966 hydro engine rebuild

I am working on overhauling a 966 hydro for a guy and I'm not sure if he has a good way to break it in using the pto and I'm thinking it's not the best idea to take it to the field and pull it real hard. Does anyone have any suggestions on ways to break it in good? If it was one of my dad's we would throw it on the tub grinder and break it in. 

8 minutes ago, Young mechanic said:

I am working on overhauling a 966 hydro for a guy and I'm not sure if he has a good way to break it in using the pto and I'm thinking it's not the best idea to take it to the field and pull it real hard. Does anyone have any suggestions on ways to break it in good? If it was one of my dad's we would throw it on the tub grinder and break it in. 

Use JD break-in oil and use it as you normally would that's what I do and always worked well for me , Don't let it idle excessively and vary engine load for a few hours it will be fine

Then put it on the tub grinder and break it in. I don't know how long it takes to grind a load, but I would assume just over half an hour to an hour.  Two loads should seat things in.  Then tell him to run the guts out of it doing whatever he wants.  If you did your job right, it will be good. If you didn't, hopefully you will make it right. 

No different than the dealer putting it on the Dyno and running it hard for 2 hours before they send it out the door.  If you are worried, inform the owner what & why before doing it.