No, just no

nomorejohndeere

• 4 weeks later...

I kinda like it.  Dont have a hood.  Lets use this one.  That is what rat rod/hot rod should be imho.  The little pickup i like better.

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen rat rods that looked a lot worse than the one with a Farmall hood!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Rat rods to me are typically useless junk all cobbled together and a waste of good parts that someone else can use to restore a vehicle properly.  Most are unsafe, at least, every one I have ever seen at a car or truck show. It's like people are proud of poor quality,  crap engineering and bad welds.

• Like 2

Lets use a refrigerator door for the passenger side,  an old reel type lawnmower for a seat, a Dodge neon engine for power and a 48 Ford truck cab to house this conglomeration of crap. 

That's my rat rod summation. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Ya know, I get it. 

War time, vehicles, parts, money was scarce and people did what they could to get something rolling. 

Maybe this is a way of honoring those creative individuals. 

My hat is off to them. 

But these guys today seem to go out of their way to make them look as bad as possible. That I don't get. 

Watched a show "Diesel Brothers" I think. They took a cherry 48 Willys Jeep Pickup (beautiful paint and straight as a string) and trashed it to make a rat rod. That was criminal in my book. 

Guess I drove junk long enough, In this day and age, I appreciate something that looks nice. 

I will not be joining the rat rod fad. 

• Like 3

On 5/12/2021 at 6:34 AM, Frank H said:

Rat rods to me are typically useless junk all cobbled together and a waste of good parts that someone else can use to restore a vehicle properly.  Most are unsafe, at least, every one I have ever seen at a car or truck show. It's like people are proud of poor quality,  crap engineering and bad welds.

Yeah, well some people deify the Kardashians too.  So there you go. 

In the early 90s I acquired this 1930 Model A for $500.  It was too far gone to be anything but 2what I could dream up.  My friends all had show cars and  I kept telling them that this Model A was going to be a show car as they laughed.  I told them that Bondo and paint would make it a show car so I started on the car.  I went to the Early Ford Store in San Dimas, Calif and found some rusty items that he could  not sell that would work on the car, added a Beer keg, Milk can with battery in it and old Lincoln wire hubcaps.  Bill the owner of Early Ford Store told me that guys came after seeing my rusty bucket A at car shows and cleaned him out of old rusty parts (This was the start of Rat Rods in S Calif).  Bill bought more truck loads of old A parts and was selling the parts all over the world. 

I took it to a car show in Prescott, AZ (2nd pic) with my friends cars there.  It was ugly but it ran, and my friends got me the Trophy for Best Paint & Upholstery.  I then made a ragtop for the car using a military Jeep top and glued rags, outside & inside, added other old trinkets.  I took it to "Run to the Sun" in Lake Havasu City and won Best of Show (Pic 4) which they had to kick me off the stage so the announcer could talk (The crowd was hollering & clapping). 

I then went home and found  Barn wood which then it became a Motorhome.  I built a trailer out of Barn wood and decorated it with funny & clever  items.  It had the outhouse in the front and the back wall folded down for the bedroom.  I won many shows with this and had show directors wanting to pay me to bring it to their show as far away as Tennessee.  I had shows every weekend  to go to and it was "out of hand" with all the requests. (Pic 5 & 6).

I finally took it to Mecum Auctions and drove it thru the auction selling for $20,000.  It was shipped to Florida. (Pic 7)

FordMdlARagtopa..jpg

P1012378.JPG

P1013104.JPG

TT03A.jpg

P1010008a.jpg

P1010010a.jpg

Mecum Auction 8-17-13a.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...