td-6 let the games begin!

Is that the one upper roller? I noticed it looked flat spotted, does it spin freely on the shaft?

Yes! The upper roller. It spins really nice and isn't leaking, that's why I think they had a limb caught in it or something. 

Not going as well on the split bushing idea so far, not sure if it's the 90 degree temps or 95 percent humidity. 

• Like 1

I could tell early on your a geterdun kinda guy...lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/5/2021 at 7:33 AM, busted knuckles said:

Yes! The upper roller. It spins really nice and isn't leaking, that's why I think they had a limb caught in it or something. 

Not going as well on the split bushing idea so far, not sure if it's the 90 degree temps or 95 percent humidity. 

Upper rollers get like that when people don't shovel out their tracks. Looked at some excavators for a friend when he was buying one, could always tell who was BS'ing me when they said they always kept their tracks shoveled off.

• Like 2

This poor old critter had six buckets of dirt and grease in the oil pan protector, even a two inch around branch that I couldn't get out till I dropped the plate. Had to patch up eight pin holes in the oil pan from rotting in the garbage. 

Well I re-installed the left track with my 1 1/4" water pipe half rounds welded in place, now to see if it will hold up at all when I get the clutch together. I got the parts yesterday and hope to work on it, I'll pull the roller soon as I see if this repair does any good.

• Like 1

Are you going to try one side before starting on the other?

Oh yeah! This side had all exposed pins that were in direct contact with the sprocket, the other side is a whole lot better. I built up a few of the real bad pins as I went. Driving some back roads and asking some old farmers if they know of a dead td6, you just never know. Had one that said he knew where there were three a few years back but gone now. 

• Sad 1

It will be very interesting how this goes. The fewer the parts the more creative you must be. You probably know this but water pipe comes in sch80, sch120 etc. That's a thicker wall same OD. Try to stay away from galvanized, that weld smoke is Baaad.

breathed enough galvanized in the past to know enough to avoid it. I had a chuck of regular pipe that I used for the experiment, but yes in the future if I get any use out of this, I will do a winter project with thick wall. 

• Like 1

Well I spent the morning doing some blading on the trail and almost lost the track twice. I think that my adjuster is slipping on me, all of the sudden it would have a loose track again.  I don't see a problem with the rod threads so maybe the nut is stripped, got tired of climbing on and off, pulling levers and hitting brakes so done for the day.

• Like 1

A track chain is way more precision that it appears. If it is tight then loose is is likely inconsistent bushing spacing and or height. You might try a piece of plywood with very evenly spaced cut outs, covering 6 or more links , to use as a jig when welding in bushing caps.

• Like 1

Tracks are toast even with my inserts. Problem is that the hill that I am putting a path down has a sharp turn at the top and leans to the left side where the bad track is. Also getting a lot of roots sticking out of the bank on the side, walked it back on the rear then a rock started it off on the from so I quit for the day. So far all of my inserts are still in place.

1108940 also fits TD9's.  See my starter posting on the engine page but yours should be the same as mine. I will be picking up a new starter in the morning to replace the manual bendix and will let you know the part number if that helps.

• Like 1

BK- this is what I meant by a "curved" fuel filter housing. It was an update when they went to a D350 motor around 1956. It allows just enough room to put a solenoid type starter on the machine.  This may not work for you unless you can find one of these later style housings.  My starter # is 4883 with 30MT and 12 teeth on the drive.  Not sure this helps you.?

20210724_140655_HDR.jpg

Edited by td9bcf180
error

Ya, not much help to you. I was just lucky enough to have these parts off the TD9-91.

I’m a couple of weeks late on the top roller subject but I seem to remember that KoO @King of Obsolete runs with  a wooden block in place of top rollers on his winter freighting cats. Not sure how it would hold up in the dirt but it might keep you moving.  Might not be much different than a flat roller. 

lol, sounds like my kind of mechanic, might have to ask him for tips. It's been so hot, that I left it set when it started to throw the front of the track. It's so tight being up on the top and in the center groove, that I can't get the adjuster to work. Broke a 18" pipe wrench on it so far.

I don't know the pound rating on your springs maybe 2-4 thousand pounds each? If you can get a come-a-long on each side of the track and bring them in evenly. you could wrap your strap around the idler end over track and all if need be,  maybe?

Be Careful