Where are our members from?

Born and raised in northwest Illinois, Stephenson County, seventh generation from Germany, family farm just missed being centennial farm by a few years, back in the late seventies 110 acres wasn’t enough to make a living for more than one family so got in an apprenticeship, saw a lot of the USA, now retired and looking to buy some land to teach my grand kids (ninth ) generation about how important farming really is😎

• Like 6
  • Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

20 miles east of Binghamton, NY and I81. The Susquehanna river and I88 are the north and south borders of the farm. Interesting topic. I did a member map in 2004 while I was laid up from surgery

Used to be in PA.................But I may have moved to the Soviet Union and never relocated?????

That has got to be the dumbest post I’ve ever made; ‘East of the Delaware River’ would put me in NEW JERSEY......  

Posted Images

20 Miles East of Peoria, IL....Metamora.   Land of flat black dirt.

• Like 3
10 hours ago, Dave Downs said:

Southeastern Pennsylvania, North of Philadelphia, East of the Delaware River, closest town is Doylestown, mailing address is Fountainville.

bitty’s original home farm is about 1/4 mile down the hill.

That has got to be the dumbest post I’ve ever made; ‘East of the Delaware River’ would put me in NEW JERSEY......

• Haha 9
6 hours ago, ihrondiesel said:

I thought I was all Dutch until I was out of high school. Then my Grandpa (Dad’s Dad) told me that yes, his family before him had moved here from the Netherlands, but they were originally German. Apparently the “bad” people in the family were asked to leave Germany and settle elsewhere so my family ended up in the Netherlands before coming to America. 

Our neighbors are Van Roekel's. He told me the same thing about them. They were actually German and changed their name from Von to Van went they ended up in Holland. I always wondered why they were Lutheran's instead of one of the Calvinist churches associated with the Dutch. I guess my Dutch great grandparents must have been bad Hollanders. They went to America.

• Like 3

Strathroy On.  Was at Watford On. Only moved 10 miles. 30 minutes strait east of Port Huron MI.

Right against hyway 402.

• Like 3
21 hours ago, farmer john 8910 said:

Pisgah IA, all the way west and about in the middle, home of the Old Home Filler Up and Keep on Truckin Cafe

I have one of C.W. Mc Calls albums that has that on it.

• Like 1

The peoples republic of the Keweenaw [north of the lift bridge]:D

only 2 traffic lights.

Mike

• Like 3
23 hours ago, ihrondiesel said:

Northwest Iowa

3E1EED62-72FA-484F-8B90-9543DEFAFE3D.jpeg

You can't be to far from Akron.

• Like 2

Currently in Red Wing MN. Hope to move closer to the homeplace near Zumbro Falls,MN.

• Like 3

East TN, about an hour north of Knoxville.  We consider ourselves "Appalachian Americans," after distancing ourselves from that awful old stereotype, "hillbilly."

As an old feller said to me recently:

"This holler I live in, is mean.  And the people just get meaner the farther up the holler you go.  Well brother let me tell ya, I leave ALL the way up it, at the end of a deadend road, upstairs, at the end of the hall, in the back bedroom!"

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
1 hour ago, TN Hillbilly said:

As an old feller said to me recently:

"This holler I live in, is mean.  And the people just get meaner the farther up the holler you go.  Well brother let me tell ya, I leave ALL the way up it, at the end of a deadend road, upstairs, at the end of the hall, in the back bedroom!"

That wouldn't be Copperhead Road, would it?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
2 hours ago, kal said:

You can't be to far from Akron.

I’m about 25 miles NE of Akron, near Ireton. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Mike H said:

The peoples republic of the Keweenaw [north of the lift bridge]:D

only 2 traffic lights.

Mike

We had a stop light in town when i was a kid, it was at the car wash!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Central calif  20 miles east of modesto my brother and I are seventh generation dryland grain farmers our home ranch is leased out to almonds but we still dryfarm some rented ground 

• Like 4
On 3/18/2021 at 7:11 PM, J-Mech said:

South eastern Illinois.  County borders the Wabash river.  I'm close to no town anyone would know.  Name of my closest town is Oblong.  My family has been here in this area farming since the 1800's.  

Actually my family moved from Virginia to that part of the world around 1814.  They homesteaded there.  Some of them moved north later.  Gonna travel down that way and look up those farms one of these summers.

• Like 1

Adelaida California must the best place in the world the way it has been attracting billionaires. William Hearst about 10 miles west stated it 100+ years ago. But he could see the sea from is hill top. This side the mountain many days you would not guess the ocean is less than 15 miles away. Hot days and cool nights have made it premium climate for wine grapes. Was the cheaper Napa 30 years ago, not so much any more. 

I am 4th generation to farm here, trying to get the 6th generation interested. G grandpa got here in 1897, to be here for the drought of 98.  We may have been drier in 2006? or so. 

By highway 120 miles west of Tony.

Today the address is Paso robles Ca, Adelaida post office was closed in 1936.

• Like 4

16162099174828764324893564144399.thumb.jpg.177879c19727d678435b5414c0049b41.jpgSleepy Eye MN, same one from the little house on the prairie books and home of the Sleepy Eye mill and stone wear

• Like 6
41 minutes ago, billonthefarm said:

Actually my family moved from Virginia to that part of the world around 1814.  They homesteaded there.  Some of them moved north later.  Gonna travel down that way and look up those farms one of these summers.

Family name?  Any of them stay here? 

On 3/18/2021 at 8:11 PM, J-Mech said:

South eastern Illinois.  County borders the Wabash river.  I'm close to no town anyone would know.  Name of my closest town is Oblong.  My family has been here in this area farming since the 1800's.  

Close to Allendale or Mt Carmel?  Had a couple of friends in that area once.  Tragically one was killed in a traffic accident on the way to classes at Vincennes one foggy morning.  Lost touch with the other over the years.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
23 hours ago, TomH said:

Pennsylvania, currently South central right next to that famous civil war town where President Lincoln gave his address on November 19 , 1863.

Also born 20 or so miles from the Liberty Bell!

My Farm was part of the Gettysburg campaign, the house built in 1810 was used by both sides as a headquarters and hospital and place to hang out.

Seems like us guys that were  born that close to the great symbol of America's freedom were forced out by houses,I guess they don't want farmers and food. I many times walked, rode bikes,motorcycles,

fished through Valley Forge Park where George Washington camped in the winter. 

• Like 3