1066 Wheatland

That picture shows the brass fitting. 
you just have to drill and tap a hole for 1/8” pipe thread that lines up with the hole in the rubber dust cover when installed. 

It appears to me to be a regular 1066: ordered 3 point ready with swinging drawbar and PTO delete.  With the cab, it was likely ordered set up to pull tillage equipment out west.  

I am going to be replacing the left spindle. Messicks lists the part number as 401768R92 which supersedes to 71785C92. Looking at tractor parts ASAP they show two different part numbers, 100848 and 104345 as replacing the 71785C92. I am thinking the 104345 is the correct one. Anyone know which would be the correct spindle to order?

17 hours ago, ChrisMo said:

I am going to be replacing the left spindle. Messicks lists the part number as 401768R92 which supersedes to 71785C92. Looking at tractor parts ASAP they show two different part numbers, 100848 and 104345 as replacing the 71785C92. I am thinking the 104345 is the correct one. Anyone know which would be the correct spindle to order?

All those spindles are spec'ed out on the site.  Spline count, size, length.  Then the wheel spindle bearing size.  It is frustrating there are so many different ones.  Pull yours all the way out and measure it, compare to the specs for new.  Only way to know which one is right.  We can't verify your spindle size, only you can. 

On 3/21/2021 at 9:34 PM, stronger800 said:

Long axles are also very uncommon here in NY. 

Well a chop saw fixes them long ones here.....

Its a special ordered 1066 with what 99% of us would say are "wheatland" features.  Who care? 

Looks faiiirly clean and if nothing major mech wise is wrong it looks like a good ol gal.  FWIW.  You maybe better cleaning it up and selling it and finding a 3pt and pto equipped one.  At least here I would say that.  Have fun fixing it up! 

Both part numbers have the same dimensions listed on the website and neither one lists a spline count. I messaged tractor parts asap a few days ago but haven't received a response yet. 

I am no pro, but we have 5 of those 66’s, and I’ve had spindles out of most of them and want to say that as long as you buy the arm that matches the spindle, as a set, then they will fit into the knee.  Our local shop only stocks one. I says “66 series” on it.   They are the same right or left, but the steering arm on top is different side to side. 

3 hours ago, ChrisMo said:

Both part numbers have the same dimensions listed on the website and neither one lists a spline count. I messaged tractor parts asap a few days ago but haven't received a response yet. 

I'm having issues getting in contact with ASAP also.  We've bought several thousand dollars worth of parts off them this year and now I can't get through on the phone and they won't return my calls.  I do not know what is going on.

As far as the spindle, some of them are from different manufacturers I think, which would be reflected in price, and possibly build style.  I'm sorry I can't be more help, but look through the CIH online parts and find an OEM number that matches yours.  Then you can check the cross reference list against the ASAP part.  (OEM replacement numbers are usually listed.)  I went through all this last year on a customer tractor.  It took even me (a veteran tech) a while to get it narrowed down to the correct spindle. 

I think that basically there is only one spindle but there is a difference in the spline area and you need to get the correct steering arm for  your spindle .   Axial-flow 

On 3/22/2021 at 3:38 PM, ChrisMo said:

Just got internet back today. Has been out the last several days. I called it a Wheatland as that it what the seller called it. Prior to purchasing the tractor I tried researching a bit on Wheatlands as I have never heard of a 66 series Wheatland before. Seems the waters are muddy on that a bit. Have a few more pictures of the 3 point area. The quadrant appears to have never been used which is why I had thought about putting it on my 756 as that quadrant is fairly worn. Will likely leave it on this tracotr though. Don't know if I will install the 3 pt on this 1066 or not but definitely want to add a pto. 

3 pt 3.jpg

3 pt 2.jpg

3 pt.jpg

Where did tractor come from? I would save the rock shaft covers and cylinder hooks. While the 66 series didn’t have a wheatland option. You certainly have a tractor that matches what was sold up here. I have seen a few of those swinging drawbar , non 3 pt arm tractors from factory. Suprising somebody cheapened tractor by deleting pto but ordered long axles and rockshaft. We have a non 3 pt 1256 with long axles and a 1066 like yours without rockshaft with medium axles.

I bought this tractor out of SE Wisconsin. Took a few months to get it home due to weather and trouble finding a hauler. Hour meter is at 48XX though the tach doesn't work. Other than the lack of maintenance seems to be in good shape. Shifters are tight and the ta seems to work. Just trying to get it ready to go to work. Primary use will be for chisel plowing and discing. Would like to add a pto for baling hay.

I dont know where the serial number break is, but some spindles have a snap ring that the arm bottoms out on, and some have a shoulder that the arm bottoms on. 

Theres also TaperLok spindles.

I have also seen at the 90 degree part of the spindle, factory ones dont have a bunch of meat, and some after market ones are lime a solid block at the bottom. 

This one is not the taper lock as the splines have no taper to them. The steering arm is sandwiched between the lock nut on top and a large snap ring on bottom. The snap ring groove in the spindle is badly worn so the snap ring no longer stays in place allowing the steering arm to move around and wore the splines on the steering arm and the spindle. When I pulled the steering arm off the snap ring came off with the steering arm instead of staying in the groove on the spindle. I am guessing this wear is fairly common as on my 756 wfe the steering arms have been welded to the spindles and most of the tractors I have seen at auction or on dealer lots also have the steering arms welded to the spindles. Makes for a fun job when it comes time to replace the spindle bushings and thrust bearings. I went ahead and ordered a new spindle and steering arm. Will find out in a few days if I got the right ones.

On 3/24/2021 at 9:10 AM, ChrisMo said:

They are good for calling.  Always helpfull...an easier than guessing 

• 2 months later...

Haven't been on in a while. Got a lot of work done on the 1066 the last couple of months. Right now I am looking for a new muffler as mine fell off while discing and got ran over (bottom rusted out). I was reading through the old posts and most seem to agree the Stanley and Nelson mufflers are low quality and not much quieter than a straight pipe. I don't need an original muffler, just something quieter than no muffler. Are than any options besides Stanley or Nelson? Does Bermuda Ken still make mufflers?