Been a while since I have seen these.......

Doing an OH on a 5288. Nice original tractor. As best as we could tell it had never been apart until now. Once we removed the crank the bearings confirmed our suspicions. The bearings actually look amazingly good. None of the rod or mains showed any discoloring. Kind of fun to see the old original IH bearings.

KIMG2089.jpg

KIMG2087.jpg

KIMG2086.jpg

KIMG2082.jpg

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

Doing an OH on a 5288. Nice original tractor. As best as we could tell it had never been apart until now. Once we removed the crank the bearings confirmed our suspicions. The bearings actually look amazingly good. None of the rod or mains showed any discoloring. Kind of fun to see the old original IH bearings.

KIMG2089.jpg

KIMG2087.jpg

KIMG2086.jpg

KIMG2082.jpg

Neighbor just had a caseih reman installed in his original but rough 5488. I don’t think he ever had anything done to that engine either. It is amazing how the engines in the later 1979 on tractors lasted longer than the early 1466 and early 86 engines.

2 minutes ago, WisIHCFarmer said:

We did the engine on a 6500 hour 1486 and had a fair amount of copper showing.

That’s what I was talking about. The first 7 or 8 years of dt production didn’t last as long as the later ones. We did have a 1850 loadstar that had a bunch of hours on a original dt 466. We broke a rocker arm on it. Right after we got it I was almost positive valve cover had not been off truck since it was new in 1976.

Probably more than anything, that engine had good routine maintenance. Oil changed, air filters. Wasn't lugged to death. Neighbor bought a late '79 1086 on one of our neighbors farm sale spring of '91. Took it to the area dealership after the sale to have some stuff fixed on it. Rear main was leaking, so he wanted that fixed too. Ended up having a set of mains and rods put in because the bearings were pure copper @ 4000 hours. This tractor was bought new by the neighbor who had the farm sale in 1980. It was a hold over '79 that didn't get sold, and she was ran hard with a whip behind it. It was a true 80s neglected farm crisis tractor.

Building a 414 in a 1066 Hydro right now, bearings marked 8-72. Positive that the pan has never been removed, head I believe has been removed. Pin holes in liners as well as upper o-ring groove. No coolant filter.........

• Like 3

Looks good.  My 186 had never had the engine open period.  17000 hrs.  Can get out of shed and stick on manure pump and she will hardly use a drop of oil in 12 hrs at 2100 rpm still.  Ran mixer box from 4000 to 17000.  But the 80 886 which did blower duty had copper/blue bearings at 4000ish when dad traded it in.  

• Like 1

From my perspective, I have never had an issue with Rotella. I've used plenty of Delo in the past and was always somewhat disappointed with it's longevity as well as higher ash content. Good bearing on teardown (as these show) is not only an indication of good maintenance but also a look into how the machine was used, or abused. Lugging and general use at max operations will show up in more than just bearing as well.  

I've found that one of the secrets to longevity of any machine is to get something a little bigger than needed then don't work it at its max on a continual basis. Just because you have the power to pull a 8 bottom plow or 100 ft planter doesn't mean you have to do it.... Not working yourself to the max will increase your longevity, same as in equipment ....... 

• Like 1

No idea what you’re talking about N Simage.thumb.jpg.40323b4884edf1b1e47fd8506118a4d0.jpg9ABC3E3E-06AB-45B4-8FEA-206E450C79BC.thumb.jpeg.ddfcdbfe31b06e25172bc0a46aaba20a.jpeg

I cringe when guys talk about cutting hay with 75-90 hp tractors. We only have small discbines, and I sure wouldn’t want to try spinning one with 90hp.  These tedders can make 75hp grunt.   

• Like 1

Those IH 5288 bearings above, no copper, but what are those poc marks?  I’m not a mechanic, but I’ve never really seen that.  Ones out of our 856 had a few, just a few marks like that and my mechanic buddy suggested it might have  been from sitting. Tractor sat for three years, only being moved around the guy’s garage a few times, before I bought it. 

I cut hay for many years with my 856, it handled the old hydro swing just fine, but the new one really made it work in heavy hay. Now I cut with the 5088 and the hydro swing hardly works the tractor at all.