Jump to content

Aftermarket Truck Beds


Cdfarabaugh

Recommended Posts

My 07 3/4 ton Chevy truck bed has pretty much reached the point of getting fixed or replacing it.  Was considering dumping this truck but holy crap, new  and used truck prices are just crazy.  Even if I got my body guy to do a patch job to make it look decent, I just cant pencil out a replacement.  So have 3 options

1) get another bed, but finding a decent one the same color is hard, and I'll bet it will be about a grand to paint it

2) fix this bed, which will involve painting and a lot of dabbing

3) buy an aftermarket bed.  Dont want a straight flatbed, want something with sides and a gate.  Curious to hear experiences and prices on these beds.  

The truck  has another 4-5 years of life left in it hopefully at only 89,000 miles.  Dont run it a lot but gotta have it.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can't remember where I seen the ad but it was for good used rust free pickup truck beds. Will see if I can find it for you. You would still have to paint it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Wes806 said:

Can't remember where I seen the ad but it was for good used rust free pickup truck beds. Will see if I can find it for you. You would still have to paint it. 

Ones I've seen around here they want about a grand for one, starts getting pretty salty adding paint to the mix 

27 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

Buy a stake body and build sides and tail gate.................I would never go back to a stock box ever.  

Where/what manufacturer do you usually source one from?  Was hoping to keep the budget for this around 2k or less.  Would like to get one with a bumper built in too, mine is a mangled up mess.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Cdfarabaugh said:

Ones I've seen around here they want about a grand for one, starts getting pretty salty adding paint to the mix 

Where/what manufacturer do you usually source one from?  Was hoping to keep the budget for this around 2k or less.  Would like to get one with a bumper built in too, mine is a mangled up mess.

I got a Cadet on one of mine..................Have one that was taken off a Ford for a masonary bed on the other.  

Cadet's are pretty cheap, I was looking a stripped one from Martins, they were reasonable.  Ended up selling the truck so I never bought one.  My next one will have a bale bed on it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You can find beds on Car-Part.com by just entering your truck info and some should pop up.  Here in AZ you can find beds with no rust.  I think Nevada, New Mexico, Texas and Oklahoma have rust free beds.  Good luck

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is this what you are talking about?  As painful as it may be it can't hurt to surf Facebook and Craigslist.  I picked up a pretty decent 12ft one for my 96 3500 cab and chassis for $500 a year ago.  

Screenshot_20210321-184055.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When I need to put a bed on my Dodge, it’s going to be a “skirted” flat be something like what is pictured above, but with toolboxes under the bed and will have some sort of sides. I have owned Temco, Welker, and some off brand. You can find them all over our area. 
I wish I would have had Jeff put a Deweze on but it was kinda new when we were there. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

That is what the Cadet on my K-20 cost when I bought the truck, they just put it on before I bought it.

You got a good deal I think.  The price in my screenshot is cash and carry without wiring lights etc.  It just has the empty light sockets.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On the aluminum side eby is king here.  They seem to be tough and hold up well along with tremendous resale value.  Martin is also a strong contendor.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, hobbyfarm said:

On the aluminum side eby is king here.  They seem to be tough and hold up well along with tremendous resale value.  Martin is also a strong contendor.

Martin's is only a half hour from me, might give them a call to get an idea, looks like theyll customize it. 

Buddy back in high school had an old Dodge with a steel flatbed, and 2 4' long toolboxes down each side on the top of the bed.  Sort of liked that setup.   

  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Check with businesses that install flat beds. Many companies bring in new trucks and the installer takes the new bed off to put on an flatbed or utility body and such. I have seen new beds sitting in their yards. Doesn’t make sense not to buy just a cab and chassis. Maybe the cab and chassis only comes in certain wheel base lengths and they buy the regular truck to get a different wheel base.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I got two underbelly tool boxes on the one on the Cadet...........Really like them, and would have 2 more behind the rear wheels if the frames weren't so prone to rusting back there on the 67-72 4x4's, I decided against it so I could keep the crap blown off the spring hangers.  They take up no bed space, are easy to get into without climbing and you can put alot of crap in one with drawers.  I got a small tool box with drawers in one, and the other holds recievers, chains, pipes, binders, ect.......

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don’t know what your budget is but Highway Products makes about the finest truck bodies i have ever seen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I build 1 or 2 a year, fully skirted with tool boxes on each corner run about 4,500. I got one to build now with a fuel tank on the front passenger side and boxes on the rest of the corners if I ever get caught up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Cdfarabaugh said:

My 07 3/4 ton Chevy truck bed has pretty much reached the point of getting fixed or replacing it.  Was considering dumping this truck but holy crap, new  and used truck prices are just crazy.  Even if I got my body guy to do a patch job to make it look decent, I just cant pencil out a replacement.  So have 3 options

1) get another bed, but finding a decent one the same color is hard, and I'll bet it will be about a grand to paint it

2) fix this bed, which will involve painting and a lot of dabbing

3) buy an aftermarket bed.  Dont want a straight flatbed, want something with sides and a gate.  Curious to hear experiences and prices on these beds.  

The truck  has another 4-5 years of life left in it hopefully at only 89,000 miles.  Dont run it a lot but gotta have it.  

Yes, they sell take off beds up this way for less than a grand.

They have so many, you can almost pick your own color.

Check around your area with a salvage yard or look on any of the iron auction sites.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Eby is very strong here.  We have had a few of their aluminum flatbeds and a gooseneck trailer...currently have a flatbed trailer on order with them.

FYI - Demand is crazy high right now.  Anything custom-built will likely be months out.  We ordered our Eby trailer (slightly custom) in early December and we are looking at delivery in mid-April.

On the steel side, I have been impressed with what I've seen with Knapheide steel beds.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We have 2 F250's at work with Knapheide flat/stake bodies on them. Both ordered with tool boxes on the bottom. One has a dump insert, but there is still room on the sides for backpack blowers, rakes, etc. The landscapers love them because they don't have to climb up in the truck to get to stuff. They call them gooseneck bodies. https://www.knapheide.com/gooseneck-bodies/  They are kind of funny looking on a non dually truck, but the practicality makes it worth it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've had an aluminum flatbed  and hated it.  It was too light, made ride and traction worse when empty.  Loading height is as high as the top of the wheel well in a regular box.  Gooseneck trailers had to be jacked up much higher through the trap door to unhook.  

If I ever want to replace a regular pickup box I will put a sheet of tread plate steel or aluminum with some cross pieces right on the pickup frame and use some toolboxes for sides.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Are you up for a road trip. I have one I’d sell that my brother in law made 25 years ago. I have no use for it and planned on scrapping the pickup just to get it out of my garage. It’s a heavy built long bed with gooseneck ball in a hole so you have a flat bed surface. Not sure if I’d trust it all these years later but the headache rack was a built it air tank.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I always wanted to rent one of those Home depot trucks , I figured they might not be real astute and thought I could swap that one with a rusty take off and no one would be the wiser for a while. Those are nice looking aluminum beds. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

I always wanted to rent one of those Home depot trucks , I figured they might not be real astute and thought I could swap that one with a rusty take off and no one would be the wiser for a while. Those are nice looking aluminum beds. 

Eby builds many of those.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Diesel Doctor said:

Yes, they sell take off beds up this way for less than a grand.

They have so many, you can almost pick your own color.

Check around your area with a salvage yard or look on any of the iron auction sites.

You fellows probably dont use much road salt up that way I'll guess.  Beds are a hot commodity here cause after 10 years or as little as 6-7, you need a new truck bed, or repairs made.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...