / second case of lead poisoning.  We usually start setting the traps early - mid march when the weather starts warming up enough for them to come out of hibernation so that we only have to deal with 3-4 get rid of them before the little ones become a problem.  We will keep baiting the traps about 1-2 time per week through the summer to get rid of the ones that live on the neighbors properties that decide to try to move to our property.  Once the sweetcorn starts tasseling we will move the traps to the corn patch and try to set 1 on each side so  they will have to pass a trap to get into the patch. Sardines I think are the key because they are smelly enough to get the coons attention when the sweet corn is ready.  I found this last year I had more trouble with squirrels than I did with coons at my house because the squirrels were pulling the cobs up into the tree to feed on.  Also another thing I did is I put the waste that I didn't sell in a pile a little ways away from the corn patch in-between the patch and the nearest forest so that the coons would get into that before the good corn left in the patch.

On 3/26/2021 at 4:35 PM, searcyfarms said:

Take an empty 30-55 gal metal barrel, cut out one end, (or some similar container), lay it on its side in the middle of the patch.   Put an old fashioned boombox in it tuned to a heavy metal station.   Loud.    Never a coon to be seen.  The scream... (er singing) and the talking scare them right off.   Of course, if you have neighbors, you may want to arrange an exchange of midnight quiet for sweet corn first.....