Steiger Raba K598 Axle oil

Picked up a well used Panther ST-310 with K-598-30 axles and i am in the process of going over everything. I plan on changing all fluids, but have a question about the fluid in the planetaries and axle. The actual Steiger owners manual calls for EP90. From what i seem to understand EP90 is a GL-4 and i was about to buy some Mobil 80/90 that is a GL-5. Can these axles take GL-5 but made at a time when GL-4 was the only thing around? Anyone have one apart and know if they use brass?

Well i noticed today that one hub on the front is not true. The other axles show a pretty even gap all the way around the axles, this one there is a large gap at the bottom and none at the top. When driven the gap does not oscillate but remains open at the bottom. Pulled the drain plug on the hub with it lined up horizontal and did find some gold colored stuff in there. Slipped in a long piece of zip tie to gauge the oil depth since it was low and pulled it out and it was sparkling. The differential was replaced in the front somewhat recently. Any opinions on this? I will re-read the repair manual off bigtractorparts again tonight. Some pictures here, cant get a proper picture of the top gap of the hub but there is none.

IMG_0752 (2).jpg

IMG_0756 (2).jpg

IMG_0757 (2).jpg

IMG_0758 (2).jpg

That gear oil looks terrible....looks like you'll be taking the hubs off to see what's wrong. Those hubs have a stationary center that fits over the axle spindle , something along the lines of it's own spindle for the hub bearings. That space I think you are referring to doesn't mean much as long as the bearings are acceptable. Those bearings are large and expensive.

On 3/21/2021 at 9:42 PM, Worth Co. farmer said:

That gear oil looks terrible....looks like you'll be taking the hubs off to see what's wrong. Those hubs have a stationary center that fits over the axle spindle , something along the lines of it's own spindle for the hub bearings. That space I think you are referring to doesn't mean much as long as the bearings are acceptable. Those bearings are large and expensive.

19 hours ago, MoeSzyslak said:

Going to pull the wheels this morning and try to see if there is wiggle in the hub, and if so pop the cover off. Thank you for the info.

Those bearings are large,expensive and can have what appears to be heavy brinelling and still be acceptable for further service. As long as they are not shedding shiny flakes you shouldn't have to worry about the bearings.  Most of that grey paste is probably from the gear teeth.

We used to pull those hubs, tighten up the rolling torque and then switch them side to side.

• Like 1

Previous owner ran the front low on oil and seized the diff up solid quite a few years ago. As i pulled this apart with some help from Bigtractorparts i have come to the conclusion that alot of this is dust from the diff. Everything that was supposed to come out easy did not.  When i got to the bearing before the axle nut i noticed alot of condensation and stuff in the axle tube. When i finally got the bearing out to the axle nut that area was very rusty. You could grab the stuff and it would dissolve away when rubbed with your fingers. Everything spins quite fine and is very quiet. My plan is to loosen then re-tighten the axle nut to see if that removes the play i was seeing as suggested by bigtractorparts. Those guys really walked me through this when disassembly did not go as it normally should. As for the brass i think that is from the thrust bearing on the outsite cover. Did read the Steiger Raba manual calls for GL-5 which differs from the Steiger owners manual, so ill probably not worry and use a GL-5 oil.

Used to work on many 598 axles in 91/9280s back in the day. Brass in the oil generally came from one area...the differential carrier. The bushings between the spider gears and differential carrier would grind into the carrier housing; and the bushings between the spider gears and spider gear cross would break apart. Either problem would fill the axle housing full of brass shrapnel that would eventually migrate out into the hubs. The oils in the hubs and center section could mix back and forth so the shrapnel in the oil could ruin a lot of parts when all was said and done. We actually replaced entire axle assemblies on 9180s if the cost to repair the axle cost more than 2/3 the cost of a new axle....didn't take long when you started replacing all the gears in the planetaries. Axle bearings also used to fail when guys started putting triple tires on them and then weighted them down with chloride. 

Items #12 and #13 were common problems. The 9300 series Steigers fixed both problems...the bushings in the spider cross were replaced by needle bearings; the bushings on the end of the spider gears and the spider cross were changed to a "D" shape fit so that the bushings could no longer spin in the carrier.

598 axle differential.PNG

598 axle differential #2.PNG

Lol....depends on the vintage of tractor. Steiger & CaseIH recommended 80W-90 gear lube in the Raba axles until July 1989 at SN#JCB0003600(big serial # break for 91xx series tractors...lot of changes there). After that, they wanted Hy-Tran in the axles...until January 1994 when they announced they were going back to 80W-90 gear lube again. This occurred in the later stages of 9200 series production. Now...they didn't fully condemn the Hy-Tran, they just considered the gear lube the "oil of choice", as you will see in the bulletin I will share. Personally, I never seen much more problem with Hy-Tran in the axles overall; IHMO, the Raba axles were just not that good. You have to understand they were built over in Hungary behind the Iron Curtain at that time....communist work ethic combined with lack of modern technology make for a poor overall product. 

Then when the 9300 series came out, we went back to Hy-Tran in the axles. But that was for a different reason.

Steiger axle oil.PNG

• Thanks 1

we were told to use half gl-5 90 w and half lucas.

7 hours ago, randy hall said:

we were told to use half gl-5 90 w and half lucas.

Lucas has no lubricating properties it’s just a thickener unless they had an oil variant.