I h engine air compressor

I purchased a le Roy air compressor , it looks like it has a I h 153 engine . It has a 153 on the tank on air compressor . Found it had bent push tubes , I pulled the head and redid it , , set the valves to 017 . One of the guys that works for me , put head on one day , and Torqued cylinder head I did get to match head gasket up.

started engine running nice had a points issue not a big deal , I installed a mechanic temp gauge it went up to 205 fast , lower hose on radiator cold upper hot , like no Circulation, pulled thermostat no change belts tight etc , seems like air pocket in coolant system .??

any help ?  I think it’s a 153  don’t know about what a 153 c is vs 153 

92733CED-B9C6-463A-9454-A4F0DF293D1A.png

6CA66080-F0DC-4A15-A390-03EDBBB9C5AD.png

So, I'm confused.

You don't know if it is a 153 for sure or not, but you got the head rebuilt and bought a new head gasket and you matched the head gasket to the old one?  If they matched I'd say you have the right one.

I am not aware of any different head gaskets for a 153, but that engine was used in lots of different applications, some of which I would not have ever seen one in before, such as this compressor, so it is within the realm of possibility.   

The "C" in front of the engine number is IH's designation for a gasoline engine.  Diesel was D. So it is a C-153.  Gasoline, 153 cubic inch motor.  The block is stamped on a flat spot near the head with the engine size.  I don't remember exactly where on a 153, but it's easy to find.  Flat machined surface with numbers stamped. Seems like it's on the right hand side on that engine. 

Where did you install a gauge? 

I agree , I got parts for a 153 says 153 joy on tag .,I have to look at the block Monday , 

joy air compressor with a I h engine .. 

I was also using a temp gun , lower hose was cold , top ramped up on back of head 210 , no thermostat in it .

the one they sent me is larger in diameter .

it seems like block had air pocket ..in coolant system .

3 hours ago, sspdiesel said:

I agree , I got parts for a 153 says 153 joy on tag .,I have to look at the block Monday , 

joy air compressor with a I h engine .. 

I was also using a temp gun , lower hose was cold , top ramped up on back of head 210 , no thermostat in it .

the one they sent me is larger in diameter .

it seems like block had air pocket ..in coolant system .

Wouldn't be the first waterpump to lose an impeller.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2021 at 11:43 AM, snoshoe said:

Wouldn't be the first waterpump to lose an impeller.

I was thinking about this unit ran it yesterday again the temp went up to 185 fast , I shut it down the engine sounds perfect 

put a new water pump in it , and A new distributor. , had head redone .Cylinder walls  look nice .,looks like some one rebuilt it .

I pulled the head again to look at head gasket , because I did not see it go on .. since one of my techs put it on ..

it was fine ..

I read a post where a guy that had one in a farmall said if he pulled to hard it would over heat , started thinking about it 

that the air end bearing was bad from sitting , pulled it apart and found this . The air end came apart and was acting like a brake a load ..

good news engines perfect bad news is compressor old not sure if I can get parts , any body need a c153 runs good .

picture of intake air end , head gasket 

Guess I will put head back on put engine on eBay ..

5834530F-DCF2-409F-A196-423B427875BC.png

636E9CF2-21E7-43CF-A400-DD63856EA954.jpeg

Is that  an oil flooded  screw compressor?

Hard to tell from the view angle.

If it is, you may try cleaning it up a bit, as these units are fairly robust.

If the nicks on the rotor are not too deep, you may get by with just a good cleaning , perhaps buff down any sharp edges with some mechanics cloth.

On the other hand, if the interior of the housing has deep gouges, air end is toast.

Good luck, keep us posted.

I think it’s a rotary vane , what I think I’m looking at there is the vanes that came apart ..

joy air compressor old not sure if you can get parts .

think eBay the engine ...sad I have never chopped up a machine this will be my first ..

Try these people.

www.compressorparts.com

You will need to call them with your model number, the website they have is not to easy to use.

I have put new vanes in an ingersoll rock drill motor, pert near the same concept.

Not a huge job.