Just thought I'd share this.  Found it today while cleaning.  My great grandmother was a quilter.  Made all kinds of quilts, blankets, throws and knit and crochet blankets.  We always had a quilt on our bed that grandma made.  When I was young, and my parents were still adding to our family, my next youngest brother and I began sharing a room, which got more crowded as they kept adding kids, lol.  Anyway, grandma made us matching quilts and curtains for the room.  When another brother moved in, she made another quilt that was farm themed and similar, but different from the first two.  

Dad's family farmed with IH.  Mom's dad with Ford.  When I asked what I wanted on my blankets for tractors I wanted both.  I picked two 1/64th scale toys for grandma to use as a pattern.  A 1086 and a TW-20.  I think she did and awesome job on it, but apparently others did two, as she entered them in a contest that fall during our hometown "Fall Follies" event and won.  I'm so glad I still have it.  Grandma was no longer able to quilt by the time my kids were born and she became a great great grandmother.  I so wanted a baby blanket quilt for my kids from her.  While sharing this with mom, she said, "Well, I was going to surprise you with this, but I guess I'll tell you now.  When grandma knew she wouldn't be able to quilt much longer, she made a bunch of quilts for me to give to you guys as I saw fit.  I have one for you she made." So, my babies slept under a blanket she made for them years before they were born.  My kids barely remember "great grand nanna", but she held them both before her mind left her.  

Evelyn Baker, 1921-2015

20210321_221826.thumb.jpg.189a0708cbf4cd614d99be0e5da21a4f.jpg

20210321_221839.thumb.jpg.bbfa70288c368412a517d3c57dd1ca4d.jpg

20210321_221849.thumb.jpg.1fbed5d0d229335b294bcee2d9245d6e.jpg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

Those are priceless keepsakes.  Cherish them as a reminder of grandma.  My wife cherishes the ones made by her grandmother.

• Like 2

Very nice, thank you for sharing. 

• Like 2

Thats really neat. Your lucky to have memories of her. My last grandparent died when I was 5. Even pictures of him dont ring a bell anymore. I lived in the house he lived in for 5 years. Still farm the ground he farmed. 

He owned 220 acres in 1933. Good ground-85csr. 

80 acres of it my great-great grandpa purchased it from the government in 1870

• Like 1
8 hours ago, J-Mech said:

Just thought I'd share this.  Found it today while cleaning.  My great grandmother was a quilter.  Made all kinds of quilts, blankets, throws and knit and crochet blankets.  We always had a quilt on our bed that grandma made.  When I was young, and my parents were still adding to our family, my next youngest brother and I began sharing a room, which got more crowded as they kept adding kids, lol.  Anyway, grandma made us matching quilts and curtains for the room.  When another brother moved in, she made another quilt that was farm themed and similar, but different from the first two.  

Dad's family farmed with IH.  Mom's dad with Ford.  When I asked what I wanted on my blankets for tractors I wanted both.  I picked two 1/64th scale toys for grandma to use as a pattern.  A 1086 and a TW-20.  I think she did and awesome job on it, but apparently others did two, as she entered them in a contest that fall during our hometown "Fall Follies" event and won.  I'm so glad I still have it.  Grandma was no longer able to quilt by the time my kids were born and she became a great great grandmother.  I so wanted a baby blanket quilt for my kids from her.  While sharing this with mom, she said, "Well, I was going to surprise you with this, but I guess I'll tell you now.  When grandma knew she wouldn't be able to quilt much longer, she made a bunch of quilts for me to give to you guys as I saw fit.  I have one for you she made." So, my babies slept under a blanket she made for them years before they were born.  My kids barely remember "great grand nanna", but she held them both before her mind left her.  

Evelyn Baker, 1921-2015

You have something very special! My wife quilts and I have seen the time and effort that goes into making them. 

• Like 1

My great grandmother was an avid quilter she made quilts for all of us,plus some extras. They were all lost in a fire nearly 30 years ago. I am glad that you still have yours.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

My mom's great aunt was a quilter. As well as my wife's grandmother and mother. When I was a kid mom worked with my aunt to make several quilts for my sister and I. Thinkmine at least is still around. Wifes mom and grandmother made quilts for both my kids baby beds. We still have them. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, J-Mech said:

Evelyn Baker, 1921-2015

Got several my grandma made as well. She got the same way. By the time my kids were born she couldn't do it anymore. On a side note a gal my wife knows called a while back. They were cleaning out her mother in laws house after she passed away. She had been a school teacher when she was younger and had a quilt every year with all her students names on them. She had one with my father in law and ask if we would like it. After she got it turned out their were several of my wife's family members in that class. Was pretty neat to see all the names on it as many of those have past on now. 

• Like 2

That’s an awesome story J-mech. My grandma was the same way when we were young. It took her a couple years to do it cause she had so many but she made all her grandkids a blanket and gave them to us on Christmas. Years later she was cutting up square patches out of our worn out jeans and making blankets out of those. I got my hands on several of them. Thanks for bringing back the memories of a great woman. 

• Like 1

Awesome!  That is remarkable detail and proportion given the medium.  At first glance, I immediately knew the series of each brand.  A true treasure for you and the family, I'm sure.

• Like 1

My Mothers Mother Grandma, lived for years on revenue she got from her quilts.  I never remember her giving my family any of them because they all got sold.  My mother quilted until eyesight became to bad to operate a sewing machine. She gave all of her kids, there were 8 of us, a quilt for a wedding gift and each grand kid got a baby quilt.  She was a member of her church sewing circle and all the widowed ladies would get together and make quilted throws for the old folks in nursing homes.  Probably one of the saddest days of my life was when she had to leave her home and surroundings for a nursing home due to many issues she had after her late 80's.

Brings back many bitter sweet memories!!

• Like 1