1066 Wheatland

Hello, all. I recently purchased a 1066 Wheatland (U040555) and am in the process of getting it ready to work. Has a few minor problems that need repaired like the right front tie rod being held together with a piece of wire, the left steering arm is loose on the spindle and the fuel tank shut off valve leaks. I would also like to add a PTO to the tractor. Haven't had much luck finding one locally at a reasonable price yet though. Interestingly, this tractor never had a three point yet it still has the three point quadrant and levers installed. If there is no reason to leave the quadrant and levers on this tractor I would like to remove it to replace the worn out quadrant on my 756. I will try to post some pictures once it stops raining. 

• Like 1

On 3/17/2021 at 7:41 PM, ChrisMo said:

Interestingly, this tractor never had a three point yet it still has the three point quadrant and levers installed. If there is no reason to leave the quadrant and levers on this tractor I would like to remove it to replace the worn out quadrant on my 756.

If it has a quadrant lever, it had 3pt.  I'm not sure what you are wanting to remove, but you can't just unbolt the quadrant and remove it.  It's a lot more complicated than that.  It can be removed from the system, but you'll need some parts.  3pt has priority in that system.  When it is not in use, oil is diverted through the unloading valve to the remotes.  

Don't know how much you think a PTO is worth, but to buy one outright it's going to cost. 

Hope too see some pictures of it.  Don't think I've ever seen a 66 series Wheatland tractor.

My 2" socket came today so I went ahead and took the left steering arm that was loose on the spindle off to check things out. Appears the snap ring groove in the spindle is badly worn and the spline in the steering arm are worn as well so looks like I will be replacing the spindle, steering arm and the bushings in the knee assemble.

Snap ring.jpg

Steering arm.jpg

Spindle groove.jpg

Why do you think its a wheatland?  It has adjustable axles front & rear,  has a t/a & dual remotes which wheatlands dont have.  The 06 to 56 used the name wheatland but were stripped down as didnt come with t/a,  pto,  non adjustable axle & single hydraulic remote for customer's that wanted a lower priced tractor.  Appears someone has taken the 3pt hitch arms off as the rock shaft is there,  put on different draw bar setup.  Over the last 50 years its anyone guess what happens to stuff.  I have a 766 & 1066,  neither of them have 3pt from factory & there big plugs driven into the cast housing where the rock shaft would go.  Curious,  if your tractor had a 3pt hitch would people call it a Row Crop?  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ChrisMo said:

Other side

Other side.jpg

Ok.... yeah, that's not a Wheatland.  Just another 1066. It definitely has 3pt and someone removed the arms.  Has a swinging drawbar which was optional. 

11 hours ago, redturbo said:

Curious,  if your tractor had a 3pt hitch would people call it a Row Crop?  

I'd say someone told him it was a wheatland.  Doesn't matter what people want to call it, it's still a row crop. 

• Thanks 1

I would consider that a cabbed wheatland. 

There is no doubt this is how this tractor left the factory. Still has the factory covers over the splines rockshaft. It never had the rest of the arms. Also notice it has check valves on the remotes. 

It was absolutely an option to be order in this exact fashion. 

Screenshot_20210321-115142_Samsung Internet.jpg

35 minutes ago, Dan Robinson said:

I would consider that a cabbed wheatland. 

But it is a row crop.  Nothing about it makes it a Wheatland.  Adjustable front axle, long row crop rear axles, 18.4-38 tires, T/A, foot clutch.  It is a 1066 with no PTO, no lift arms and a swinging drawbar.  All available factory option for a row crop tractor.  I see the covers on the splines now, so I agree it was like that from factory, which would also go against it being a "Wheatland" tractor.  It's just a 1066. 

50 minutes ago, J-Mech said:

Exactly.

So your saying because it has an adjustable front axle it's not a wheatland?

In theory there was no 66 series wheatlands. Wide coverage fenders were just an option. I have never seen any material about about a 66 Wheatland. 

But im still going to call it a wheatland. Generally that rear-end setup is only found out west.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Dan Robinson said:

So your saying because it has an adjustable front axle it's not a wheatland?

In theory there was no 66 series wheatlands. Wide coverage fenders were just an option. I have never seen any material about about a 66 Wheatland. 

No, I think I was pretty clear on what I was saying.  I made a list.

I think we've mucked up this thread enough for the OP to continue on.  

10 minutes ago, Dan Robinson said:

But im still going to call it a wheatland. Generally that rear-end setup is only found out west.

Ok, we'll I'm going to call it a row crop because it is.  Now we can just cross our arms and glare.  No need to debate any further. 

I have this 1466 with a swinging draw bar, pto, T/A,  red cab.... looks just like the above 1066....other than mine has no 3pt related items...but I wish it did, because it’s a row crop tractor....that my father bought cheap...since it has no 3pt, and we’re in NY, were wheatlands don’t exist image.thumb.jpg.7c0b03ec30a5175bcf9fbfe508cd81db.jpg

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, stronger800 said:

I have this 1466 with a swinging draw bar, pto, T/A,  red cab.... looks just like the above 1066....other than mine has no 3pt related items...but I wish it did, because it’s a row crop tractor....that my father bought cheap...since it has no 3pt, and we’re in NY, were wheatlands don’t exist image.thumb.jpg.7c0b03ec30a5175bcf9fbfe508cd81db.jpg

Short rear axles too.

The axles on the OP's tractor are long. 

1 minute ago, stronger800 said:

Long axles are also very uncommon here in NY. 

Odd.  With all the hills, I'd think they would be standard.  3 different axle lengths as I recall.  Here in Illinois, the middle ones were common.  Not really long, not stubs like yours.  

This is an 856 I'm working on.  These axles are what we see most often.  If you zoom in, the 1026 in back has the same ones. 

20210224_115431.thumb.jpg.6d3235131379300d005e0b02323592b7.jpg

Looks like factory installed caps over the rock shaft arm splines, I’d say it was ordered with the option for 3 point, but never had the arms installed.  Back in the early 2000’s my dad was buying and selling tractors out of the Dakota’s, and we had at least 1 or 2 66’s with the same setup.  Odd thing happened or were ordered on those 66’s in the Dakota’s!!! 
Dad hauled home a lot of brand new oem flattop fenders from out there!! Farmer bought the tractor with fenders, and the next spring it was getting a cab because of the harsh winters, and the fenders came back home with the cabbed tractor, fenders were hung in a shed.

I sure wish we would have taken pictures of all those loads of tractors, fenders, and weights!!! 

Just got internet back today. Has been out the last several days. I called it a Wheatland as that it what the seller called it. Prior to purchasing the tractor I tried researching a bit on Wheatlands as I have never heard of a 66 series Wheatland before. Seems the waters are muddy on that a bit. Have a few more pictures of the 3 point area. The quadrant appears to have never been used which is why I had thought about putting it on my 756 as that quadrant is fairly worn. Will likely leave it on this tracotr though. Don't know if I will install the 3 pt on this 1066 or not but definitely want to add a pto. 

3 pt 3.jpg

3 pt 2.jpg

3 pt.jpg

• Like 1

I am planning to convert the remote couplers to pioneer/ISO couplers. I have read some people mention drilling a hole and adding a drain line to the coupler housing. None of the instructions I have seen for the conversion kits mention this step. Could someone post some pictures and/or instructions for the drain lines?