Where are our members from?

vtfireman85

37 minutes ago, NY1468 said:

I’m just across the hedgerow from Seth in northeastern NY just outside the little town of fort ann... we used to find arrow heads, musket balls and a few cannon balls on the farm I grew up on. 

Seth, I need more syrup... the only thing left in the house for waffles in house in a plastic lady looking thing....

thats interesting, couple cannonballs stuck in the courthouse here in lexington mo about 40 miles NE of me 

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, DroschaFamilyDairy said:

Thanks!!  In Mid-Michigan,  Cross the Blue Water Bridge, You are in "London" Ontario, Canada.

Great City to tour,  Beautiful Farm acres in that community,  About a 2 1/2 Hour drive for our Family.

Several Years Ago My Wife and I Toured "London England"  , also Toured Large Dairy Farms and equipment Manufactures,    Stayed at a Few Bed & Breakfast's in that area.

Great Memories,  Jim Droscha

Used to be a lot of dairy farms around here. I don’t think there’s one left now. Twenty five years ago if you drive a few miles you would see cattle everywhere. Sadly most of them gone. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

48 minutes ago, DHF said:

hey, new jersey here, farm has been in our family since 1700s. if you look at a map of n,j, where i78 and i287 cross we are about a mile and 1/2 south west.

thats some old stuff, i did some minimal geneology and tracked a few relatives from the 1700s so this must be where your family settled when they came across the pond? The ones of ours i could find came over in the late 16 early 1700s out east and then started moving south and west to where most of us are now. Western KS, Western NE is the farthest any of our clan got on moms side then some came back to MO. 

• Like 2

Grew up in Sudbury Ma, about 25 miles east of Boston, Family acreage was sold off now I hang myHat about 80 miles Northeast of Boston in Royalston Ma, North Quabbin Valley , maybe 5 miles from New Hampshire border, Surrounded by many square miles of State park land , Small town with about 2000 people ,Very rural (for mass) Tractors and old trucks in peoples front yards ?

My place is just north of the intersection of rt32 and rt68 The bigger building is the barn .

House is kinda in the trees

2077929525_284atholrichmondroyalston.thumb.png.f2b52cfb2c423a2b8de4d315d588516a.png

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Farmall 1466 said:

All the way from the Netherlands!

My grandfather used to a farmer and was a contractor, he has been using red ever since the beginning. Not always IH tho. His first tractor was a Güldner G40, a German tractor which still is in the family. Has been with us since 1961. Also had lots of IH tractors, mostly European.

Always good to hear from the Netherlands, as well as the rest of Europe and the world.  My heritage is completely Dutch with my mother’s parents having come from the Netherlands, as well as my father’s mother.  My father’s father was the son of a Dutch immigrant.

I live in the NW corner of IA a few miles north of Alton IA.  Grew up a few miles east of Sioux Center.

• Like 6

Central Iowa Des Moines now. Grew up farming in  Steamboat Rock Iowa. Farmed there for 33 years.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Farmall 1466 said:

All the way from the Netherlands!

My grandfather used to a farmer and was a contractor, he has been using red ever since the beginning. Not always IH tho. His first tractor was a Güldner G40, a German tractor which still is in the family. Has been with us since 1961. Also had lots of IH tractors, mostly European.

My wife used to have a leather shop and made lots of chaps and “chinks”. She sold a pair to a guy in the Netherlands, and he made the comment about wanting to learn how to rope. Long story, but we invited him to come for a week and attend a number of different “brandings” with us. He was fun, and interesting. 

• Like 3

Great ,Great Grandpa Joseph (b 1809-1863) on Dad's side from Trpik (Turpes), Czech Republic.

Great Grandpa Wenzel (b 1854- 1926) from Trpik to Bear Valley, WI

Grandpa Tony (b 1894- 1977)  Bear Valley, WI to Madison, WI

Dad (b 1924-2020)  Bear Valley, WI to Madison, WI

Paul (Rainman, b 1951- ) Madison, WI to rural Dane County, WI

• Like 5

15 hours ago, junkandcattle said:

Before someone else lays claim to it. Just a couple minutes from the bunghole of the earth?

I'd argue that point with you.

For three months, I 'attempted' to 'live' in the REAL azzhole of "America", when I was in Laredo, Mexico, er, Texas, er, Mexico, whose only real 'advantage' over 'living in the Lower Rio Grande Valley, was that it is 125 miles or so closer to San Antonio.  Second all time worst was just working out of Houma, LA.

Even I don't 'hate' good ol' Dunlap, IA, (where I grew up) as much as either of those two places, although I wouldn't pizz on the town if it were on fire. (Funny how much difference there are between the memories of my sister and myself)

The only places I have been somewhat happy living in were Bucklin, KS, and the NW side of San Antonio, and Colorado would have been all right, if only our yard had been further east from the I-25 corridor. (Maybe around Keota or Hereford ?)

• Like 3

Eva, AL. Between Decatur, Huntsville, Cullman and Arab.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, jass1660 said:

Doesn’t show up on mobile versions though. 

It will show up on mobile if you tap on someone’s avatar or name. 

• Like 3

Grew up in Howard County Indiana 

Went east after Grampa retired and sold off.

Lived in Arizona in the 90s

Currently in the Armpit of New England aka Rhode Island 

Fortunate enough to be out in the woods along the CT boarder  

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Tonyinca said:

FRESNO , CA.

In the “central San Joaquin Valley of Ca .”

4hrs north of LA and 3 1/2 hrs South of San Francisco . ( Unfortunately ,wish it was farther !) 
2  hrs North of “ the Streets of Bakersfield !” Love the Bakersfield sound.
    5 miles S/W of little community of Easton that we claim as home .

tony

Spent several weekends around Bakersfield 20 years ago. We’d take pigs to farmer John’s in Vernon then sit till Monday to load up fat Holsteins for back east. Made it to the crystal palace several times and heard buck Owens live on saturdays. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Gearclash said:

Always good to hear from the Netherlands, as well as the rest of Europe and the world.  My heritage is completely Dutch with my mother’s parents having come from the Netherlands, as well as my father’s mother.  My father’s father was the son of a Dutch immigrant.

I live in the NW corner of IA a few miles north of Alton IA.  Grew up a few miles east of Sioux Center.

I thought I was all Dutch until I was out of high school. Then my Grandpa (Dad’s Dad) told me that yes, his family before him had moved here from the Netherlands, but they were originally German. Apparently the “bad” people in the family were asked to leave Germany and settle elsewhere so my family ended up in the Netherlands before coming to America. 

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, ihrondiesel said:

were originally German. Apparently the “bad” people in the family were asked to leave Germany and settle elsewhere so my family ended up in the Netherlands before coming to America. 

My maternal grandfathers people also came here under those circumstances in the early 1800's landing in Alabama. Dad's people trace back to Ireland, came over here in the 1600's.  I grew up in VA and have been here most of my life. Last 30 years pretty much right in the center of the state.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Art From Coleman said:

I'd argue that point with you.

For three months, I 'attempted' to 'live' in the REAL azzhole of "America", when I was in Laredo, Mexico, er, Texas, er, Mexico, whose only real 'advantage' over 'living in the Lower Rio Grande Valley, was that it is 125 miles or so closer to San Antonio.  Second all time worst was just working out of Houma, LA.

Even I don't 'hate' good ol' Dunlap, IA, (where I grew up) as much as either of those two places, although I wouldn't pizz on the town if it were on fire. (Funny how much difference there are between the memories of my sister and myself)

The only places I have been somewhat happy living in were Bucklin, KS, and the NW side of San Antonio, and Colorado would have been all right, if only our yard had been further east from the I-25 corridor. (Maybe around Keota or Hereford ?)

I thought I would get more takers. Nope I don't care much for most of Texas that I have seen. Sister was in Del Rio probably 40 years ago I thought it was pretty sh!t!y then. Galveston and San Antonio were really nice.

• Like 2

How many years did the person live in the area they say they are from?

Old folks could have spent years in multiple places giving a broad perspective on various areas.

I spent 19 years in the South Carolina low country near Myrtle Beach.

I spent 2 years in Waukegan Il North of Chicago on Lake Michigan.

I spent 10 years in Southern Cal Los Angeles South to Mexico

I spent 18  years in Northern Ca North of San Francisco In the Napa area. 

I have currently spent 28 years in North Texas AND consider myself to be a Texan.  BUT you will notice that I actually have spent the same  time in the State of California. I once voted for Barbara Boxer for Congress because, strange as it may sound, was the least left of the others on the ticket!

Many nice folks all over the World too! Singapore and Kenya come to mind.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ihrondiesel said:

I thought I was all Dutch until I was out of high school. Then my Grandpa (Dad’s Dad) told me that yes, his family before him had moved here from the Netherlands, but they were originally German. Apparently the “bad” people in the family were asked to leave Germany and settle elsewhere so my family ended up in the Netherlands before coming to America. 

In a lot of ways, the Netherlands was as much the melting pot of Europe as the US was and still is the melting pot of the world. 

• Like 1

Leslie Mo. I normally tell people Sullivan MO.  I live in Spring Bluff, have a leslie mailing adress and Strain Japan phone number.  So..... uh. 

Bout 65 miles west of St louis down hwy 44. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

If you are from the north I was born and raised in Gettysburg, if you are south of the mason dixon line I am from Littlestown pa?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Born and raised in Texas and damn proud of it.  l live in Tye, Texas (just west of Abilene) home of Dyess AFB. That's the place where the USAF has machines called B-1B's that convert copious amounts of jet fuel into extremely loud noise....

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, twostepn2001 said:

Born and raised in Texas and damn proud of it.  l live in Tye, Texas (just west of Abilene) home of Dyess AFB. That's the place where the USAF has machines called B-1B's that convert copious amounts of jet fuel into extremely loud noise....

Been there done that (Dyess).  The B1s are crazy loud.

• Like 2