Jump to content

JET 8” bench Grinder


vtfireman85
 Share

Recommended Posts

Needed a new bench grinder, wanted a decent one, this one seemed to stand out as it was a 7A as opposed to the next largest i found, a dewalt at 4.3. Was about double the price but I hope it works out.

does anyone have one? Are you happy? 
I ordered it, supposed to be here next week. 
https://www.jettools.com/us/en/p/jbg-8b-8-shop-bench-grinder/577102

Link to comment
Share on other sites

....still made in the US,  Seth??

...Working in the Caribbean......project manager was very thrifty.......had some old "Jet"  electrical tools , but the PM brought all new Chinese crap.....Three yrs later when I left for home...the "Jet" tools were still going well...despite the gentle ministrations from the local....."boys''......but the Chinese stuff was bloody terrible....most of it gone .....

..I am normally quite calm...even working with those local blokes....but upon using a Chinese bench grinder......talking and reaching out..put my hand on the "body" of this grinder.....recieved 110   volts via my right arm.....I admit I lost the plot and hurled that piece of garbage into the dumpster...(this AFTER  disconnecting the power source....)

All the electrical  "wiring "  from the big  V12 Cat  and a big Johnny  D  Generators.....was done by a bloke from  Ghana..of all places....I know zero about  "wiring " up big generators....but I guess   ...rightly or wrongly....my Rubber soled Red Wings   that I always wore...may have "eased the pain"...so to speak..??

Mike

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, mike newman said:

....still made in the US,  Seth??

...Working in the Caribbean......project manager was very thrifty.......had some old "Jet"  electrical tools , but the PM brought all new Chinese crap.....Three yrs later when I left for home...the "Jet" tools were still going well...despite the gentle ministrations from the local....."boys''......but the Chinese stuff was bloody terrible....most of it gone .....

..I am normally quite calm...even working with those local blokes....but upon using a Chinese bench grinder......talking and reaching out..put my hand on the "body" of this grinder.....recieved 110   volts via my right arm.....I admit I lost the plot and hurled that piece of garbage into the dumpster...(this AFTER  disconnecting the power source....)

All the electrical  "wiring "  from the big  V12 Cat  and a big Johnny  D  Generators.....was done by a bloke from  Ghana..of all places....I know zero about  "wiring " up big generators....but I guess   ...rightly or wrongly....my Rubber soled Red Wings   that I always wore...may have "eased the pain"...so to speak..??

Mike

 

Made in china i am sure

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

JPW Industries is based out of La Vergne Tennessee. It was originally known as Walter Meirer Manufacturing, Inc., and represented the tools arm of Swiss based Walter Meier AG. In 2013, Tenex Capital Management purchased Walter Meirer Manufacturing, Inc. and named it JPW Industries to represent the three main brands – JET, Powermatic and Wilton.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

Needed a new bench grinder, wanted a decent one, this one seemed to stand out as it was a 7A as opposed to the next largest i found, a dewalt at 4.3. Was about double the price but I hope it works out.

does anyone have one? Are you happy? 
I ordered it, supposed to be here next week. 
https://www.jettools.com/us/en/p/jbg-8b-8-shop-bench-grinder/577102

that should work great for filing your nails seth

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pops has a belt/ platter sander that is a Jet, it seems to be a very nice tool, my needle scaler is also a Jet, I have nothing to compare that one to, but it is a real beast, if it were more aggressive I would not want to hang onto it. my hopes are high, I want a wire brush on one side, probably use the 60 grit stone. I have been dealing with a POS Cummins tool one, 6” that finally let the blue smoke out, if I tried to sharpen a 3/8 drill bit I would have to stop and let it wind up a couple times. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, mike newman said:

....still made in the US,  Seth??

If there is a USA made bench grinder out there, I am betting it is beyond my price range sadly. I know JET is Asian, but anything I have seen seems to be decent quality. I am sure with severe use by non owners the weaknesses would become apparent. 

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

Needed a new bench grinder, wanted a decent one, this one seemed to stand out as it was a 7A as opposed to the next largest i found, a dewalt at 4.3. Was about double the price but I hope it works out.

does anyone have one? Are you happy? 
I ordered it, supposed to be here next week. 
https://www.jettools.com/us/en/p/jbg-8b-8-shop-bench-grinder/577102

I have had some JET equipment,  It is what I call home owner equipment It Is grate for the person That uses it a few times a month and at that rate should last a life time

We have had Jet drill press  It lasted about 5 years being used one or two times a day and a Jet engine lathe that ran 8 hrs a day for 6 years and was pretty well worn out after that.

It's not like the equipment our fathers and grand fathers worked with that out lasted them, but for the price you pay for it it will serve you well under home owner use

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

if I tried to sharpen a 3/8 drill bit I would have to stop and let it wind up a couple times. 

Ha! I've got one of those too. Totally useless except for something real light. I find I use my belt/disc sander more than a bench grinder anyway. Anything else gets a hand-held. I keep my eye out for a good used one though. Jet looks pretty good. If it doesn't draw lots of amperage don't bother. I keep an open wire wheel on a 1 hp motor with just an arbor. It gives more angles to work with - just keep your glasses on!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

If there is a USA made bench grinder out there, I am betting it is beyond my price range sadly. I know JET is Asian, but anything I have seen seems to be decent quality. I am sure with severe use by non owners the weaknesses would become apparent. 

BALDOR is still US made.

   I bought a Delta at my last job, we got inventory reduction tool sales 3-4 times a year. It's an 8 inch, was $22.  We got some decent deals on DELTA and Porter Cable. My 3/8" butterfly impact, Porter Cable, was $8.00.  Then I spent about $125 on CRAFTSMAN 3/8" drive impact sockets. SAE, Metric, short & long.  Even my compressor is Porter Cable, bought it at Blain's Farm & Fleet, full 7-1/2 hp, 2 stage 80 gallon tank, 26 CFM, it always has at least 100 psi in it!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have the 8” dewalt, got it for cheap new on eBay. It’s not bad but also not the most powerful thing ever. If that got 7 amps to the Dewalt’s 4.3 then it should be a beast. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So far as I know JET is sourced from Taiwan of Red China.  My Brother has a Jet Lathe it has served him well for years. Don't know about recent stuff.

I got spoiled on grinders from my shipyard days where the 12", 5 HP, 440 3%.  waist high grinder was always available. Today I use an angle grinder for every thing.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It arrived today! I am very happy so far, i put the pieces on but haven't put steel to it.  It is a full 8 A, the mill we work for has a Baldor that is 3.8, i so far am impressed, spins up almost instantly and its darn heavy! 

19C35156-0A79-4F33-822C-5FA2DEC9CB69.jpeg

BA5BAEBE-8EAF-428A-A59C-D18FEF61C3D1.jpeg

E9F96BA5-0ECB-484D-B52A-3755A0F9DC93.jpeg

B4F2FE32-1AF7-4D76-A7F3-CB1AB1C193E9.jpeg

0F6643FC-E589-4D76-926B-171154779F0C.jpeg

1C3B1D19-8976-43B8-BE3E-B40ACED3434D.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ve seen many good Jet tools over the years, when I bought my first Snap On toolbox the closest contender to it was a Jet box, I chose the Snap On because it had better quality paint I figured, I’m quite fortunate to have my current bench grinder, it’s an old Delta on a pedestal 

C0CDEDE4-764D-4A76-8BE4-17E2EA28FCEA.thumb.jpeg.95ed5794be921de735ab31abc93e6978.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...